Dusty PC from a Pentium 3 Pictures

Old April 6th 13, 03:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Gabriel Knight[_11_]

Default Dusty PC from a Pentium 3 Pictures

I had to clean a PC from a video shop running win98 it had no rear fan
so it got a little dusty since it was in the shop for about 7 years this
was my dustiest and most unliked refurbish job as the amount of dust
cleaning with a paint brush done outside was still bad enough with
outside wind to get in my eyes and bad for my lungs and by the way 7
year old dust has a bad taste! Mayhaps for the reason the power supply
blew up and the hard drive no longer worked -a lesson to not let your PC
get over dusty. Enjoy the pictures do you have any as well to share?

http://s836.photobucket.com/user/sie...62a68.jpg.html

GK
Old April 7th 13, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Gabriel Knight wrote:
I had to clean a PC from a video shop running win98 it had no rear fan
so it got a little dusty since it was in the shop for about 7 years this
was my dustiest and most unliked refurbish job as the amount of dust
cleaning with a paint brush done outside was still bad enough with
outside wind to get in my eyes and bad for my lungs and by the way 7
year old dust has a bad taste! Mayhaps for the reason the power supply
blew up and the hard drive no longer worked -a lesson to not let your PC
get over dusty. Enjoy the pictures do you have any as well to share?

http://s836.photobucket.com/user/sie...62a68.jpg.html

GK

Running Win98 is probably what killed it :-)

You should open up the power supply, and see if it's full of
dust as well.

*******

We had a workstation at work, which had a giant hair-ball inside,
that blocked airflow from three intake fans. The processor heatsink
(rather large compared to one on a PC) got so hot, I still couldn't
touch it, ten minute after the power was turned off. It was that hot.
The machine itself, was running normally. I opened it up, because
"it didn't sound right". The fan noise was abnormal, and that got me
curious. This was in an era before cell phone cameras, as otherwise,
I would have taken a picture of the hairball. As you'd expect, the
person normally sitting at that desk, had long hair. Very long hair.
Based on the size of the hairball, I couldn't figure out why
they weren't bald. There was that much hair in there.

Paul
Old April 7th 13, 07:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 01:50:28 +1100, Gabriel Knight
wrote:

I had to clean a PC from a video shop running win98 it had no rear fan
so it got a little dusty since it was in the shop for about 7 years this
was my dustiest and most unliked refurbish job as the amount of dust
cleaning with a paint brush done outside was still bad enough with
outside wind to get in my eyes and bad for my lungs and by the way 7
year old dust has a bad taste! Mayhaps for the reason the power supply
blew up and the hard drive no longer worked -a lesson to not let your PC
get over dusty. Enjoy the pictures do you have any as well to share?

http://s836.photobucket.com/user/sie...62a68.jpg.html

GK

I use a 5-ft tall 60gal. air compressor. Paint bush, tooth brush, and
bottles of alcohol. It may require pulling everything including CPU
and disassembly of the PS. Anything less, I might lay it on its side,
optionally while running, and do as much with a vacuum cleaner wand.

Worst was one with a parakeet in its cage sitting on top of the
computer.
Old April 7th 13, 01:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo m,
Gabriel Knight escribió:

by the way 7
year old dust has a bad taste!

Most of that is dead human skin cells. Enjoy :-)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old April 10th 13, 01:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
BW[_4_]

On 6 Apr, 22:50, Gabriel Knight wrote:
I had to clean a PC from a video shop running win98 it had no rear fan
so it got a little dusty since it was in the shop for about 7 years this
was my dustiest and most unliked refurbish job as the amount of dust
cleaning with a paint brush done outside was still bad enough with
outside wind to get in my eyes and bad for my lungs and by the way 7
year old dust has a bad taste! Mayhaps for the reason the power supply
blew up and the hard drive no longer worked -a lesson to not let your PC
get over dusty. Enjoy the pictures do you have any as well to share?

http://s836.photobucket.com/user/sie...20Dusty%20PC/P...

GK

I got a PC from a fish-and-chip shop. All the innards were coated
with dust, stuck
on by a coating of oil. I only had to replace the CPU heatsink, and it
works.
It's a Core2 quad - still enough grunt to be useful. I cleaned the
dust off the
other heatsinks with some E85. I left the oil on the other parts -
doesn't seem to do any harm.