PS2 ports dead(?) Stuck on POST screen

Old October 13th 03, 02:09 PM
Li'l ol' me

Default PS2 ports dead(?) Stuck on POST screen

I've got this socket A mobo which seems to work fine except the PS2 ports
seem to be dead (or at least the kb one isn't responding). No lights flash
on the kb when I switch on, but I know the kb is 100% in itself.

Problem is also that I've reset the CMOS before using the mobo for the first
time and now I can't get past the POST screen cos it says (from memory) CPU
unworkable (or similar). I need to get into the BIOS, but I can't without a
KB!

I've tried a PS2 kb using a ps2 to USB connector, but the BIOS clearly isn't
setup to read from a USB kb.

Any ideas on how I can get past the POST screen? Any Win98 (SE only?) or XP
installation would surely let me use a USB kb, it's just getting past the
POST screen that's stopping me!

Old October 13th 03, 08:38 PM
kony

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:09:47 +0100, "Li'l ol' me"
wrote:

I've got this socket A mobo which seems to work fine except the PS2 ports
seem to be dead (or at least the kb one isn't responding). No lights flash
on the kb when I switch on, but I know the kb is 100% in itself.

Problem is also that I've reset the CMOS before using the mobo for the first
time and now I can't get past the POST screen cos it says (from memory) CPU
unworkable (or similar). I need to get into the BIOS, but I can't without a
KB!

I've tried a PS2 kb using a ps2 to USB connector, but the BIOS clearly isn't
setup to read from a USB kb.

Any ideas on how I can get past the POST screen? Any Win98 (SE only?) or XP
installation would surely let me use a USB kb, it's just getting past the
POST screen that's stopping me!

Although you wrote that the keyboard is tested working, is it possible
it's odd, non-standard in some way? Is it known to be capable of
operation with a USB adapter? Generally speaking any semi-moden
system will allow use of a USB keyboard to enter the BIOS, just not
AFTER the BIOS unless legacy support is enabled.

Do you have the opportunity to test the PS/2 port's power? By that I
mean taking a voltage meter and/or continuity meter and checking for
5V, making sure that port's fuse isn't blown.

You didn't mention the specific motherboard. A link wouldn't hurt
either if you have one handy.

Are you 100% sure the motherboard supports the processor, including
the BIOS version? That wouldn't explain why the keyboard lights
aren't coming on, but I've seen some odd keyboard problems in the past
with systems that didn't support newer CPUs, yet the board still made
a valiant attempt at POSTing, just locked ups or other oddities during
POST.

Dave
Old October 13th 03, 09:13 PM
Shepİ

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:09:47 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Li'l ol' me"
wrote :

I've got this socket A mobo which seems to work fine except the PS2 ports
seem to be dead (or at least the kb one isn't responding). No lights flash
on the kb when I switch on, but I know the kb is 100% in itself.

Problem is also that I've reset the CMOS before using the mobo for the first
time and now I can't get past the POST screen cos it says (from memory) CPU
unworkable (or similar). I need to get into the BIOS, but I can't without a
KB!

I've tried a PS2 kb using a ps2 to USB connector, but the BIOS clearly isn't
setup to read from a USB kb.

Any ideas on how I can get past the POST screen? Any Win98 (SE only?) or XP
installation would surely let me use a USB kb, it's just getting past the
POST screen that's stopping me!

1st thing I would try is to fully remove power from the system(Unplug
power cord) and then use the Clear CMOS again and with the power off
insert a known good keyboard and see if you can get to the BIOS?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 13th 03, 09:54 PM
Li'l ol' me

wrote:

[...]

The ps2-usb adapter is just a cheap thing that came with my USB mouse (a
wireless one made by Memorex) which is otherwise a PS2 mouse. I just stuck
it on my PS2 keyboard in desperation thinking it would work in the same way
(maybe it does, but not on the mobo in question). All the USB kbs I've seen
are really expensive, and I don't know anybody with one.

Do you have the opportunity to test the PS/2 port's power? By that I
mean taking a voltage meter and/or continuity meter and checking for
5V, making sure that port's fuse isn't blown.

I know my bits and bytes (I'm a programmer by (would-be) trade, but I don't
know a volt from an ohm!

You didn't mention the specific motherboard. A link wouldn't hurt
either if you have one handy.

It's a cheep and (not so) cheerful Socket A PC Chips 810LMR (built-in VGA,
sound).
Has a reasonable resell value if working (I'm an ebay trader) so I'm
reluctant to sell this off as non-working when it's just one tiny thing
that's the problem. I had trouble finding info on this board when I first
got it (unmarked boards!) so I don't have a link sorry.

Are you 100% sure the motherboard supports the processor, including
the BIOS version? That wouldn't explain why the keyboard lights
aren't coming on, but I've seen some odd keyboard problems in the past
with systems that didn't support newer CPUs, yet the board still made
a valiant attempt at POSTing, just locked ups or other oddities during
POST.

I got this with a Duron 750 and have also tested with an Athlon 900, both of
which should work on ANY socket A board. The kb is the one I use for
testing all boards I get, but I've tried another with no joy.

Dave

Old October 13th 03, 09:58 PM
Li'l ol' me

wrote :

[...]

It's clearing the CMOS that did the damage as first time I tried the board I
just got the "no kb found" message. After a CMOS discharge I get the
"unworkable CPU" one. Either way there is clearly no power going to the kb
(or an alternative kb I tried). I've also tried plugging the kb into the
mouse ps2 to see if the LEDs flashed, but nothing. I have a wireless mouse
(see my other reply) and I could try plugging that in to see if it's LED
comes on.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email

Old October 13th 03, 10:50 PM
Shepİ

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:54:17 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Li'l ol' me"
wrote :

.. .
wrote:

[...]

It's possible the BIOS chip has been corrupted.The board is the same
as my ECS K7S5A I think or at least you can use the HoneyX BIOS on it.
Subscribe here to check,
http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum
If so then download an HoneyX BIOS .rom and copy it to a blank,quick
formatted floppy disk and rename it amiboot.rom.
Boot the system and leave for 30 mins or more and this should flash
the BIOS.
Then with no power to the board clear the CMOS again.
Not sure but IIRC there is a PS2 jumper on the mother board.Check
that's correct/secure.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 13th 03, 10:55 PM
kony

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:54:17 +0100, "Li'l ol' me"
wrote:

The ps2-usb adapter is just a cheap thing that came with my USB mouse (a
wireless one made by Memorex) which is otherwise a PS2 mouse. I just stuck
it on my PS2 keyboard in desperation thinking it would work in the same way
(maybe it does, but not on the mobo in question). All the USB kbs I've seen
are really expensive, and I don't know anybody with one.

A PS/2 device must be designed accordingly to work with a USB adapter.
I'm "guessing" that one can't.

Do you have the opportunity to test the PS/2 port's power? By that I
mean taking a voltage meter and/or continuity meter and checking for
5V, making sure that port's fuse isn't blown.

I know my bits and bytes (I'm a programmer by (would-be) trade, but I don't
know a volt from an ohm!

Well from a blurry picture I just saw, at least it looks like PC Chips
put a fuse on that board... some of the newer boards omit the fuse,
put a solid jumper wire where there was a spot for a fuse... I guess
that cut their costs by a few cents, but it's a shame they couldn't
just raise the cost of the board by a dollar or two instead of taking
such shortcuts.

You didn't mention the specific motherboard. A link wouldn't hurt
either if you have one handy.

It's a cheep and (not so) cheerful Socket A PC Chips 810LMR (built-in VGA,
sound).
Has a reasonable resell value if working (I'm an ebay trader) so I'm
reluctant to sell this off as non-working when it's just one tiny thing
that's the problem. I had trouble finding info on this board when I first
got it (unmarked boards!) so I don't have a link sorry.

Try changing the keyboard power-on jumper. I don't know where it is
on the board, possibly right next to the PS/2 port.

Some PCCHips/ECS boards have a row of jumpers to allow aux PS/2
control for proprietary/special uses... these jumpers are
dual-purpose, as headers a cable can be attached for infrared
keyboards and such, but for using the rear PS/2 ports it's necessary
to put a jumper over the correct pins. Your board may not have these
pins, and if it does, it's VERY important to not just start trying
different jumper locations, because IIRC, some of the pins are power,
can damage the board if jumpered to pins next to them. Unfortunately
I don't have the pinout, might be able to find it, but from the blurry
picture I saw it didnt' look like that board has these pins... would
be a 2xN row, maybe 14 or more pins, definitely longer than a USB
header.

Dave

Old October 14th 03, 01:15 AM
Li'l ol' me

"Shepİ" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:54:17 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Li'l ol' me"
wrote :

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I'm sure this is NOT a K7S5A clone (but I've got a K7AMA which is VERY
similar). For one thing it's got built-in VGA, and for another it's
micro-atx. There's no DDR support either. FWIW, I've sold half-a-dozen
(pulled) k7s5a boards on ebay recently, and I upgraded all of them to the
honeyx bios before shipping. No compaints yet....

Anyway, I can't flash a BIOS as I can't get past the POST screen without a
keyboard as explained!

Don't remember any PS2 jumpers on the k7s5a, but there's one on this pc
chips for booting from a keypress. I'll try this, but I don't think it'll
work.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email

Old October 14th 03, 01:36 AM
Shepİ

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:15:25 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Li'l ol' me"
wrote :

"Shepİ" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:54:17 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Li'l ol' me"
wrote :

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Good luck.It is a strange problem and maybe the board is shot :/
You did try another keyboard I take it has I've had bad keyboards amd
mice cause this :O

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email