DMS-59 connector - a trap for young players

Old September 30th 12, 11:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
BW[_4_]

Default DMS-59 connector - a trap for young players

I wanted a graphics card with dual output, and saw one on eeeeebay
rather cheap.
When it arrived, it had one DMS-59 connector. I should have know
better when picture says
something like "for illustration purposes only, may not be actual
item".
I only saw one of these once before in my life, on a pizza box server.
Well, I can get an adapter for $6 (if I am prepared to wait for snail
mail).
Old September 30th 12, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Grinder

On 9/30/2012 5:59 AM, BW wrote:
I wanted a graphics card with dual output, and saw one on eeeeebay
rather cheap.
When it arrived, it had one DMS-59 connector. I should have know
better when picture says
something like "for illustration purposes only, may not be actual
item".
I only saw one of these once before in my life, on a pizza box server.
Well, I can get an adapter for $6 (if I am prepared to wait for snail
mail).

Well, at least you can fill your time sniveling while you wait.

Old September 30th 12, 05:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

BW wrote:
I wanted a graphics card with dual output, and saw one on eeeeebay
rather cheap.
When it arrived, it had one DMS-59 connector. I should have know
better when picture says
something like "for illustration purposes only, may not be actual
item".
I only saw one of these once before in my life, on a pizza box server.
Well, I can get an adapter for $6 (if I am prepared to wait for snail
mail).

If a card is advertised as being low profile, that limits
what will be on the faceplate right away. And if it's something
like PNY brand, that raises the odds as well, of finding DMS-59.
The one here is only $50. And while listed in the low profile section,
this one has the wrong faceplate on it (full height?)

I also couldn't find anything to state the pinout on all of
them is the same. The Wikipedia article didn't mention any
standard associated with it. So maybe that makes the pinout
a defacto standard ?

http://support.euro.dell.com/support...EN/connect.htm

Paul
Old September 30th 12, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Paul nospam needed.com wrote:

BW wrote:

I wanted a graphics card with dual output, and saw one on
eeeeebay rather cheap. When it arrived, it had one DMS-59
connector. I should have know better when picture says
something like "for illustration purposes only, may not be
actual item". I only saw one of these once before in my life,
on a pizza box server. Well, I can get an adapter for $6 (if I
am prepared to wait for snail mail).

If a card is advertised as being low profile, that limits what
will be on the faceplate right away.

They can't extend the inputs and outputs to a position
about 1 inch higher? I guess they never do. Just curious.

Old September 30th 12, 09:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

BW wrote:

I wanted a graphics card with dual output, and saw one on
eeeeebay rather cheap. When it arrived, it had one DMS-59
connector. I should have know better when picture says
something like "for illustration purposes only, may not be
actual item". I only saw one of these once before in my life,
on a pizza box server. Well, I can get an adapter for $6 (if I
am prepared to wait for snail mail).

If a card is advertised as being low profile, that limits what
will be on the faceplate right away.

They can't extend the inputs and outputs to a position
about 1 inch higher? I guess they never do. Just curious.

On low profile that come with two (or three) faceplates, they put
three connectors on the high profile faceplate. The top-most
one is VGA and connected via a ribbon cable, with removable
connector at the PCB. When you put on the low profile
faceplate, you unplug the VGA one. Depending on the design
(and how much room your computer has), they may come with
two low-profile faceplates, and the second plate has room for the
VGA connector you just unplugged. So they fix the problem,
by making the VGA installation flexible.

VGA |

DIN | DIN | VGA |
| == | + |
DVI | DVI | |

But one of the more "fixed" low profile designs, just has
DMS-59 on the front. But you still have some options for
two channels of output, as shown by the adapters provided.
It tends to hang outside the computer a bit more. This one
is DVI-I and fully flexible. But older ones came with VGA-only
Y cable, or DVI-D-only Y cable. This one is actually pretty
good, compared to products offered in the past. The GPU
on this card sucks though.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-133-454-Z05?$S640W$

Newegg lists cards as "low profile" or "low profile ready",
but you have to carefully check each product description,
to see whether the right faceplate(s) are present. The same
issue could arise in an Ebay purchase. Accessories, like all
the faceplates, could be missing.

Paul