Urgent! Serious Problem folks...

Old May 15th 04, 07:04 PM
Brandon

Default Urgent! Serious Problem folks...

Okay, so I just went out and bought a new Asus P4P800-E DX board and
2.8E Prescott CPU... one would think everything would be cool right?
Easy as pie... nope.

My old P3 1Gig/256/40G is what I'm upgrading from. (and currently
using)

Here's the problem: I've installed the board, no problem, I can
access BIOS and all that fun stuff... it EVEN recognizes my Samsung
HD...

HOWEVER...

Whenever I go to boot up, it gets as far as a black screen then
reboots... when I try Win XP Safe mode or command prompt, you can see
the drivers being loaded and then *poof* reboot.

The harddrive boots fine, I'm using it right now, I've patched my P3
board in for the short term while I figure this out. I'd call ASUS
support, but they're a CRAZY long distance number for me (Canada) and
I hear they're evil for making you wait on the line...

I can't even update the BIOS 'cause for some reason, my boot disks
aren't working... they're telling me that my Command.com is
corrupted... when they're obviously not...

What the $%#! is going on?

Please help... thanks!
Brandon

==============
Old May 15th 04, 07:11 PM
SteveH

"Brandon" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,
Are you trying to boot from the XP you were running on your old board? If
so, it's unlikely it's going to boot up and behave like nothing has
happened.
You would need to boot from your XP install CD and do a repair install.
If you are talking about a fresh instal you have done, I would go into BIOS
and try failsafe settings for a start, and see what happens.

HTH
SteveH

Old May 15th 04, 07:21 PM
sooky grumper

Brandon wrote:
Okay, so I just went out and bought a new Asus P4P800-E DX board and
2.8E Prescott CPU... one would think everything would be cool right?
Easy as pie... nope.

My old P3 1Gig/256/40G is what I'm upgrading from. (and currently
using)

And you DID upgrade the POWER SUPPLY too, right?

Here's the problem: I've installed the board, no problem, I can
access BIOS and all that fun stuff... it EVEN recognizes my Samsung
HD...

HOWEVER...

Whenever I go to boot up, it gets as far as a black screen then
reboots... when I try Win XP Safe mode or command prompt, you can see
the drivers being loaded and then *poof* reboot.

The harddrive boots fine, I'm using it right now, I've patched my P3
board in for the short term while I figure this out. I'd call ASUS
support, but they're a CRAZY long distance number for me (Canada) and
I hear they're evil for making you wait on the line...

Assuming it isn't the power supply, then check that you've installed the
heat sink correctly AND the fan is spinning.

Other things to check AFTER these first two:
1. RAM: run memtest86
2. Reinstall windows from the cdrom by selecting options as though you
were doing a clean install (recommended) and when it finds a previous
version, tell it to repair it.

Old May 16th 04, 04:04 PM
Brandon

Hey all!

Thanks for the help As is turns out, it ended up being not a
hardware issue at all... well sort of... it was BECAUSE of the
hardware.

Apparently ripping out a good chunk of your PC hardware and installing
new stuff is enough to make Win XP go 'WTF'?!

Once I repaired XP with the CD everything's been kosher...

Tho' for the record I had no idea that the newer systems/fans, etc
were SO noisy...

Outside of throwing a blanked over it, is there any way to quiet this
beast down?

Thanks all,

Cheers!

Brandon

ASUS A7N8X-E Fan RPM Reads Zero Problem RESOLVED (Sort-Of) G.L. Cross General 5 September 29th 04 04:44 PM
Strange lock-up problem. ~misfit~ General 7 September 15th 04 01:08 AM
Unusual DVD-rom problem Sizif General 0 July 7th 04 03:25 PM
Boot problem - NVRAM? - Pri Master HDD Error RedSparks Homebuilt PC's 1 January 31st 04 02:07 PM
Sound Card Problem cracking noise, SB Live 5.1 Majestic Homebuilt PC's 1 December 24th 03 08:12 AM