Can you add a Integrated Management LCD to a 1200?

Old September 15th 05, 01:04 AM
Jeffrey Alsip

I don't have a 7000 myself (yet), but I suspect the extra power supply
is more than redundant. If you add all of the drives the machine is
capable of holding, I'll bet you need the second PS just to get them to
fire up.

Old September 15th 05, 04:41 AM
Guy Macon

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

I don't have a 7000 myself (yet), but I suspect the extra power supply
is more than redundant. If you add all of the drives the machine is
capable of holding, I'll bet you need the second PS just to get them to
fire up.

Extra power supplies, not extra power supply. The 7000 has three
and needs two. The 5500 has two and needs one.

Old September 26th 05, 08:16 PM
Richard S. Sims

You are correct, depending on the number of drives installed, and
the number of processors (and I guess Media Bay stuff too), the 2nd
p/s becomes mandatory and you need a 3rd for failover. Compaq had a
power calculation sheet on line that figured out when you would need
the extra, but HP probably lost it by now.

Old September 26th 05, 08:16 PM
Richard S. Sims

When 6000's, 6500's and 7000's came out, they were originally Pentium
Pro's. When I worked for Compaq, I was one of few local Field
Engineers who performed Xeon upgrades when they were released. If you
can imagine taking every single part of your 7000 apart and chucking
it in a box the size of a deep freezer, then taking all new parts and
rebuilding it while the owner of the $70K beast stood there
horrified... Ah the good ole days.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:42:03 +1000, . wrote:

Facts about the Proliant 7000:
1) Your average braking distance going down the M5 at 130km/h is
increased by around 40 metres;
2) Engaging low range 4WD is of some assistance when leaving the
seller's driveway and trying to climb uphill;
3) Having steel-capped boots is of immense help when leaving the edge of
the server firmly sitting on your friend's toes while you reach for the
tailgate on the truck;
4) It makes the concrete floor of my office creak when you place it
down;
5) Powering up, it sounds like a plane taking off;
6) It weighs the same as a plane;
7) It's about the same size as a plane;
8) It's better engineered than a plane, and you don't have to have a
body search when you power it up;
9) If anyone ever breaks into the office, this is one item they sure
won't be casually walking out through the door with, not even if they
had the foresight to bring along their own surgical truss.

I have to admit I'm impressed by this machine - the level of detail and
the construction - nothing to apologise about even though it's
"retired" gear. It's fitted with 2 Xeon 400 CPUs, but in a couple of
days I'll have 8 4.3GB drives in caddies (cost all of $27) and another 4
CPUs complete with 4 VRMs (cost all of $20.50 for the entire lot) coming
up from Melbourne, and will fit it out, add some more RAM to take it to
a Gig, and build a very nice file/mail server out of it once I get a
bay's worth of 36, 50, or 72 GB drives.

We really have to give thanks to Micro$oft for making people only want
the latest and greatest fatware and the desktop machines that it needs
to run on. Makes it so much easier for people like me, who realise that
mission-critical stuff needs to run on *NIX systems, be able to pick up
"obsolete" equipment for next to nothing.

Old September 26th 05, 11:35 PM
Jeffrey Alsip

The utility is indeed included in the PSP. After installation it
resides in the Compaq Program Group, and the executable is called
cpqlcd.

Have you decided to run Windows Server or SCO? I seem to recall that
the hangup was that the utility did not exist for your flavor of Linux.

Newbie: OC Advice: AMDXP2200 CPU Donald Bock Overclocking AMD Processors 2 March 12th 05 01:14 AM
Enterprise Storage Management (ESM) FAQ Revision 2004/06/23 - Part 1/1 Will Spencer Storage & Hardrives 0 June 23rd 04 06:58 AM
Enterprise Storage Management (ESM) FAQ Revision 2004/04/11 - Part 1/1 Will Spencer Storage & Hardrives 0 April 11th 04 07:24 AM
wifi max Asus Motherboards 1 February 25th 04 10:36 PM
inaccessible_boot_device emmexx Storage (alternative) 5 February 13th 04 07:51 PM