X800 Xt PE, Serious problem

Old February 7th 05, 03:29 AM
HockeyTownUSA

wrote in message
oups.com...
have the same card and similar setup with a cheapy Coolmax 400W PS
(very
quiet) and it works fine. Does the video card fan spin up when you turn
the
PC on?

Yes, it spins up to normal speed but then slows WAY down, and then I
get the message on-screen.

Have you run the program ATITool or any other ATI overclock program?

ATITool can control the fan speed, and if it was somehow set to a low rpm,
then that may screw it up. Check he

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

and download this program. Then check under "Settings" and then select "Fan
Control" from the pulldown menu. Click on "Override Fan Speeds" and select
the "Fixed Percentage" and set to 100%. This program does not have to run in
the background either to set fan to 100% (or whatever speed you desire) just
by selecting the "Miscellaneous" option in the pulldown menu and select
"Load on Windows Startup" by using registry key or start menu. I use
registry key. Then click the box that says to close windows once 2D settings
have been set.

Other than that, if that isn't the problem, then your video card is bad...

Old February 7th 05, 05:11 AM
No

Is this a PCI-E card by chance?

Just installed the X850XT PE here and needed to connect the molex cable (y
cable that came with card) to the card, motherboard, and power for it to
work.

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
You may have already done this, but try a different Molex connector
from the
power supply. Preferably one that is on it's own, not one that's the
2nd or
3rd on a chain. If you still get the message, install the card into a
different system and see what message you get there. It's possible the
card
is bad, but the more likely culprit is the ps.

Already tried both options and got the same results. I switched out the
350 watt PS that came with the tower for this 500 watt Rosewill and
have the same problem.

Old February 7th 05, 03:28 PM
No

The PCI-E cards require the PSU to connect ato a Y cable. One half goes to
the vid card and the other to a connector on the motherboard.

wrote in message
oups.com...
s this a PCI-E card by chance?

No, it's the AGP version, but otherwise it's identicle.

needed to connect the molex cable (y
cable that came with card) to the card, motherboard, and power for it
work.

Huh? My mobo is connected to a different kind of connecter than is the
video card. I have the video card connected via molex to it's own power
cable, and it's inserted in the AGP slot.

Old February 8th 05, 06:09 AM

Have you run the program ATITool or any other ATI overclock program?

I haven't installed ANYTHING, not even Windows. This computer is all
*brand new parts*. I put the thing togethor, tried to boot it to format
the HD and install Windows, and I started having this problem.