Can't boot from DVD drive

Old January 17th 10, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Flip Wilson

Default Can't boot from DVD drive

"Jan Alter" wrote in
:

So what happens if you choose 5) - 7) Hard drives and select the
subcategory HL-DT-STDVD-RA ?

I'm sorry, Jan. I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. The list I
was referring to were available boot devices. I don't think there are any
subcategories. 5) - 7) Represent my 3 hard drives.
Old January 17th 10, 08:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Flip Wilson

philo wrote in
:

Well if the device is usable from within the OS it's got to be OK

It should be listed somewhere in the bios?

It is in the CMOS setup utility. Otherwise nowhere that I can find in the
BIOS.
Old January 17th 10, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jan Alter

"Flip Wilson" wrote in message
"Jan Alter" wrote in
:

So what happens if you choose 5) - 7) Hard drives and select the
subcategory HL-DT-STDVD-RA ?

I'm sorry, Jan. I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. The list I
was referring to were available boot devices. I don't think there are any
subcategories. 5) - 7) Represent my 3 hard drives.

I guess I misunderstood so am sorry for the direction I was trying to lead
you. I thought the HL-DT-STDVD-RA was showing up as a bootable device under
the hard drive category. Another thought to try is disconnecting the Sony
CD-ROM drive and keep the DVD drive attached.

And here goes the stretch thought: check out the mb maker's website to see
if there is an updated bios, and if there is read what their comments are to
what it fixes.

--
Jan Alter

Old January 17th 10, 10:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Flip Wilson wrote:

"Jan Alter" wrote in -
september.org:

Is 'CD' or 'CD-ROM' listed as one of the items that you can boot?

In the CMOS setup utility, my CDROM drive shows up as "SONY CD-RW CRX" under "IDE
Primary Master". My DVD drive shows up as "HL-DT-STDVD-RA" under "IDE Primary
Slave"

As for boot options, there are 9 options:
1) Floppy
2) - 4) Card Reader
5) - 7) Hard drives
8) "CD/DVD: PM-SONY CD-RW CRX216"
9) Disabled

So my CD drive is available to boot from.

There isn't a boot *order* configuration (i.e., what order of drive types to
use)? Try using the following boot device order:

first=#1(floppy)
second=#8(CD/DVD)
third=#5-7(hard disk)

Did you have a disc in the CD-RW drive and not in the DVD-RA drive? That
might've been why the first drive with media was listed. It may also simply
list the first found device but any such device type would work. That is,
if you put a disc in the CD-RW drive then you can boot from that, but there
is no disc in that one but there is in the next device (DVD-RA) then that
device gets used for booting.

What is the current boot *order* now? You said that you were able to boot
using the DVD-RA drive when you installed Windows 7. You sure it was the
DVD drive and not the CD-RW drive?

Did you open the case at any time to change hardware before or after your
install of Windows 7? Maybe you tugged on the data cable going to the DVD
drive and pulled it off or loosened it.

Can you use the DVD drive (not for booting but just reading files off discs
that you put in it)?
Old January 18th 10, 12:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Lucas[_2_]

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 04:40:04 +0000 (UTC), Flip Wilson
wrote:

I installed windows 7 a few weeks ago. Now my DVD drive isn't available to
boot from. The drive is detected in my BIOS, and works fine once windows
boots. Any help would be appreciated.

Is it with the same install-disc you can't boot ?
or an other bootable disk ?
or not at all possible to boot from any bootable disc ?

It is possible that the format of the un-bootable disk is 'ISO 13346
UDF' standard;
Some older BIOS (maybe +/- 4 years old) don't recognise always this
format and give possible an 'error 15', and take the next bootable
device specified in the BIOS.
If that is the problem, it's possible to boot with a bootable
'workaround BIOS' LINUX floppy, set as first boot,
and then select the ISO/UDF-disc.

Lucas

Old January 18th 10, 01:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Flip Wilson

VanguardLH wrote in :

There isn't a boot *order* configuration (i.e., what order of drive
types to use)? Try using the following boot device order:

first=#1(floppy)
second=#8(CD/DVD)
third=#5-7(hard disk)

Yes. There is a boot order. I've already tried that boot order, and my
PC always boots from the hard drive. Just for kicks, I tried making my
CD drive my first, second AND third boot device, (with "Boot other
device" set to "NO") and it still booted from the hard drive, which I
wasn't expecting. Looks like my PC boots from one of my hard drive
regardless of the boot device order.

Did you have a disc in the CD-RW drive and not in the DVD-RA drive?
That might've been why the first drive with media was listed. It may
also simply list the first found device but any such device type would
work. That is, if you put a disc in the CD-RW drive then you can boot
from that, but there is no disc in that one but there is in the next
device (DVD-RA) then that device gets used for booting.

Good point. I've tried booting with a CD in my CD drive and DVD in my
DVD drive. Neither will boot.

What is the current boot *order* now? You said that you were able to
boot using the DVD-RA drive when you installed Windows 7. You sure it
was the DVD drive and not the CD-RW drive?

Yes. Windows 7 was installed from a DVD, not a CD.

Did you open the case at any time to change hardware before or after
your install of Windows 7?

Before I installed windows7, I replaced a TV card. I was able to boot
from my DVD drive then because I was able to install windows. After
windows was installed and my DVD drive couldn't boot, I unplugged the
data and power cables to the DVD drive, rebooted, then turned the PC off
and reconnected the cables securely to let the DVD be detected again.

Maybe you tugged on the data cable going
to the DVD drive and pulled it off or loosened it.

Can you use the DVD drive (not for booting but just reading files off
discs that you put in it)?

Yes. Once Windows 7 boots, my DVD drive works fine.
Old January 18th 10, 02:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Well, I've gone as far as I can on a *generic* host since you never have
identified your make and model. Could be you have SATA hard disks and IDE
optical drives and somehow SATA devices get booted first, or you SATA
optical drives and IDE hard disks and the BIOS defaults to using IDE devices
first.
Old January 18th 10, 11:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Flip Wilson

VanguardLH wrote in :

Well, I've gone as far as I can on a *generic* host since you never
have identified your make and model. Could be you have SATA hard
disks and IDE optical drives and somehow SATA devices get booted
first, or you SATA optical drives and IDE hard disks and the BIOS
defaults to using IDE devices first.

My motherboard is an XFX nForce 610I GEFORCE 7050 SOCKET775 DD
Old January 19th 10, 12:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
mike

Flip Wilson wrote:
VanguardLH wrote in :

Well, I've gone as far as I can on a *generic* host since you never
have identified your make and model. Could be you have SATA hard
disks and IDE optical drives and somehow SATA devices get booted
first, or you SATA optical drives and IDE hard disks and the BIOS
defaults to using IDE devices first.

My motherboard is an XFX nForce 610I GEFORCE 7050 SOCKET775 DD

IF you installed the OS from the DVD.
AND you didn't change ANYTHING,
I can't see any way windows could have affected the system unless
it reflashed your BIOS. I don't think it did that.

I'm too lazy to reread the thread, so some of this may be redundant...
Did you unplug the hard drive and see if it would boot from DVD?
Did you swap the DVD to the primary port?

I have seen situations where the system would skip the DVD
and boot directly from the HD. But if I removed the HD, it would
boot from the DVD. I'm just guessing that my DVD drive was marginal.
With no other available boot options, it may try more times before
giving up.

There's a thing called PLOP boot manager.
I've used it on older systems where the bios didn't let me boot
the way I wanted. I booted PLOP from a floppy
and used it to select the boot device.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagerdl.html
Old January 19th 10, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jan Alter

"mike" wrote in message
Flip Wilson wrote:
VanguardLH wrote in :

[...]

That sounds like a terrific utility and a winner if it works.
Earlier in the thread I'd mentioned to the OP to take a look at the support
site for his mb and see if there happens to be a newer bios for his mb, and
if so to see what it fixes. He recently posted the name and number of his mb
and I went to XFX (maker of his mb) but found one had to register their
product before any downloads would be available. That stopped my search as I
had no XFX motherboard serial number to register.
About ten years ago I had an Abit KT7 that at some point in its life
wouldn't allow booting from the CD, even when I chose the CD as the first
device. It had a pretty early bios in the KT7 series and when I flashed it
to the newest I was suddenly re-able to boot from the CD. It was memorable
to me at least, and I thought perhaps the same possiblity could be true of
the OP's mb, should there be a new bios available.
--
Jan Alter