network printer

Old September 17th 13, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo [_2_]

Default network printer

I use a Samsung ML-2851ND which is networked (via wired router). I have
four computers connected to it through either ten foot or a 25 ft
lengths of cat5.

I also have a few 50' cables strung down to my workshop in the basement
and generally would have no need to print from there...but recently was
setting up a machine and noticed that I cannot detect the printer if I
use a 50' length of cat5...though the Internet connection itself is just
fine.

Does anyone know why I cannot use a 50' cable for a network printer,
I'd think that length would not be excessive.

BTW: I did try different router ports just in case some of them may
have been flaky .
Old September 17th 13, 02:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 9/17/2013 8:02 AM, philo wrote:
I use a Samsung ML-2851ND which is networked (via wired router). I have
four computers connected to it through either ten foot or a 25 ft
lengths of cat5.

I also have a few 50' cables strung down to my workshop in the basement
and generally would have no need to print from there...but recently was
setting up a machine and noticed that I cannot detect the printer if I
use a 50' length of cat5...though the Internet connection itself is just
fine.

Does anyone know why I cannot use a 50' cable for a network printer,
I'd think that length would not be excessive.

BTW: I did try different router ports just in case some of them may
have been flaky .

50' is not excessive, but I would definitely try a different cable to
see if it makes a difference.
Old September 17th 13, 03:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"Grinder" wrote in message
On 9/17/2013 8:02 AM, philo wrote:
I use a Samsung ML-2851ND which is networked (via wired router). I have
four computers connected to it through either ten foot or a 25 ft
lengths of cat5.

I also have a few 50' cables strung down to my workshop in the basement
and generally would have no need to print from there...but recently was
setting up a machine and noticed that I cannot detect the printer if I
use a 50' length of cat5...though the Internet connection itself is just
fine.

Does anyone know why I cannot use a 50' cable for a network printer,
I'd think that length would not be excessive.

BTW: I did try different router ports just in case some of them may
have been flaky .

50' is not excessive, but I would definitely try a different cable to see
if it makes a difference.

I've tried two thus far...but I might as well buy a new cable and try
again.

Old September 17th 13, 09:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 9/17/2013 9:29 AM, philo wrote:
"Grinder" wrote in message
[...]

It seems like something else is going on. How about dragging the
computer up to the router and try with your 50' and other, shorter, cables.

Old September 17th 13, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"Grinder" wrote in message
[...]

Yep I've done that and it connects fine with the shorter cables, this makes
no sense as the internet connection is fine.

Old September 17th 13, 10:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Pen

"Grinder" wrote in message
[...]

Since you've tried everything else, have you tried changing the printer cable?

Old September 17th 13, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

"Grinder" wrote in message
[...]

Does it still not work with the 50' cable when the computer is right
next to the router?

Old September 17th 13, 11:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo [_2_]

"Grinder" wrote in message
On 9/17/2013 8:02 AM, philo wrote:
I use a Samsung ML-2851ND which is networked (via wired router). I have
four computers connected to it through either ten foot or a 25 ft
lengths of cat5.

I also have a few 50' cables strung down to my workshop in the basement
and generally would have no need to print from there...but recently was
setting up a machine and noticed that I cannot detect the printer if I
use a 50' length of cat5...though the Internet connection itself is
just
fine.

Yep I've done that and it connects fine with the shorter cables, this makes
no sense as the internet connection is fine.

Since you've tried everything else, have you tried changing the printer cable?

yes, I have tried two cables thus far
Old September 17th 13, 11:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo [_2_]

"Grinder" wrote in message
On 9/17/2013 8:02 AM, philo wrote:
I use a Samsung ML-2851ND which is networked (via wired router). I
have
four computers connected to it through either ten foot or a 25 ft
lengths of cat5.

I also have a few 50' cables strung down to my workshop in the
basement
and generally would have no need to print from there...but
recently was
setting up a machine and noticed that I cannot detect the printer
if I

Yep I've done that and it connects fine with the shorter cables, this
makes
no sense as the internet connection is fine.

Does it still not work with the 50' cable when the computer is right
next to the router?

I have no way to do that, the cables were snaked down through the walls etc.

I am going to put this on hold and eventually get a new cable and try again.
Old September 18th 13, 02:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

"Grinder" wrote in message
[...]

Well, it's not a grounding problem, because Ethernet is
transformer isolated. The transformers on each end,
are responsible for removing common mode noise.
As long as the same amount of noise is coupled into each
wire, it all cancels out inside the transformer. The transformers
come in a DIP style package that is relatively small. In some
cases, the transformers are part of the Ethernet connector stack.

Paul

network printer? philo General 12 August 17th 10 11:13 AM
What IP for network printer ? Don Phillipson Printers 0 December 31st 07 02:23 PM
Select your network printer by its location instead of its network name Quantanics Printers 0 December 6th 05 07:13 PM
Select your network printer by its location instead of its (confusing) network name Quantanics Printers 0 July 23rd 05 06:23 PM
Which network printer? Stratman Printers 1 November 26th 04 07:02 AM