USB/USB-2 How can I tell?

Old May 12th 04, 09:01 PM
Chris Mayers

Default USB/USB-2 How can I tell?

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if my PC has USB-2 or just plain ole USB.
I'm running Windows2000.

Cheers,

ChrisM

Old May 12th 04, 11:04 PM
kony

On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:01:58 +0100, "Chris Mayers"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if my PC has USB-2 or just plain ole USB.
I'm running Windows2000.

Yes, we can tell you.

Next time when you provide more details, we might too.
Old May 12th 04, 11:14 PM
bearman

wrote:

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if my PC has USB-2 or just plain ole

USB.
I'm running Windows2000.

Yes, we can tell you.

Next time when you provide more details, we might too.

Give the guy a break! You don 't need to know anything about his computer
setup to advise him about which USB he has.

Chris,
I don't know about Windows 2000 but in XP Right click on My Computer, select
Properties, then select Hardware, then select Device Manager. Look for USB
controllers and open it by clciking on the + sigh. If anything there says
"Enhanced Host Controller" then you most likely have USB 2.0.

Bearman

Old May 13th 04, 03:17 AM
kony

On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:14:20 -0600, "bearman" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if my PC has USB-2 or just plain ole

USB.
I'm running Windows2000.

Yes, we can tell you.

Next time when you provide more details, we might too.

Give the guy a break! You don 't need to know anything about his computer
setup to advise him about which USB he has.

Actually we could need more details.
Isn't that a basic procedure when asking about ability of specific
hardware, to make mention of that specific hardware?

The operating system would tell us what devices are supported, but
technically not even that, merely what driver files are associated with a
given hardware ID, not which are present, existing features of the system
(if you really wanted to you could get a USB device to show up in Device
Manager as a "bananna split with nuts", though of course WIndows couldn't
use the device if the assignment wasn't nearly correct.

Win95, 98, ME, 2K, and XP did not support USB2 without service packs or
additional drivers. We could make some assumptions about correct drivers
installed, bios settings being enabled, service pack levels, etc, but that
seems a big leap to make without more details, especially when the topic
was in itself a question about USB version.

Perhaps my answer should've been "determine the make and model of
motherboard and look up it's specs on the respective manufacturer's
website". However, since many of us are familiar with popular boards and
chipsets, the odds were pretty good someone would've been able to provide
the USB level support if only they had more details.

Old May 13th 04, 04:16 AM
bearman

"Trent©" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:14:20 -0600, "bearman" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if my PC has USB-2 or just plain ole

USB.
I'm running Windows2000.

Yes, we can tell you.

Next time when you provide more details, we might too.

Give the guy a break! You don 't need to know anything about his

computer
setup to advise him about which USB he has.

Chris,
I don't know about Windows 2000

Then how can you criticize kony?...or even give any ADVICE?

He didn't ask about xp. He asked about w2k.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Was there anythng wrong with my advice?

Bearman

Old May 13th 04, 07:31 AM
Noozer

"bearman" wrote in message

"Trent©" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:14:20 -0600, "bearman" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if my PC has USB-2 or just plain

ole
USB.
I'm running Windows2000.

Yes, we can tell you.

Next time when you provide more details, we might too.

Give the guy a break! You don 't need to know anything about his

computer
setup to advise him about which USB he has.

Chris,
I don't know about Windows 2000

Then how can you criticize kony?...or even give any ADVICE?

He didn't ask about xp. He asked about w2k.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Was there anythng wrong with my advice?

Yah... it was for the wrong OS.

Old May 13th 04, 08:03 AM
Chris Mayers

Thanks for your friendly answer. (not!)
I have a PC running Windows2000, I asked if anyone could tell me how to tell
if it had USB-2.
What further information do you require?

ChrisM. :-)

Old May 13th 04, 08:53 AM
Christiaan van Bladel

Chris Mayers schreef:
Thanks for your friendly answer. (not!)
I have a PC running Windows2000, I asked if anyone could tell me how to tell
if it had USB-2.
What further information do you require?

ChrisM. :-)

Type of motherboard for instance? The OS you use is of secondairy
importance. It is nice when your OS supports it but if you still use a
P2 slot1 board is is completely useless.

Chris
Old May 13th 04, 09:00 AM
Alien Zord

"Chris Mayers" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how I can tell if my PC has USB-2 or just plain ole

USB.
I'm running Windows2000.

Right-click My Computer, click Manage, Device Manager, double-click
Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Post here all the entries in there.

Old May 13th 04, 09:33 AM
ChrisM

Sorry if I was stroppy earlier.

I don't actually have access to the machine in question at the moment.

Will post back here with as many details as possible ASAP.

-From memory it is a 3-4 year old Dell (GX110 - Dimension or Optiplex)
Windows2000 Server (SP3)

Cheers,

ChrisM