Western Digital, Maxtor or Seagate

Old October 15th 03, 05:30 AM
@drian

Default Western Digital, Maxtor or Seagate

For a spare PC, I'm considering setting up a RAID 0 array. Which make of
drive would be best for the array? I'm looking at 120GB, Serial ATA, 8MB
cache drives. The makes I'm considering a

o Seagate / $108.00
o Maxtor / $110.00
o Western Digital / $118.00

Is any one make better for the RAID 0 array than the other? There would be
two identical makes on the array.

Also, I'm wondering if Western Digital is that much better than Maxtor or
Seagate, for the slightly price increase they command.

@drian.

Old October 15th 03, 06:14 AM
Strontium

You just love starting flamewars, don't you?

-
@drian stood up at show-n-tell, in

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old October 15th 03, 06:17 AM
Richard Dower

"Strontium" wrote in message
You just love starting flamewars, don't you?

lol...you baitor.

To answer, two WD Raptors in RAID 0 can't be beaten right now, with 8MB
cache and 10,000 RPM...shave the balls off a monkey.

Old October 15th 03, 08:59 AM
@drian

"Strontium" wrote in message
You just love starting flamewars, don't you?

LOL! I could have asked "Shall I go for an Intel or AMD?".

No, I'm just after some opinions on each person's experience with each brand
of drive. I have a couple of Seagates in one of my PCs and they run
slightly hot.

@drian.

Old October 15th 03, 09:12 AM
@drian

It's my personal experience, but I didn't see WD hard drive that succeeded
to work longer then 4 month without falling apart. I've always replaced
twice, and then had to replace to Maxtor (Quantum), which is by the way 5$
more expensive here for some reason. Making a hard drive that will live

for
years, seems to be greatest WD problem. Anyway in RAID, you will be able

replace the faulty drives forever without loosing any data, so this will

be
less problem for you

So you had longevity problems with WD?

I had some Maxtor SCSI drives a year or so ago, and they seemed rock solid,
probably because they were Quantum drives, and not actual Maxtors.

I suppose I should pick a capacity of drive, say 80 or 120GB, then hit the
review sites for more information. Of course, they don't tell you how long
the drive lasted.

@drian.

Old October 15th 03, 10:04 AM
Strontium

-
, and said:

"Strontium" wrote in message
You just love starting flamewars, don't you?

LOL! I could have asked "Shall I go for an Intel or AMD?".

No, I'm just after some opinions on each person's experience with
each brand of drive. I have a couple of Seagates in one of my PCs
and they run slightly hot.

Well, I was being 'slightly' sarcastic. But, you know as well as I do that
there are fanboys for every brand/make/model of everything....or do you lol.

I, personally, would choose WD. But, that's just my experience with them as
a whole. I don't do RAID. But, if I did...that's who I'd use. And, now I
will duck from all the anti WD freaks coming out of the woodworks...perhaps
they won't just to make me look paranoid ....they're out to get me, I
swear! haha!

lol

@drian.

--
Strontium

"You were the first thing, that I thought of. When, I thought
I'd drank you, off my mind. When I get lost, in the liquor, you're
the only one I find. If I did the thangs, I oughtta', you still would
not be mine. So, I keep a tight grip on the bottle...Gettin' loose
and, killin' time..." - Clint Black

Old October 15th 03, 01:32 PM
Larc

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:30:39 GMT, @drian pondered exceedingly, then took quill
in hand and carefully composed...

| For a spare PC, I'm considering setting up a RAID 0 array. Which make of
| drive would be best for the array? I'm looking at 120GB, Serial ATA, 8MB
| cache drives. The makes I'm considering a
|
| o Seagate / $108.00
| o Maxtor / $110.00
| o Western Digital / $118.00
|
| Is any one make better for the RAID 0 array than the other? There would be
| two identical makes on the array.
|
| Also, I'm wondering if Western Digital is that much better than Maxtor or
| Seagate, for the slightly price increase they command.

I'd choose WD hands down based on my experience with them. But you may want to
check around for a better price. The 120GB Special Edition is less than $118 at
Newegg and even locally at Best Buy (it's $110 including shipping at Newegg now
and is currently advertised for $79.99 at Best Buy stores in my area, but a
rebate is probably involved in getting to that BB price).

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old October 15th 03, 01:34 PM
Allen_L

@drian wrote:
"Strontium" wrote in message
You just love starting flamewars, don't you?

LOL! I could have asked "Shall I go for an Intel or AMD?".

No, I'm just after some opinions on each person's experience with
each brand of drive. I have a couple of Seagates in one of my PCs
and they run slightly hot.

@drian.

This thread is hopeless, as all kinds of different opinions will be posted
about *each* drive. They are all good, but will all fail at some point

I personally have had good luck with all three, never had a failure with
any...knock on wood. Seagate has a reputation for running a little hotter
than the others, and heat is a problem with any drive...so in a raid
situation you may need a hard drive cooler for the Seagates.

....Allen

Old October 15th 03, 02:21 PM
Bob Davis

All my drives are PATA's. I have a Maxtor 160 DM+9 as C: and a WD1000JB as
D:, with four more WD's and three IBM's (!) used as firewire drives and
clones. The C: and D: drives run 12 hrs/day and the others only as needed.
The Maxtor is faster and quieter spinning, but the head movement is noisier.
It is my first Maxtor since the ESDI days (circa early 90's), but it has
been doing well for four months, and the WD's are all over a year old. The
only drive I've had fail in the past 15 years is an IBM 75GXP last year
(knock on wood), replaced in warranty with a 60GXP which is still running
(clone, run only for 15 minutes per month).

Old October 15th 03, 02:26 PM
Craig

"@drian" wrote in message
For a spare PC, I'm considering setting up a RAID 0 array. Which make of
drive would be best for the array? I'm looking at 120GB, Serial ATA, 8MB
cache drives. The makes I'm considering a

o Seagate / $108.00
o Maxtor / $110.00
o Western Digital / $118.00

Is any one make better for the RAID 0 array than the other? There would

be
two identical makes on the array.

Also, I'm wondering if Western Digital is that much better than Maxtor or
Seagate, for the slightly price increase they command.

@drian.

Does your locatation have a OfficeMax? If so checkout the Sunday
newspaper for Office Max sales paper.
I recently purchased a WD 120GB hard drive, after rebates it was $80.00

Craig

Craig

Western Digital SATA WD800JD and Windows 98? Machine Messiah General 6 May 19th 04 05:04 AM
Western Digital 2000 BeeFarmer General 9 April 30th 04 08:58 PM
Adaptec vs. Western Digital. Who is DEGRADED? Who is FOS? Brian General 0 January 13th 04 05:16 PM
Western Digital, Maxtor or Seagate @drian General 25 October 20th 03 06:24 PM
Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate - guess who spams? tiburón Homebuilt PC's 7 September 29th 03 11:19 PM