procedure for updating BIOS P4P800

Old February 21st 04, 03:43 AM
Tim Lansberry

Default procedure for updating BIOS P4P800

Just built a system with the P4P800, win Xp Pro, and I want to update the
BIOS from the 08.00.09 (11/06/03) to the latest 08.10.15 It says to not use
the EZflash utility unless the current BIOS is the 1014, otherwise create a
DOS boot disk. But my XP is NTFS so there is no DOS to boot to? How do I
update the BIOS then?

--
T Lansberry

Old February 21st 04, 05:20 AM
billh

"Tim Lansberry" wrote in message
Just built a system with the P4P800, win Xp Pro, and I want to update the
BIOS from the 08.00.09 (11/06/03) to the latest 08.10.15 It says to not

use
the EZflash utility unless the current BIOS is the 1014, otherwise create

DOS boot disk. But my XP is NTFS so there is no DOS to boot to? How do I
update the BIOS then?

--
T Lansberry

If you have a w98 machine you can create a startup disk and delete some
unneeded progs if you need extra room for your flashing stuff. You can go to
www.bootdisk.com and download a bootdisk. Be sure to send in a few dollars
if it works for you; this guy is providing a good service.

Billh

Old February 21st 04, 05:48 AM
Navid

"Tim Lansberry" wrote in message
Just built a system with the P4P800, win Xp Pro, and I want to update the
BIOS from the 08.00.09 (11/06/03) to the latest 08.10.15 It says to not

use
the EZflash utility unless the current BIOS is the 1014, otherwise create

DOS boot disk. But my XP is NTFS so there is no DOS to boot to? How do I
update the BIOS then?

--
T Lansberry

You can create a startup floppy and use it to boot to DOS
regardless of whether you have NTFS or FAT or whatever.

Old February 21st 04, 08:56 AM
Tim

Tim

Under XP you can create a floppy boot disc using My Computer - shove the
floppy in the drive, right click on a: and select format and then tick the
option at the bottom: Create an MS Dos startup disk.

HTH
- Tim

Old February 21st 04, 05:32 PM
Tim Lansberry

Thanks, I did that but I'm not sure there is enough room on the floppy to
put the extra apps to load the bios on the floppy since the C; drive is not
available (NTFS). There seems to be 2 or 3 different methods to update the
bios on this board depending on the current bios version and OS - a tad
confusing. I'll look again to see if there's a combination that works.

--
Tim Lansberry

Old February 21st 04, 05:38 PM
GMAN

In article , "Tim Lansberry" wrote:
Thanks, I did that but I'm not sure there is enough room on the floppy to
put the extra apps to load the bios on the floppy since the C; drive is not
available (NTFS). There seems to be 2 or 3 different methods to update the
bios on this board depending on the current bios version and OS - a tad
confusing. I'll look again to see if there's a combination that works.

If you are using XP, just go to where you format a floppy and tell it to
create DOS startup disk. It is a little different than with ME or 98 etc where
it put all the ide and scsi drivers etc on the disk. It will just create a
bootable floppy that will boot you to a dos prompt. There is plenty room on
the floppy for the bios file and the flash program.
Old February 21st 04, 10:49 PM
Tim

Tim

Once you have the boot floppy you then need to have at hand only the bios
update files - IE the flash program (name changes often), the bios and
usually thats it. Nothing to do with C drive or any of the other utilities
that are mentioned - the bios update runs from DOS using a program written
for DOS that usually fits nicely onto a boot floppy - if not get another
blank floppy and put the bios update program and new bios file on there.

Take a look at the documentation - it is more complete.

- Tim