LGA-775 DDR3, new motherboards?

Old November 18th 12, 08:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default LGA-775 DDR3, new motherboards?

I'm noticing some LGA-775 DDR3 motherboards. Are these new
motherboards, to satisfy lots of old Core 2 Quad (LGA-775) users
that want to use DDR3 memory?

Or maybe I just missed them in prior searches.

Thanks.
Old November 18th 12, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Nov 18, 3:01 pm, John Doe wrote:
I'm noticing some LGA-775 DDR3 motherboards. Are these new
motherboards, to satisfy lots of old Core 2 Quad (LGA-775) users
that want to use DDR3 memory?

Or maybe I just missed them in prior searches.

Thanks.

Mine is DDR3. 775 is the minimum in a new hardware platform unless an
AMD is in order. Buying a used processor from somebody, however, can
be one thing and memory another, especially if new DDR3 costs are very
reasonable. For a semi-cheap result, say the difference between P4
hyperthreading Socket 478 and an Intel S775 early dual-core variant at
2.66Ghz, DDR3 or DDR22 withstanding, two physical 2.66 physical cores
should still factor most for an overall smoother OS responsiveness.
Lots of memory more than its type, and I'd as soon max out XP, which
wasn't the case with DDR2 I recall not finding used near as readily as
cheap and decent quality DDR3. The beds of these new Intel sockets
are a nightmare, though, if you ever get into one to straighten pin/
contacts -- I got it to boot, but it was an extremely difficult
exercise on par with writing on rice kernels. Shame, because on the
low-low end of the Land Grind Array Intel offers a very aggressive
processor. Very.
Old November 18th 12, 10:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

John Doe wrote:
I'm noticing some LGA-775 DDR3 motherboards. Are these new
motherboards, to satisfy lots of old Core 2 Quad (LGA-775) users
that want to use DDR3 memory?

Or maybe I just missed them in prior searches.

Thanks.

X38 and X48 was around the era where DDR3 was introduced.
I got an X48 with DDR2, because I thought it would have
ECC capability. Whereas with DDR3, it was unclear whether
ECC worked or not. I'm not sure this article has
captured the flavor all that well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

There's one NVidia enthusiast chipset here with DDR3.
But the question with that one would be, what processors
was it guaranteed compatible with. Some of the NVidia
chipsets, weren't that "smooth" when it came to running
four modules. Nothing but problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...vidia_chipsets

The trick now would be finding a used board for a reasonable
price. When I bought my X48, they weren't exactly easy to find,
so I had to take what I could get.

Paul
Old December 16th 12, 02:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
BW[_4_]

On 19 Nov, 04:01, John Doe wrote:
I'm noticing some LGA-775 DDR3 motherboards. Are these new
motherboards, to satisfy lots of old Core 2 Quad (LGA-775) users
that want to use DDR3 memory?

Or maybe I just missed them in prior searches.

Thanks.

Probably "New Old Stock" that is something which has been sitting in a
warehouse for ages.
So it may be some second-rate brand that didn't sell well when it came
out.

LGA 775 cpu loose Simon Yee[_2_] Asus Motherboards 3 May 14th 09 07:41 PM
LGA 775 upgrades Bill Davidsen Intel 0 October 13th 05 08:46 PM
Upgrade Capabilities of an LGA 775 Motherboard Caecina Asus Motherboards 3 November 1st 04 06:26 AM
Upgrade capabilities of an LGA 775 Motherboard Caecina Intel 2 October 31st 04 09:05 PM
Cooling for LGA 775 Chris Klein Overclocking 1 August 1st 04 10:16 PM