..what does the "GT" & "GS" acro mean?

Old May 26th 06, 07:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default ..what does the "GT" & "GS" acro mean?

sorry to be so lame but ive been lurkng ndivia for three days and havnt
come across it meaning??....

Old May 26th 06, 11:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

As I understand it, GS is the replacement for the GT range. GT being the
midrange NVidia card...

6800
6800 GT
6800 Ultra

Cheers, @sh

ups.com...

Old May 26th 06, 03:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On 5/25/2006 11:01 PM rbt brightened our day with:
sorry to be so lame but ive been lurkng ndivia for three days and havnt
come across it meaning??....

Nothing I imagine, as far as nVidia is concerned. There have been cars
with the "GT" appellation for a long time, means Grand Touring or
Tourer. That translates to fast. GT has come to mean fast, high
performance, enthusiast class in general. I suppose GS means it's not
quite a GT, but still pretty good.

--
Hey! said my name is called disturbance
I'll shout and scream, I'll kill the king, I'll rail at all his servants

Steve Inglo
Old May 26th 06, 04:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

It's simply a way to classify different configurations of a GPU. Like a
7600GS has a lower clock speed and slower memory than a 7600GT. Some of the
differences might include GPU clock speed, memory clock speed, memory bus
width and pixel pipelines. All of those will determine the ability of a
card. This is why it pays to do your homework before selecting a video
card. Even though two cards may carry the same prefix like "7600", the
suffix will determine it's relative performance.

DaveL

ups.com...

Old May 26th 06, 06:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Were all generalllyy right....heheh

done a bit of homework. Here is some things ive found...

Often the GS's 'memory clock speed' isn't stated. From my limited
understanding this is probably 'cause really, who knows what the
individual rigs SLi is going to produce with mismatched ram and
consumer knowledge as one example. At least a single card rig would be
more predictable AND intuitive....

Impression also count. Generally, A GT (Grand Tourismo) will wipe the
floor with a GS (Grand Sports) and this reversinvg tricked me too...
Obviously, for SLi a GS is better..

at this stage we are buying a 7600GS (i think)....

Old May 27th 06, 04:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Meanwhile, there's the GTO...

ups.com...

Old May 27th 06, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

rbt wrote:
sorry to be so lame but ive been lurkng ndivia for three days and havnt
come across it meaning??....

I'm not sure about GT, but I'm pretty sure GS stands for "gotcha sucker."

Old May 27th 06, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Sat, 27 May 2006 17:20:36 GMT, "Fishface" ?
wrote:

rbt wrote:
sorry to be so lame but ive been lurkng ndivia for three days and havnt
come across it meaning??....

I'm not sure about GT, but I'm pretty sure GS stands for "gotcha sucker."

The 6800GS PCI-E was near 6800GT performance. At the time, it
was the "best bang for the buck" card.
Old May 30th 06, 02:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Chingy wrote:
7600? why not 7900 they are quite cheap anyway and wait 1-2 months more they
will further go down in prices..

"rbt" wrote in message
oups.com...

Were all generalllyy right....heheh

done a bit of homework. Here is some things ive found...

Often the GS's 'memory clock speed' isn't stated. From my limited
understanding this is probably 'cause really, who knows what the
individual rigs SLi is going to produce with mismatched ram and
consumer knowledge as one example. At least a single card rig would be
more predictable AND intuitive....

Impression also count. Generally, A GT (Grand Tourismo) will wipe the
floor with a GS (Grand Sports) and this reversinvg tricked me too...
Obviously, for SLi a GS is better..

at this stage we are buying a 7600GS (i think)....

because they are defective, go to pcper forum and find out.