32Bit ColorMode - How does it work ?

Old July 21st 05, 06:19 PM
Tobias K

Default 32Bit ColorMode - How does it work ?

Hello,

can anyone tell me how a 32 Bit Colormode works.

Is it:
8 Bit R, 8 Bit G, 8 Bit B, 8 Bit Brightness ?

Or how ?

Greetings

Tobias

Old July 21st 05, 08:53 PM
Phil Weldon

'Tobias K' wrote, in part:
| can anyone tell me how a 32 Bit Colormode works.

_____

Thirty-two bit color, true color is
8 bits for Red
8 bits for Green
8 bits for Blue.

Brightness (luminance is the correct term for a video signal) is the sum of
Red, Blue, and Green. Various levels of gray are equal values for Red,
Green, and Blue, from 0,0,0 for black to 255, 255, 255 for pure white.

This requires only 24 bits. The other 8 bits are either unused or serve
another purpose. The reason for 32 bits is that data is handled 32 bits at
a time, or some other power of two. Even if 8 bits are wasted, handling the
data 32 bits rather than 24 bits at a time is faster.

Phil Weldon

Old July 21st 05, 09:02 PM
Robert Hancock

Tobias K wrote:
Hello,

can anyone tell me how a 32 Bit Colormode works.

Is it:
8 Bit R, 8 Bit G, 8 Bit B, 8 Bit Brightness ?

Or how ?

Greetings

Tobias

There are 8 bits for R, G, B, and the other 8 bits are either unused or
used for something else (such as an alpha value for transparency). This
is more efficient than storing 24 bits per pixel since the video card's
memory bus is a multiple of 32 bits wide.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old July 22nd 05, 03:37 PM
Granulated

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:19:41 +0200 "Tobias K" meeped :

Hello,

can anyone tell me how a 32 Bit Colormode works.

Is it:
8 Bit R, 8 Bit G, 8 Bit B, 8 Bit Brightness ?

Or how ?

Greetings

Tobias

the extra 8 bits for alpha ?

(or is that just in graphics files ?)
--

Granulated

Napoleon Dynamite
Old July 23rd 05, 02:30 AM
First of One

In 3D textures it's 8 R, 8 G, 8 B, 8 A (alpha transparency). I believe it's
also done this way in certain image file formats like TGA and PNG.