Can't boot from DVD drive

Old January 17th 10, 05:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Flip Wilson

Default Can't boot from DVD drive

I installed windows 7 a few weeks ago. Now my DVD drive isn't available to
boot from. The drive is detected in my BIOS, and works fine once windows
boots. Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 17th 10, 08:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Lez Pawl[_2_]

"Flip Wilson" wrote in message
I installed windows 7 a few weeks ago. Now my DVD drive isn't available to
boot from. The drive is detected in my BIOS, and works fine once windows
boots. Any help would be appreciated.

it might be detected in the BIOS but is it set to BOOT FROM CD in the BIOS.

Old January 17th 10, 11:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Flip Wilson wrote:

I installed windows 7 a few weeks ago. Now my DVD drive isn't available to
boot from. The drive is detected in my BIOS, and works fine once windows
boots. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, that does NOT mention if you could boot from the DVD drive *before*
installing Windows 7 (assuming you were using some OS on the same host
before you moved to Windows 7). So were you able to boot from that drive
before?

Did you check the boot drive order in your BIOS settings?
Old January 17th 10, 02:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Flip Wilson

VanguardLH wrote in :

Flip Wilson wrote:

I installed windows 7 a few weeks ago. Now my DVD drive isn't
available to boot from. The drive is detected in my BIOS, and works
fine once windows boots. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, that does NOT mention if you could boot from the DVD drive
*before* installing Windows 7 (assuming you were using some OS on the
same host before you moved to Windows 7). So were you able to boot
from that drive before?

Did you check the boot drive order in your BIOS settings?

Yes. I booted from my DVD drive to install Windows 7. As for the boot
order, my DVD drive isn't on the list of devices to select for booting.
Old January 17th 10, 02:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Flip Wilson wrote:
VanguardLH wrote in :

Flip Wilson wrote:

I installed windows 7 a few weeks ago. Now my DVD drive isn't
available to boot from. The drive is detected in my BIOS, and works
fine once windows boots. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, that does NOT mention if you could boot from the DVD drive
*before* installing Windows 7 (assuming you were using some OS on the
same host before you moved to Windows 7). So were you able to boot
from that drive before?

Did you check the boot drive order in your BIOS settings?

Yes. I booted from my DVD drive to install Windows 7. As for the boot
order, my DVD drive isn't on the list of devices to select for booting.

That's the problem then you will need to let your bios re-detect it

Note: it may say CDROM instead of DVD
Old January 17th 10, 02:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jan Alter

VanguardLH wrote in :

Flip Wilson wrote:

I installed windows 7 a few weeks ago. Now my DVD drive isn't
available to boot from. The drive is detected in my BIOS, and works
fine once windows boots. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, that does NOT mention if you could boot from the DVD drive
*before* installing Windows 7 (assuming you were using some OS on the
same host before you moved to Windows 7). So were you able to boot
from that drive before?

Did you check the boot drive order in your BIOS settings?

Yes. I booted from my DVD drive to install Windows 7. As for the boot
order, my DVD drive isn't on the list of devices to select for booting.

Is 'CD' or 'CD-ROM' listed as one of the items that you can boot?
--
Jan Alter

Old January 17th 10, 02:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Flip Wilson

"Jan Alter" wrote in -
september.org:

Is 'CD' or 'CD-ROM' listed as one of the items that you can boot?

In the CMOS setup utility, my CDROM drive shows up as "SONY CD-RW CRX" under "IDE
Primary Master". My DVD drive shows up as "HL-DT-STDVD-RA" under "IDE Primary
Slave"

As for boot options, there are 9 options:
1) Floppy
2) - 4) Card Reader
5) - 7) Hard drives
8) "CD/DVD: PM-SONY CD-RW CRX216"
9) Disabled

So my CD drive is available to boot from.

Old January 17th 10, 03:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Flip Wilson

philo wrote in

That's the problem then you will need to let your bios re-detect it

Note: it may say CDROM instead of DVD

I did try unplugging the power and data cables from the drive, rebooting,
then plugging both back in to let the bios re-detect it, but nothing
appears to have changed.
Old January 17th 10, 05:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jan Alter

"Flip Wilson" wrote in message
"Jan Alter" wrote in -
september.org:

Is 'CD' or 'CD-ROM' listed as one of the items that you can boot?

In the CMOS setup utility, my CDROM drive shows up as "SONY CD-RW CRX"
under "IDE
Primary Master". My DVD drive shows up as "HL-DT-STDVD-RA" under "IDE
Primary
Slave"

As for boot options, there are 9 options:
1) Floppy
2) - 4) Card Reader
5) - 7) Hard drives
8) "CD/DVD: PM-SONY CD-RW CRX216"
9) Disabled

So my CD drive is available to boot from.

So what happens if you choose 5) - 7) Hard drives and select the
subcategory HL-DT-STDVD-RA ?
--
Jan Alter

Old January 17th 10, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Flip Wilson wrote:
philo wrote in
That's the problem then you will need to let your bios re-detect it

Note: it may say CDROM instead of DVD

I did try unplugging the power and data cables from the drive, rebooting,
then plugging both back in to let the bios re-detect it, but nothing
appears to have changed.

Well if the device is usable from within the OS it's got to be OK

It should be listed somewhere in the bios?