LCD monitor lasted 8 years

Old February 2nd 13, 01:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
BW[_4_]

Default LCD monitor lasted 8 years

I have been using an LG L2010P monitor since 2005. (Reason being that
I have one particular stupid software
package that was hardwired for 1600x1200 resolution.)
Anyway the backlight has been going dimmer and dimmer the last few
weeks. So it must be consigned
to the recycling yard.
I have had quite a few that quit in half that time.

Old February 2nd 13, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Feb 2, 8:38 am, BW wrote:
I have been using an LG L2010P monitor since 2005. (Reason being that
I have one particular stupid software
package that was hardwired for 1600x1200 resolution.)
Anyway the backlight has been going dimmer and dimmer the last few
weeks. So it must be consigned
to the recycling yard.
I have had quite a few that quit in half that time.

I've a 37" NEC about that old I fixed from sticking in standby with an
IR remote power switch (comes up OK once power is totally removed for
30 seconds).

This one is an Olevia 32" older than yours 232-S12 by a couple years
or so (predates my NEC, too). It had dropped to semi-affordable sales
prices from $1000 when LCDs like this were just coming out. I bought
a year or two after these monitors first came out (luckily for the the
next model up, Olevia sub'd in when the model# prior, I bought,
crapped out under warrantee - solid QC and design model improvements,
obviously, to have lasted this long.)

Both are the only large-scale monitors I've owned. Both are hooked to
computers only, and both are televisions.

Guy I was trying to steer to a Toshiha LED 32 TV onsale this weekend
for $199, I told him there's no appreciable difference other than a
$10 tuner board they're sticking in. He was asking about a large
dedicated PC monitor, or trying to shave some bucks from a regular
TV. (Stay in the thick of the middle for saving bucks when DCA.)

I'd probably be looking at that LCD Toshiba myself were I in need of
it. Wouldn't take a relative no-name brand out of such as WallyMart.
Buy the brand name, trust the rep/quality, and do it outsourced of the
internet for a shipment in. Also, should tend doubt any actual overall
viewing improvement really worth 10-year's difference given industry
advancements (of course, the same argument would apply to CRT viewing
or actual imagery - all apart a technology of PC on-the-fly scalable
input conveniences, power draws, herniated tube weights, takeover
gaming board pricing, subscription rates or any cableco bull****.)
Old February 2nd 13, 03:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

BW wrote:
I have been using an LG L2010P monitor since 2005. (Reason being that
I have one particular stupid software
package that was hardwired for 1600x1200 resolution.)
Anyway the backlight has been going dimmer and dimmer the last few
weeks. So it must be consigned
to the recycling yard.
I have had quite a few that quit in half that time.

So we can do some math.

365 days/year x 8 hours/day x 8 years = 23360 hours

Which sounds about right, for a good life span.

*******

In a quick search, I couldn't see a replacement for the CCFL tubes
for that one. Presumably someone sells a generic replacement for
the job, but for some reason, it didn't come up in my search engine.
Maybe it would take a couple hours work, to accidentally run into
a site with a generic for it.

If you like to tinker, you could try your hand at repairing it.

Paul
Old February 2nd 13, 08:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 05:38:08 -0800 (PST), BW
wrote:

I have been using an LG L2010P monitor since 2005. (Reason being that
I have one particular stupid software
package that was hardwired for 1600x1200 resolution.)
Anyway the backlight has been going dimmer and dimmer the last few
weeks. So it must be consigned
to the recycling yard.
I have had quite a few that quit in half that time.

I'm running 3 Sharp monitors that I think are about that old, all are
doing fine. Virtually every more recent monitor that my former
employer bought are dead, though.
Old February 3rd 13, 08:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 05:38:08 -0800 (PST), BW
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have been using an LG L2010P monitor since 2005.

Here is a service manual:
http://diagramas.diagramasde.com/mon...200A%20LCD.pdf
http://www.go-gddq.com/upload/2009_0...2411507477.pdf
http://elektrotanya.com/lg_l2010p_sm.pdf/download.html

.... and a repair guide:
http://elektrotanya.com/lg_flatron_l.../download.html

LG's manuals normally have a parts list.

- Franc Zabkar