How wide is a widescreen monitor!?

Old August 11th 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dan

Default How wide is a widescreen monitor!?

Hey

I've been trying to work out how wide and how tall the picture will be on a
19inch widescreen monitor (16:9) that I just brought.

My maths has failed me. *embarrassed*. So can someone please demonstrate
nicely how to work it out.

Thankyou

Dan

Old August 11th 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dan

Cheers. Seems I'm gaining more width than I am losing height which is good.
Could you show the method you used to work that out please?

Danke

Dan

Old August 11th 06, 02:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Lewis

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 01:42:36 +0100, "Dan"
wrote:

Cheers. Seems I'm gaining more width than I am losing height which is good.
Could you show the method you used to work that out please?

Danke

Dan

(hypotenuse)^2= (sideA)^2+ (sideB)^2 of a right-triangle...... (1)
(Pythagoras' theorem)

hypotenuese == diagonal screen measurement == the stated screen size.

and sideA/sideB = width/height = 16/9........................(2)
( for a true wide-screen display )

Then just do the math.

Using 19 inches diagonal and simplifying for sideA

19^2= (sideA) ^2 + (9/16*sideA)^2... substituting eq (2) in eq (1)

Collecting together the coefficients of (sideA)^2 and squaring the
9/16 term gives:-

19^2= [1+ 81/256] * (sideA)^2

361=337/256 * (sideA)^2

therefo

361*256/337 = (sideA)^2

Hence, sideA = Square Root of ( 361* 256/337 )

Using your calculator this gives

sideA= 16.559935..... inches

and side B= 9/16 * side A = 9.31496355..... inches

QED.

John Lewis
Old August 11th 06, 02:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Pythagorean: sqrt(16^2+9^2) = 18.36
Ratio of w:h:diag is thus: 16:9:18.36

So if the diagonal is 19":
width = (16/18.36)x19 = 16.6"
height = (9/18.36)x19 = 9.3"
area = 16.6*9.3 = 154 in^2

A 4:3 19" monitor has 173 in^2 of screen area, so you are losing about 13%
desktop real estate. Better step up to a 21" or 24" if you want widescreen.
:-)

Old August 11th 06, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dan

"First of One" wrote in message
Pythagorean: sqrt(16^2+9^2) = 18.36
Ratio of w:h:diag is thus: 16:9:18.36

So if the diagonal is 19":
width = (16/18.36)x19 = 16.6"
height = (9/18.36)x19 = 9.3"
area = 16.6*9.3 = 154 in^2

A 4:3 19" monitor has 173 in^2 of screen area, so you are losing about 13%
desktop real estate. Better step up to a 21" or 24" if you want
widescreen. :-)

I've just done the maths (think its right) and with a 19inch crt the viewing
area is just under 18 inch but with 19inch widescreem lcd its 19inch I
think. So I think I'm slightly gaining some viewing space?

I got 162inch2 for widescreen and 155inch2 for crt.

Dan

Old August 11th 06, 07:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dan

sorry got 154inch2 for widescreen and 155inch2 for 4:3. Losing an inch. I
can live with that!

Cheers

Dan

Old August 11th 06, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Not only should your target purchase be compared against your existing CRT,
it should also be compared against alternatives on the market. My numbers
are for a 4:3 19" LCD monitor, which I believe are priced equal or lower
than widescreen monitors of the same size.

Old August 12th 06, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Sharanga Dayananda

Most PC widescreen monitors are 16:10, so that's something to bear in mind
when making your calculations. 16:9 material will be shown with borders.

Beware of LG Yugo Printers 31 July 12th 06 08:06 PM
LCD Monitor widescreen recommendations... grateful gift ermmm Nvidia Videocards 6 January 5th 06 09:56 PM
LCD Monitor widescreen recommendations... grateful gift ermmm Ati Videocards 8 January 5th 06 09:56 PM
Widescreen external LCD monitor Nicholas F Hodder Dell Computers 1 May 11th 04 11:59 PM
Is Dell P1110 21" monitor the same as Liyama S102GT 21" monitor? private person Homebuilt PC's 0 February 25th 04 04:56 PM