A8N-SLI Premium resuming from hibernation unexpectedly

Old September 9th 05, 10:36 PM
milleron

Default A8N-SLI Premium resuming from hibernation unexpectedly

My A8N-SLI Premium was the third computer in my office, so I had to
switch from my old trusty 2-port Linksys KVM to a 4-port IOGear KVM.

However, with this switch, if I Hibernate the A8N-SLI Premium and then
switch to another computer after the hibernation is complete, it
resumes from hibernation. If I quickly switch away from it while it's
still "Preparing to Hibernate," it finishes the process and remains in
Hibernation. If I inadvertently switch back to it, it comes out of
Hibernation. All the functions like wake-on-LAN, -keyboard, -modem,
and -mouse are DISabled in BIOS. The key sequence necessary to switch
the new KVM is CTRL-SHFT-ALT (followed by a port number). I can't
tell if it wakes either of the other computers, because I've never
been able to make either of them Hibernate (one's too old, and the
other's an A7M266 that should be capable of Hibernation, but has never
been able to do so).
How can PS2 input make a Hibernating computer come out of Hibernation?

Ron
Old September 12th 05, 11:27 PM

My a8n-sli-p is set to hibernate after 2 hours. Any input on the PS2
wakes it up. Many KVM's reset the signals to the PS2 ports when you
switch computers.

Try hibernating the PC w/out the KVM and see it if works. If it does,
it's your KVM. Not sure about your a8n-sli-p, but mine takes as long
to hibernate as it does to power off then back on. About 8 seconds.
Might be stuck powering it off when not in use.

I've noticed on one of my KVM setups that wake on keyboard and wake on
PS2 do *not* work when the P4P800 is plugged into the KVM. I think
that's an IOGEAR one, not sure.

Old September 15th 05, 04:06 AM

HOW it's possible for the KVM to do that.

PC comes out of hybernation because of of voltage changes (that's all
keystrokes are anyway) on the PS2 port waking it up -- kvm sends these
voltages that wake it up -- only thing that makes sense. Some of my
newer KVMs (we have many here) reset the KM signals each time ya change
the selected computer in an effort to fix certain issues found in older
syle KVMs. Such as a PC remotely rebooted no longer having KM at the
console if another machine was selected at the time of reboot.

Sort of the opposite of my problem.

Yea. Might try a different KVM, eh? Though probably not an IOGear..?

Look at these;

http://www.dealtime.com/xPR-Iogear_M...CS1714_GCS1714
http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455
http://www.epinions.com/content_103148457604
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c... 12bd32ba1ff88

Old September 16th 05, 11:49 PM
milleron

On 14 Sep 2005 20:06:59 -0700, wrote:

HOW it's possible for the KVM to do that.

PC comes out of hybernation because of of voltage changes (that's all
keystrokes are anyway) on the PS2 port waking it up -- kvm sends these
voltages that wake it up -- only thing that makes sense. Some of my
newer KVMs (we have many here) reset the KM signals each time ya change
the selected computer in an effort to fix certain issues found in older
syle KVMs. Such as a PC remotely rebooted no longer having KM at the
console if another machine was selected at the time of reboot.

Well, how does this explanation fit with the fact that I have
wake-on-keyboard input disabled in BIOS? Besides that, the computer's
not in any standby mode. It's hibernated, so the "wake" settings in
BIOS shouldn't apply, anyway, should they?

Sort of the opposite of my problem.

Yea. Might try a different KVM, eh? Though probably not an IOGear..?

Look at these;

http://www.dealtime.com/xPR-Iogear_M...CS1714_GCS1714
http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455
http://www.epinions.com/content_103148457604
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c... 12bd32ba1ff88

The thing is, I like this IOGear switch. It allows me to use
multimedia keyboards that wouldn't work at all with my Linksys KVM.
I'm not looking for a new KVM. I just spent $90 on this one. I'm
just wondering if there's a way to prevent PS2 input from starting the
computer.

Ron