DVD RW & HDD Storage devices undecided...recommendations??

Old February 6th 04, 02:47 PM
MT

Default DVD RW & HDD Storage devices undecided...recommendations??

I'm nearly at the stage of finalising my parts for a new system, but need
some recommendations on the following storage devices or another model I
haven't thought about

Firstly a DVD burner (-/+ RW drives): Narrowed down to the Liteon 811S (8x),
the LG 4061B or the Pioneer 107 (8x). Which one?

Secondly are two 120GB 7200 8MB SATA drives for use in a RAID 0 array and
one IDE 120GB ATA133 8MB drive used as the main boot drive. I can't decide
for the SATA drives between the Maxtor, Seagate or Western Digital . For the
IDE drive I was thinking between the Hitachi and the Maxtor. Any
suggestions?

While I need advice on the above decision mainly I'm happy to hear any
opinions or suggestions on the rest of my system as follows:

Asus P4C800 E Deluxe
Intel P4 3.2C 800
Sparkle SP8835-PT Graphics Card
2 sticks of 512MB 3500 Kingmax RAM (or 3200 Kingston)
120GB HDD (undecided model)
2 x 120GB SATA HDD - RAID 0 (undecided model)
Antec 1080AMG case
Pioneer 16x slot DVD
STAudio DSP24 Value soundcard (from my old system)

Thanks for any advice...

Matt

Old February 6th 04, 03:28 PM
BarryNL

MT wrote:
I'm nearly at the stage of finalising my parts for a new system, but need
some recommendations on the following storage devices or another model I
haven't thought about

Firstly a DVD burner (-/+ RW drives): Narrowed down to the Liteon 811S (8x),
the LG 4061B or the Pioneer 107 (8x). Which one?

Secondly are two 120GB 7200 8MB SATA drives for use in a RAID 0 array and
one IDE 120GB ATA133 8MB drive used as the main boot drive. I can't decide
for the SATA drives between the Maxtor, Seagate or Western Digital . For the
IDE drive I was thinking between the Hitachi and the Maxtor. Any
suggestions?

Any particular reason why you want to use your slower disk as the system
disk and the faster RAID 0 as storage only? Normally you want the
fastest disk configuration as your system drive. Personally, I'd use
either the RAID or get one of the WD Raptors as the system disk in a
system costing this much.
Old February 6th 04, 03:45 PM
Sooky Grumper

MT wrote:
I'm nearly at the stage of finalising my parts for a new system, but need
some recommendations on the following storage devices or another model I
haven't thought about

Firstly a DVD burner (-/+ RW drives): Narrowed down to the Liteon 811S (8x),

I love liteon for cdrws

the LG 4061B

You mean the 4081B? Either way, I've had a look at LG's websites and
they're support there doesn't seem very good. Not sure about now, but
even after these drives were being sold in retail shops they STILL
didn't have them listed as even existing on their web sites (both in
Australia and USA). There were some other bits of oddness at the LG
websites, too.

or the Pioneer 107 (8x).

The LG website dodginess, and my very nice Pioneer multiregion stand
alone DVD player, I went with the Pioneer 107. I'm not disappointed at
all. One of the best computer component purchases I've made. The Pioneer
site is great, and they've got a loyal customer base because of the high
quality of their drives.

Old February 7th 04, 12:58 PM
Fitz

WD SATA Raptors (10,000 RPM) in RAID 0 for system (they are definitely
fast) - 120 GB IDE drive for storage and backup. I'm using the Raptors (2 X
36GB) RAID 0 in an AMD64 3200 system. Very satisfied.

Have you looked at the Plextor 708A for a dual format DVD and CDR/RW?
Here's a link to a review if you want to take a look at it:
http://www.gotapex.com/reviews.php?r...dvd/index.html

Fitz

Old February 8th 04, 06:35 AM
MT

Good point Barry. My main reason was simply because of the extra 145GB space
(compared to the WD Raptor) and the fact that it was cheaper. But, you make
a good point. I think I'll take your advice and get the 10k rpm 36GB Raptor
drive for my system and main software drive. This should surely be enough
space for WinXP, Office and music and movie video editing software and then
I still have 240GB more space for data on the RAID 0 SATA drives.

Thanks for your help...

Matt

Old February 9th 04, 12:28 AM
Ric H

"BarryNL" wrote in message
MT wrote:
Any particular reason why you want to use your slower disk as the
system disk and the faster RAID 0 as storage only? Normally you want
the fastest disk configuration as your system drive. Personally, I'd
use either the RAID or get one of the WD Raptors as the system disk
in a system costing this much.

the raptor's rule: apparent speed similar to 2x7200rpm drives in raid 0.
they're available in 76GB now, but 36GB is *plenty* for an OS drive.

ric h