Dell Optiplex GX270 IDE Cable Needed

Old July 4th 13, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected][_2_]

Default Dell Optiplex GX270 IDE Cable Needed

I am trying to restore a Dell Optiplex GX270 small factor.
The motherboard has IDE1 and IDE2 connections. The former is unused,
and the latter is connected to the CD drive. The power cables
include a PATA (molex) connector, but no SATA. I have spare IDE hard
drives, no SATA drives. I think I should be able to connect a IDE
hard drive to the GX270 IDE1 - install an OS on it, and run the GX270
that way. Sound okay? (Please tell me if I can't)

Anyway, I need a flat ribbon cable to connect an IDE hard drive to
motherboard IDE1. I can't find one to buy. Anyone know where I might
find one? Otherwise I will have to buy a SATA drive and a IDESATA
power adapter. Just trying to go the cheapest route.

Thanks for any advice or info.

me
Old July 4th 13, 07:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Pen

On 7/4/2013 2:24 PM, wrote:
I am trying to restore a Dell Optiplex GX270 small factor.
The motherboard has IDE1 and IDE2 connections. The former is unused,
and the latter is connected to the CD drive. The power cables
include a PATA (molex) connector, but no SATA. I have spare IDE hard
drives, no SATA drives. I think I should be able to connect a IDE
hard drive to the GX270 IDE1 - install an OS on it, and run the GX270
that way. Sound okay? (Please tell me if I can't)

Anyway, I need a flat ribbon cable to connect an IDE hard drive to
motherboard IDE1. I can't find one to buy. Anyone know where I might
find one? Otherwise I will have to buy a SATA drive and a IDESATA
power adapter. Just trying to go the cheapest route.

Thanks for any advice or info.

me

Try B&H they sell them
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
Old July 4th 13, 07:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Pen

On 7/4/2013 2:24 PM, wrote:
I am trying to restore a Dell Optiplex GX270 small factor.
The motherboard has IDE1 and IDE2 connections. The former is unused,
and the latter is connected to the CD drive. The power cables
include a PATA (molex) connector, but no SATA. I have spare IDE hard
drives, no SATA drives. I think I should be able to connect a IDE
hard drive to the GX270 IDE1 - install an OS on it, and run the GX270
that way. Sound okay? (Please tell me if I can't)

Anyway, I need a flat ribbon cable to connect an IDE hard drive to
motherboard IDE1. I can't find one to buy. Anyone know where I might
find one? Otherwise I will have to buy a SATA drive and a IDESATA
power adapter. Just trying to go the cheapest route.

Thanks for any advice or info.

me

This one is even better
http://www.techxtend.com/PPI_US/Prod...FVIV7AodZ20AhA
Old July 4th 13, 08:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected][_2_]

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 14:39:01 -0400, Pen wrote:

Try B&H they sell them
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Boy I am not familiar with the Aleratec Inc 1:1 HDD PortaCruiser. I
don't know if the cable ends are compatible with the IDE connections
on the Optiplex mobo.

Thanks for response.

me
Old July 4th 13, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 7/4/2013 2:24 PM, wrote:
I am trying to restore a Dell Optiplex GX270 small factor.
The motherboard has IDE1 and IDE2 connections. The former is unused,
and the latter is connected to the CD drive. The power cables
include a PATA (molex) connector, but no SATA. I have spare IDE hard
drives, no SATA drives. I think I should be able to connect a IDE
hard drive to the GX270 IDE1 - install an OS on it, and run the GX270
that way. Sound okay? (Please tell me if I can't)

Anyway, I need a flat ribbon cable to connect an IDE hard drive to
motherboard IDE1. I can't find one to buy. Anyone know where I might
find one? Otherwise I will have to buy a SATA drive and a IDESATA
power adapter. Just trying to go the cheapest route.

Thanks for any advice or info.

me

Available through Amazon.com for anything from $0.69 and up (just search
for "IDE CABLE") but I would think that any computer junk shop would have
them by the bushel and would be glad to get rid of them cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/40-Pin-Interna...ords=ide+cable

Old July 4th 13, 08:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected][_2_]

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 14:42:24 -0400, Pen wrote:

This one is even better
http://www.techxtend.com/PPI_US/Prod...FVIV7AodZ20AhA

I'll have to somehow check closer to be sure I can connect the cable's
end to the Optiplex mobo. I am assuming that I can ignore the
controller card connector. What do you think?

Just out of curiosity, how would this Tripp Lite cable connect up to a
normal desktop mobo that has a IDE controller card plugged into a
mobo's PCI slot? Seems like the cable has an extra connector (to
me). I ask out of ignorance, so be gentle.

Thanks for response.

me
Old July 4th 13, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected][_2_]

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 15:34:33 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

Available through Amazon.com for anything from $0.69 and up (just search
for "IDE CABLE") but I would think that any computer junk shop would have
them by the bushel and would be glad to get rid of them cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/40-Pin-Interna...ords=ide+cable

Hmmm. I didn't think the Optiplex cable had the same ends as an
ordinary IDE cable, of which I have many. Shows how dumb I am.
I'll take a look at that possibility. Would be nice if it works.

Thanks

me
Old July 4th 13, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Pen

wrote:

Available through Amazon.com for anything from $0.69 and up (just search
for "IDE CABLE") but I would think that any computer junk shop would have
them by the bushel and would be glad to get rid of them cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/40-Pin-Interna...ords=ide+cable

Hmmm. I didn't think the Optiplex cable had the same ends as an
ordinary IDE cable, of which I have many. Shows how dumb I am.
I'll take a look at that possibility. Would be nice if it works.

Thanks

me

The Optiplex uses a standard IDE cable. The normal ones have
3 connectors for the 2 drives allowed by the interface. You
can use a 2 connector one if you have no interest in a
second drive or just put the CD on the 2nd one.
Old July 4th 13, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ar

On 04/07/13 21:27, Pen wrote:

The Optiplex uses a standard IDE cable. The normal ones have
3 connectors for the 2 drives allowed by the interface. You
can use a 2 connector one if you have no interest in a
second drive or just put the CD on the 2nd one.

It's not recommended to put a CD drive on the same IDE cable as a hard
drive, the hard drive speed will slow down a LOT. Use that only if
desperate.
Old July 4th 13, 11:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
David W. Hodgins

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 14:24:24 -0400, wrote:

Anyway, I need a flat ribbon cable to connect an IDE hard drive to
motherboard IDE1. I can't find one to buy. Anyone know where I might
find one? Otherwise I will have to buy a SATA drive and a IDESATA
power adapter. Just trying to go the cheapest route.

Wherever you buy it from, make sure it's an 80 wire cable. They still
only have 40 pins on each end, but have extra ground wires, to reduce
"cross-talk", between the wires.

Regards, Dave Hodgins