Mysterious screen problem - Ghosting

Old December 28th 03, 04:16 AM
Soomo

Default Mysterious screen problem - Ghosting

A few weeks ago my second computer started having problems.. prehaps
some of you here can give me some pointer how I can go about trouble
shooting the problem. Not sure how best to describe the problem but
the screen is appear to be ghosting. For example if there is text on
line 1, there will be a trail horizontally. In addition, the text are
also very fuzzy, though I can still Even the Compaq startup screen
appearing before system check info is fuzzy, as is the bios
configuration screen. Here's my spec:

Compaq 7AP170
Athlon 900
512mb ram
TNT2 Video card
40gb HD
Mag Innovation 17' model (not sure which one)

Here's things that I have tried but did not work.
1) Reinstalling windows (98SE)
2) New monitor
3) swap new video card

Here's some indications that may be helpful though I can't make sense
off it.
1) There was a PCI error after I swapped my video card, occuring after
I put in a new video card.
2) Boot time is very slow.. it takes a good few minutes to get to the
bios.

I suspect it is some kind of hardware failure since the computer was
working just a few weeks ago.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Old December 28th 03, 01:28 PM
Bishoop

"Soomo" wrote in message
om...
| A few weeks ago my second computer started having problems.. prehaps
| some of you here can give me some pointer how I can go about trouble
| shooting the problem. Not sure how best to describe the problem but
| the screen is appear to be ghosting. For example if there is text on
| line 1, there will be a trail horizontally. In addition, the text are
| also very fuzzy, though I can still Even the Compaq startup screen
| appearing before system check info is fuzzy, as is the bios
| configuration screen. Here's my spec:
|
| Compaq 7AP170
| Athlon 900
| 512mb ram
| TNT2 Video card
| 40gb HD
| Mag Innovation 17' model (not sure which one)
|
| Here's things that I have tried but did not work.
| 1) Reinstalling windows (98SE)
| 2) New monitor
| 3) swap new video card
|
| Here's some indications that may be helpful though I can't make sense
| off it.
| 1) There was a PCI error after I swapped my video card, occuring after
| I put in a new video card.
| 2) Boot time is very slow.. it takes a good few minutes to get to the
| bios.
|
| I suspect it is some kind of hardware failure since the computer was
| working just a few weeks ago.
|
| Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Are you using a video extension cable? If so, dump it.

Old December 28th 03, 10:23 PM
Soomo

I don't use a video extension cable. I ve tried using a new monitor
too problem is not likely to be with monitor or cable connecting it
nor the video card..
Old December 29th 03, 05:04 PM
Bishoop

"Soomo" wrote in message
om...
| I don't use a video extension cable. I ve tried using a new monitor
| too problem is not likely to be with monitor or cable connecting it
| nor the video card..

As I understand the problem from your description you have three choices:

1. Monitor
2. Monitor cable
3. Video card

Why have you excluded the video card? Have you tried a different video
card?

Old December 29th 03, 09:42 PM
Tweek

It is the video card. It is a very common failure for that line of cards
from Nvidia. I replace them for people all the time. I describe it as
'shadowy streaks'.

om...

Old December 29th 03, 11:23 PM
Bishoop

"Strontium" wrote in message
| I believe his original post stated that he switched monitor and card.

Right you are. If he could post a picture of the problem it would help a
lot.|

Old December 29th 03, 11:49 PM
Lefty

Bishoop wrote:
"Strontium" wrote in message
I believe his original post stated that he switched monitor and card.

Right you are. If he could post a picture of the problem it would
help a lot.|

did anyone ask about magnetic interference, unshielded speakers, etc?

Old January 1st 04, 02:25 PM
Soomo

I think Shadowy Streaks is an appropriate discription. I've already
tried another Matrox video card, I don't think VC is the problem.
Since my last post, I've also isolated that the SD Ram wasn't the
problem.

I figure something in the motherboard must have been fried.