What can I do about my dead mobo?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 3rd 04, 02:54 PM
Zenobia

Default What can I do about my dead mobo?

I have an ASUS A7A 133 mobo; ALiMaGiK 1 chipset. This is in a generic
case with an Althon 1500 and a Maxtor 80G HD.

It's broke. (1) When I switch the computer on the green and red front
panel lights flash once but nothing happens.

(2) Prior to this the machine would sometimes spontaneously reboot
itself (over about once per day over several previous months).

This last fault (1) developed after I removed the HD over Christmas
(while I was away) because I was worried about it getting stolen
during a Christmas burglary. I don't think the fault manifested itself
immediately as the machine started to boot but I didn't see what
happened when it died as I went to watch TV and found it dead when I
got back. Perhaps the fault was caused by the machine being switched
off for a week while I was away? [I normally leave my machines on 24h
per day]

I have another, better, machine as well. Same case but it has an
A7N266-VM mobo, an Althon 2000 and a bigger HD.

I've tried switching PSUs and HDs but the fault is still there.

Should I also try switching memory modules?

If, after switching CPUs, should I assume a mobo failure if the
machine continues to do nothing?

Is there anything I can do to boot my hard disk? (The one from the
broken machine) It has WinXP pro installed on it. There's a lot of
work on it I don't want to loose.

Can I boot this HD with a new mobo (ideally better than the A7A) or
even with a new or S/H A7A mobo?

Is there anything I can try to do to fix the A7A - if it is the
culprit (such as changing mobo capacitors)?

I've had lots of ASUS mobos and this is the first one that has given
me a problem.

Is it worth switching the case as well (in case the fault lies with
the front panel switch)?