always hide your backups!

Old December 26th 12, 09:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
BW[_4_]

Default always hide your backups!

Some villains broke in through laundry window. House behind has been
vacant for 2 weeks, so
they wouldn't have been seen.
They grabbed my wife's laptop. She backs it up onto a 128GB thumb
drive, but that was lying on
table, so the scumbags took it too.

BTW they also took one of those Paywave credit cards, and racked up
quite a few small purchases before
it was cancelled. We will not be replacing it.
Old December 26th 12, 10:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Safe deposit boxes are pretty cheap for backups on a HD.

You can take the drive out once a month and update it from your local
backups using a mirroring program.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old December 26th 12, 12:02 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

BW wrote:
Some villains broke in through laundry window. House behind has been
vacant for 2 weeks, so
they wouldn't have been seen.
They grabbed my wife's laptop. She backs it up onto a 128GB thumb
drive, but that was lying on
table, so the scumbags took it too.

BTW they also took one of those Paywave credit cards, and racked up
quite a few small purchases before
it was cancelled. We will not be replacing it.

Off-site backup is not a luxury, it is a requirement for any
reasonable backup strategy. What happened to your wife is just one
of the reasons.

Arno
Old December 26th 12, 12:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
mike

On 12/26/2012 1:36 AM, Ed Light wrote:
Safe deposit boxes are pretty cheap for backups on a HD.

You can take the drive out once a month and update it from your local
backups using a mirroring program.

If you're managing the launch codes, sure, do whatever it takes.
For most of us, a safe deposit box is not a solution.
Do you really expect joe sixpack to take off work during banking
hours and drive across town to swap drives in his SD box?
For mirroring, you need two trips to the bank and you're exposed
for all the time you have the drives in the same place.

A backup strategy is only as good as your motivation to use it.

A much simpler system might be to swap flash drives or hard drives with
a neighbor
or a colleague from work or a friend from the gym
on a regular basis.

Solves two backup problems at once.
Old December 26th 12, 02:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
shawn

On 26 Dec 2012 11:02:54 GMT, Arno wrote:

BW wrote:
Some villains broke in through laundry window. House behind has been
vacant for 2 weeks, so
they wouldn't have been seen.
They grabbed my wife's laptop. She backs it up onto a 128GB thumb
drive, but that was lying on
table, so the scumbags took it too.

BTW they also took one of those Paywave credit cards, and racked up
quite a few small purchases before
it was cancelled. We will not be replacing it.

Off-site backup is not a luxury, it is a requirement for any
reasonable backup strategy. What happened to your wife is just one
of the reasons.

But it isn't going to happen for general home users. What might make
more sense for them is to have one of those safes that you can mount
to the floor. Put it in an out of the way place where someone who
breaks in isn't likely to see it. Then you can put a HD or thumb drive
in the safe and be somewhat safe. Sure, those safes aren't going to
stop a determined thief but this sounds like a theft of oppotunity and
someone like that isn't going to take time to look for a safe unless
they know it is there.
Old December 26th 12, 06:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

"mike" wrote in message
On 12/26/2012 1:36 AM, Ed Light wrote:
Safe deposit boxes are pretty cheap for backups on a HD.

You can take the drive out once a month and update it from your local
backups using a mirroring program.

If you're managing the launch codes, sure, do whatever it takes.
For most of us, a safe deposit box is not a solution.
Do you really expect joe sixpack to take off work during banking
hours and drive across town to swap drives in his SD box?
For mirroring, you need two trips to the bank and you're exposed
for all the time you have the drives in the same place.

A backup strategy is only as good as your motivation to use it.

A much simpler system might be to swap flash drives or hard drives with a
neighbor
or a colleague from work or a friend from the gym
on a regular basis.

Or just between your home and your work.

Solves two backup problems at once.

Old December 26th 12, 06:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

news

BW wrote:
[...]

Offsite backup kept at work or both that and a safe that's hard to find is
better.

Old December 26th 12, 07:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
GMAN[_14_]

In article , BW wrote:
Some villains broke in through laundry window. House behind has been
vacant for 2 weeks, so
they wouldn't have been seen.
They grabbed my wife's laptop. She backs it up onto a 128GB thumb
drive, but that was lying on
table, so the scumbags took it too.

BTW they also took one of those Paywave credit cards, and racked up
quite a few small purchases before
it was cancelled. We will not be replacing it.

This is why i own an AR-15
Old December 26th 12, 07:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

shawn wrote:
On 26 Dec 2012 11:02:54 GMT, Arno wrote:
Off-site backup is not a luxury, it is a requirement for any
reasonable backup strategy. What happened to your wife is just one
of the reasons.

But it isn't going to happen for general home users. What might make
more sense for them is to have one of those safes that you can mount
to the floor. Put it in an out of the way place where someone who
breaks in isn't likely to see it. Then you can put a HD or thumb drive
in the safe and be somewhat safe. Sure, those safes aren't going to
stop a determined thief but this sounds like a theft of oppotunity and
someone like that isn't going to take time to look for a safe unless
they know it is there.

It is not that hard. If you have a locker or other lockable container
somwehere (gym, club, work), that is already enough. Just get 2-3 cheap
USB HDDs and rotate them.

Arno
Old December 26th 12, 09:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
mike

On 12/26/2012 10:08 AM, GMAN wrote:
In , wrote:
Some villains broke in through laundry window. House behind has been
vacant for 2 weeks, so
they wouldn't have been seen.
They grabbed my wife's laptop. She backs it up onto a 128GB thumb
drive, but that was lying on
table, so the scumbags took it too.

BTW they also took one of those Paywave credit cards, and racked up
quite a few small purchases before
it was cancelled. We will not be replacing it.

This is why i own an AR-15

Not clear how that helps you back up your system.
And if you had owned an AR-15, you wouldn't own one after
they stole it.

Best way to hide files and folders? Crackles McFarly Homebuilt PC's 25 January 7th 08 05:42 PM
Where do Windows Update dowloaded files hide? William P.N. Smith Dell Computers 9 March 3rd 06 03:18 AM
PowerColor Hide&Seek game with 9800SE models ? Peter Smith Ati Videocards 1 February 23rd 05 08:17 AM
Hide drive? Ted Storage (alternative) 6 November 9th 04 06:51 AM
Can I hide a directory ??? Pepe Duran Storage (alternative) 14 June 20th 04 07:29 AM