Can you add a Integrated Management LCD to a 1200?

Old September 12th 05, 11:34 PM
Guy Macon

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

I hadn't really heard of that before. I assume I can find this by
searching Freesco on the web.

http://www.freesco.org/

How much memory is required?

A whopping 8MB of RAM, but it takes 20MB to run everything on a ramdisk.

Runs OK on a 16MHz 386sx, runs like a bat out of hell on a 486.

Old September 13th 05, 10:10 AM
.

In article .com,
says...
I had a 1600 that came with the blank off in place of the LCD. The
Compaq website revealed that the original model did come with support
for the IMD. However, the spot on the motherboard where the LCD cable
should connect did not have the pin header installed...just two rows of
soldered over pin holes.

You must check to see that the pins for the connector are present. They
should be near the top right corner of the main board, and will be
labeled "LCD Connector".

I would hate to even consider pulling the board out and trying to
solder on these two rows of pins! What a nightmare.

Jeff

OK I've pulled the system apart and had a prod around. There was nothing
on the main system board (first place I looked) but I did find it on the
backplane that the system expansion board plugs into. It's right at the
top of the box.

Now I've actually found *2* of these things:

P3: DIL20 header with one pin missing (polariser)
P4: DIL14 header with one pin missing (polariser)

Both are individually marked "LCD", so what's the difference, if any?
I'll go and grab a display off ebay, but I don't know whether it'll come
with a 20 or a 14 pin header, but obviously it's going to get plugged
into whatever's the right size.

Now... what does this give you?

I know it gives you diagnostics of some form, but this is my first
exposure to playing with these old enterprise servers and I'll assume
you can call up a list and display certain operating parameters, once
you've enabled the display in SCU.

That would be nice, as hardware-based system functions are always better
than software-based ones. I tried to get the Gentoo ebuild of hpasm to
go on my Proliant 5000, which didn't work because of some obscure snmp
error (I still gotta learn this snmp stuff) so it would be nice to see
this the easy way - just plug in a display and let 'er rip.
Old September 13th 05, 12:49 PM
Jeffrey Alsip

Now I've actually found *2* of these things:
P3: DIL20 header with one pin missing (polariser)
P4: DIL14 header with one pin missing (polariser)
Both are individually marked "LCD", so what's the difference, if any?

That's curious. I have two of these IMD's here in front of me. One is
out of a 2500, and the other is out of a 3000. They both have a single
34 pin (with one pin blocked out) ribbon cable. I am hoping that the
20pin and 14pin headers that you found are directly side by side,
making one 34pin header. If this is the case, then you should have no
trouble.

Now... what does this give you?

The LCD will be lit and functioning as long as the power cable is
plugged in...even with the system powered down. During boot up, it will
echo all of the posting steps (CPU initialization, memory test, etc.)
even before the display is initialized. After bootup it will provide
you with quick easy access to any error messages incurred during boot
(the arrow keys will navigate through the list). During normal
operation, you can install the Integrated Management Display Utility,
from the ProLiant Support Pack, and setup a custom default display of
your choice. My 3000's are setup to display this information during
normal running:

Line 1) System Name
Line 2) System Time
Line 3) CPU Usage (a bar graph and %)
Line 4) Main Menu

Of course there are many other options. You may wish to display a graph
of memory usage, for example.

If the server experience a catastrophic failure, you will get a readout
of what happened (as long as the power cord is plugged in and hot)
enabling you to take action before you power up the system again.

it would be nice to see this the easy way - just plug in a display and let 'er rip.

Just remove the power cord, plug the display into the header, and
reinsert the power cord. If you immediately see the backlight and the
words "Compaq ProLiant 1600", then the ripping has begun!

Let me know if you need of of my spare IMD's...I'm sure we can work
something out better than ebay's shipping charges.

Jeff

Old September 13th 05, 02:12 PM
.

In article .com,
says...
I have two of these IMD's here in front of me. One is
out of a 2500, and the other is out of a 3000. They both have a single
34 pin (with one pin blocked out) ribbon cable. I am hoping that the
20pin and 14pin headers that you found are directly side by side,
making one 34pin header. If this is the case, then you should have no
trouble.

Now THAT is odd. The connectors on mine are side-by-side, all right, but
laterally, not longitudinally as in your case, so it looks as if it's
only meant to take a DIL20 or a DIL14 IDC header:

[1::::::::20] P3

[14:::::1] P4

Pin 19 is the polariser for P3, and Pin 12 the polariser for P4. Quite a
different thing to what you have there.

[...]

Hoooweeee I wanna play with that. I just scored a Proliant 7000 with the
Xeon 400MHz motherboard off ebay for $117 an hour ago, which I'm going
to pick up tomorrow afternoon - it already has one of these as standard.
If the display does all this, I can understand the value of it. Who
wants to fart around with hpasm when you've got it in silicon? I just
wish the 5000R I started off with two weeks ago had this feature. Be
damned handy to see how busy the gear is just by looking at the front
panel.

If the server experience a catastrophic failure, you will get a readout
of what happened (as long as the power cord is plugged in and hot)
enabling you to take action before you power up the system again.

This is my first foray into playing with enterprise-grade gear, no
matter how old it is. I think I can get to like this.

Just remove the power cord, plug the display into the header, and
reinsert the power cord. If you immediately see the backlight and the
words "Compaq ProLiant 1600", then the ripping has begun!

Let me know if you need of of my spare IMD's...I'm sure we can work
something out better than ebay's shipping charges.

Well mine's a 266MHz Pentium II Proliant 1200 with the E35 BIOS, not a
1600, so I don't know if this bit is the same. Besides, you'd better be
able to beat AUD10 to ship to Sydney
Old September 13th 05, 04:56 PM
Rick F.

In article u, . wrote:

Now THAT is odd. The connectors on mine are side-by-side, all right, but
laterally, not longitudinally as in your case, so it looks as if it's
only meant to take a DIL20 or a DIL14 IDC header:

[1::::::::20] P3

[14:::::1] P4

Pin 19 is the polariser for P3, and Pin 12 the polariser for P4. Quite a
different thing to what you have there.

Just a stupid thought.. What if for space reasons, they use a split cable,
with one end having a single 34 pin header on the IMD side and the other
end split into two pieces to plug into both of these headers?

-- Rick

Old September 13th 05, 06:52 PM
Guy Macon

.. wrote:

Hoooweeee I wanna play with that. I just scored a Proliant 7000 with the
Xeon 400MHz motherboard off ebay for $117 an hour ago, which I'm going
to pick up tomorrow afternoon

Bring a hand truck and a buddy. They are heavy...

Old September 14th 05, 01:10 AM
.

In article , rickf@ca-
flower.com says...
In article u, . wrote:

Now THAT is odd. The connectors on mine are side-by-side, all right, but
laterally, not longitudinally as in your case, so it looks as if it's
only meant to take a DIL20 or a DIL14 IDC header:

[1::::::::20] P3

[14:::::1] P4

Pin 19 is the polariser for P3, and Pin 12 the polariser for P4. Quite a
different thing to what you have there.

Just a stupid thought.. What if for space reasons, they use a split cable,
with one end having a single 34 pin header on the IMD side and the other
end split into two pieces to plug into both of these headers?

-- Rick

That makes sense. I've asked the guy selling them what the headers look
like.
Old September 14th 05, 06:42 AM
.

Facts about the Proliant 7000:
1) Your average braking distance going down the M5 at 130km/h is
increased by around 40 metres;
2) Engaging low range 4WD is of some assistance when leaving the
seller's driveway and trying to climb uphill;
3) Having steel-capped boots is of immense help when leaving the edge of
the server firmly sitting on your friend's toes while you reach for the
tailgate on the truck;
4) It makes the concrete floor of my office creak when you place it
down;
5) Powering up, it sounds like a plane taking off;
6) It weighs the same as a plane;
7) It's about the same size as a plane;
8) It's better engineered than a plane, and you don't have to have a
body search when you power it up;
9) If anyone ever breaks into the office, this is one item they sure
won't be casually walking out through the door with, not even if they
had the foresight to bring along their own surgical truss.

I have to admit I'm impressed by this machine - the level of detail and
the construction - nothing to apologise about even though it's
"retired" gear. It's fitted with 2 Xeon 400 CPUs, but in a couple of
days I'll have 8 4.3GB drives in caddies (cost all of $27) and another 4
CPUs complete with 4 VRMs (cost all of $20.50 for the entire lot) coming
up from Melbourne, and will fit it out, add some more RAM to take it to
a Gig, and build a very nice file/mail server out of it once I get a
bay's worth of 36, 50, or 72 GB drives.

We really have to give thanks to Micro$oft for making people only want
the latest and greatest fatware and the desktop machines that it needs
to run on. Makes it so much easier for people like me, who realise that
mission-critical stuff needs to run on *NIX systems, be able to pick up
"obsolete" equipment for next to nothing.
Old September 14th 05, 07:01 AM
Rick F.

In article u, . wrote:
[...]

Too funny.. That's what I thought that machine must be like.. I'm very
happy w/ my new machine as well.. They're built like tanks and you're
getting an amazing set of engineering for your $$ (in my case $50US).

If I were you, I'd look into pre-paying the electric bill for that
puppy.. You might need your own substation to power it properly (8-

Newbie: OC Advice: AMDXP2200 CPU Donald Bock Overclocking AMD Processors 2 March 12th 05 01:14 AM
Enterprise Storage Management (ESM) FAQ Revision 2004/06/23 - Part 1/1 Will Spencer Storage & Hardrives 0 June 23rd 04 06:58 AM
Enterprise Storage Management (ESM) FAQ Revision 2004/04/11 - Part 1/1 Will Spencer Storage & Hardrives 0 April 11th 04 07:24 AM
wifi max Asus Motherboards 1 February 25th 04 10:36 PM
inaccessible_boot_device emmexx Storage (alternative) 5 February 13th 04 07:51 PM