Please Help

Old February 28th 04, 06:54 AM
JLC

"Mary" wrote in message
news
JLC:

Do you have any other OpenGL
games? If not DL'ed DroneZmark
http://tinyurl.com/2xbkr it's a OpenGL benchmark program. If it runs

then
you know your drivers are OK. Enjoy your new card Mary! After all this

you
better JLC

I've never heard of tinyurl.com so I thought I just had to click on the
above URL to go to the Open GL benchmark program, but when I clicked on

the
above URL , it didn't go anywhere, so I went to www.tinyurl.com and it

said
to put a tiny URL in the box, so I put 2xbkr and it said something about

it
was copied to my clipboard. I've never had clipboard installed and usually
use Notepad, so I went to notepad and saw a different URL, which I put

into
the address field in Internet explorer 6.0 and it went nowhere. Can you

tell
me what I am doing wrong.

Mary

Mary that link works for me. TinyURL is a site that allows you to shrink
large URL's so that they don't get messed up. Here's the full link:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download136.html FYI there's a guy name Gary that
is posting your question about Alice in the pc,games.action NG. Weird thing
is he's not posting like he's asking for someone else. So I'm wondering do
you also go by Gary? Strange question I know but I was really confused when
I saw your posts over there, but with his name attached. JLC

Old February 28th 04, 06:54 AM
Mary

"JLC" wrote in message

"Mary" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Hi JLC:
You will probably be glad to get rid of me - LOL.
I have that Undying game but I had only started it before when my
motherboard conked out. Other than that, I'm not sure I have any other

Open
GL games.
I think I have a problem with DirectX 9.0. So one thing solved and

another
problem pending.
I was about half way through Alice and took me ages to get that far and

it
ran fine on my ATI Xpert 2000.

You should go to Microsoft and DL DX9. It's always a good idea to

reinstall
DX after a driver change just to be sure all is installed right. Your new
card is a DX9 card. It was made to take advantage of all that DX9 has to
offer. And yes 3DFx are the guys that made the Voodoo cards. You do know
that by just removing a program and it's folder you're not really un
installing it right? There's a lot of info for that game sitting in your
registry, and that is what can cause major problem. Did you install it

into
a different dir? That's why I mentioned it. If you leave all that stuff in
the reg, installing to a new dir will cause the game to write the info to
the reg again. It's hard to explain, but it is important. There's

utilities
that you can get that will clean up your reg, but they're not 100% all the
time. Maybe someelse might have some idea's about what's going on with
"Alice" JLC

I saw your message in the game action NG. I never expected to find you there
too. A friend told me to post a message there since thats a game group and I
didn't want to keep bugging you. Once in a while, I post post under Gary -
long story. So I wasn't sure what I should do, if I should reply to your
message there and confuse everybody else there who have replied to my
message. So I typed a reply on the action NG, then cancelled it, but I think
it was too late - haha. Now you've confused me -LOL.

Mary

Old February 28th 04, 06:58 AM
Mary

"JLC" wrote in message

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Haha - this is funny. I can see why you were confused. I didn't really want
to use Mary for a reason on that NG, so I used Gary. I replied to you over
there and said I was Mary, then I had second thoughts and cancelled the
message. I thought someone there might know why I had a problem with Open
GL.
BTW, are you male? Just wondered.

Mary

Old February 28th 04, 07:06 AM
Mary

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the URL. It took me a little while to find the GL file since
theres a lot of categories there, but I found it and downloaded it. Will run
it shortly.
How does Tiny URL work? When I tried http://tinyurl.com/2xbkr it kept
timing out.
Maybe its just very busy.

Mary

Old February 28th 04, 07:35 AM
Mary

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

I went to MS page and I can never find anything there. I looked for about 15
minutes and gave up for now. There was Direct X 9.0 b which just came out
and I am reluctant to try something that is so new. I was looking for just
the ordinary DX 9.0 but I saw all kinds of stuff like DX 9.0 runtime,
Developers kit, but I couldn't find just DX 9.0 full version. Oh well, I
will look again tomorrow.

Mary

Old February 28th 04, 01:46 PM
patrickp

"Mary" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Mary, I was just looking through this thread - JLC has been giving you
excellent advice, but a couple of points - DX 9.0b is not actually very new;
it's actually over a year old. It's fine to install it except for one
problem: if you're running W2K or XP and have a PAL TV tuner in your
machine - DX 9.0b breaks PAL tuners. There are a couple of fixes available,
and if it worries you, then go with DX 9.0a, which you should be able to
find with a search on MS' technical database. There are some bugs fixed in
DX 9.0b and also a security update, which is available by itself and should
be installed if you do go for DX 9.0a.

Secondly, as far as registry cleaners are concerned, I know MS' one just
runs through your registry and fixes what it thinks is wrong; it doesn't
give you any control; Toni Arts one I don't know. I've always used jv16
Power Tools, which includes a very effective registry editor that shows you
what's on your system and lets you remove (or replace - very good backup)
whatever you want. It's gone commercial now, but a google should still pick
you up a copy of jv16 v 1.2, which is freeware. There's also Driver
Cleaner, which I've never used myself, but a lot of people here seem very
happy with.

Many companies' uninstall routines are quite inadequate - video card drivers
being notorious for this - and leave a lot of stuff on your system that MS'
RegClean (as opposed to jv16 RegCleaner ;-)) won't remove, and, of course,
if you don't ininstall properly (as JLC pointed out) a whole slew of stuff
stays in your registry and can cause severe systemic problems.

There are also specific driver cleaners: ATI, for instance, do their own
cat-uninstaller, which seems very effective, and for NVidia there's
Detonator Destroyer, although I'm not sure whether it's actually produced by
NVidia or how effective it is.

The jv 16 type of registry editor is absolutely invaluable for for good
system maintenance; not just for video drivers, but for following up on all
sorts of inadequate installs, and it's very easy to use and fairly
failsafe - it makes backups of everything you remove in case you find you've
created rather than fixed a problem.

HTH patrickp

Old February 29th 04, 12:41 AM
Mary

"patrickp" - take five to email me wrote in
message ...
"Mary" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
"JLC" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, he is has been very helpful and does have excellent advice.

but a couple of points - DX 9.0b is not actually very new;
it's actually over a year old. It's fine to install it except for one
problem: if you're running W2K or XP and have a PAL TV tuner in your
machine - DX 9.0b breaks PAL tuners. There are a couple of fixes

available,
and if it worries you, then go with DX 9.0a, which you should be able to
find with a search on MS' technical database. There are some bugs fixed

in
DX 9.0b and also a security update, which is available by itself and

should
be installed if you do go for DX 9.0a.

I use Win 98SE and don't use PAL. I am in Region 1 so don't have PAL.
I looked for ages last night for DX 9.0a and when you do a search it comes
up with all kinds of DX9 stuff like Updates, Software Developer Kit,
Runtime, Tuner fix. I even found DX 8.0 which seems to be the entire program
for win 98, but I never found DX 9.0, except for DX 9.0b. But when I think
of it, DX 9.0 is in the drivers I downloaded from ATI for the 9000 Pro card
which I have. So should I reinstall it again.? It will be on top of the DX
9.0 I already have installed, as MS don't let you uninstall any DX's.

Secondly, as far as registry cleaners are concerned, I know MS' one just
runs through your registry and fixes what it thinks is wrong; it doesn't
give you any control; Toni Arts one I don't know. I've always used jv16
Power Tools, which includes a very effective registry editor that shows

you
what's on your system and lets you remove (or replace - very good backup)
whatever you want. It's gone commercial now, but a google should still

pick
you up a copy of jv16 v 1.2, which is freeware. There's also Driver
Cleaner, which I've never used myself, but a lot of people here seem very
happy with.

I'll see if I can find it. Is it called "jv16v 1.2" ? I'll do a search and
see if I can find it. and maybe find driver cleaner as well.

Many companies' uninstall routines are quite inadequate - video card

drivers
being notorious for this - and leave a lot of stuff on your system that

MS'
RegClean (as opposed to jv16 RegCleaner ;-)) won't remove, and, of course,
if you don't ininstall properly (as JLC pointed out) a whole slew of stuff
stays in your registry and can cause severe systemic problems.

It caused me a lot of problems all right with these old drivers.

There are also specific driver cleaners: ATI, for instance, do their own
cat-uninstaller, which seems very effective, and for NVidia there's
Detonator Destroyer, although I'm not sure whether it's actually produced

by
NVidia or how effective it is.

I am not sure that a cleaner is what I need now. I got the ATI drivers
installed, and DX 9.0 was part of the drivers which also installed, but when
I run DX 9, it comes up with two error messages, one is Problem with Direct
3D and other is problem Direct play. Thats why JLP said to reinstall DX 9.0.

The other problem is I can't run a game I was in the middle of before I got
my new motherboard and CPU and video card. Its American McGee's Alice. I
don';t know if you have played it or not. But when I try to run it, it comes
up with error messages about Open GL is not working properly. On ATI site,
it mentions that games that use Quake engine can have a problem with Open GL
if they have an ATI Radeon with dual monitors and says to disable the
Secondary monitor in ATI/display area. It looks like the secondary monitor
is disabled there as it has a big red X through the middle.And in device
manager, Secondary monitor is disabled. I uninstalled Alice game and
reinstalled it by the way and I don't know if you know what this means, but
this is the error message I get every time I try to start the game. I tried
another game which doesn't use Open GL and it seemed to be ok.

Config: config.cfg
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec menu.cfg
couldn't exec config.cfg
couldn't exec localized.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
....detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------
Initializing DirectInput...
Couldn't set DI coop level
Falling back to Win32 mouse support...
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
....initializing QGL
....calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
....setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
....using colorsbits of 16
....calling CDS: ok
....registered window class
....created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
....getting DC: succeeded
....GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
....-1 PFDs found
....GLW_ChoosePFD failed
....GLW_ChoosePFD( 8, 16, 0 )
....-1 PFDs found
....GLW_ChoosePFD failed
....failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
....restoring display settings
....WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
....shutting down QGL
....unloading OpenGL DLL
....assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
....initializing QGL
....WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
....shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

JLC asked me if I ever had a Voodoo video card since it mentions about 3dfx
above, but I never had one. The message definitely means there is a problem
with Open GL, but I am not sure what it means by 3Dfx.
I only hope that these problems are software related and not something wrong
with the card itself. I want to solve the Open GL problem, so I can go back
to my game. JLC gave me a site to go to last night to get an Open GL test,
but I haven't gotten to that yet. Ive been kind of busy today and need a
break from computers.

Mary

Old February 29th 04, 04:12 AM
JLC

Just go and get the ver of DX that's on MS's site. DX9b has been around for
a long time. That disc you have must be old. When it comes to DX, if it gets
messed you have to install what ever MS has at the time. This should fix
your problems. I'm positive that this not a problem with your card. Since
you had to mess around so much to get the card installed it makes since that
you need to get things put back together. As for TinyURL it's just a free
web service. All you have to do is place a shortcut to TinyURL's web site in
your IE's favorites, then when your at a site you want to share all you do
it click the TinyURL link. There web site will automatically make the short
URL so all you have to do is paste it wherever you want to put it. I don't
know why that URL didn't work for you, I even clicked the one that was in
I really don't think your problem with Alice is the game. I'm sure that
once you get DX installed right and when you see that everything is working
when you look at DX diagnose, then "Alice" with run fine.
Anyway let me know if you get this all figured out with your game. JLC

Old February 29th 04, 04:17 AM
Mary

"JLC" wrote in message

"Mary" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
"JLC" wrote in message

but with his name attached. JLC

Haha - this is funny. I can see why you were confused. I didn't really

want
to use Mary for a reason on that NG, so I used Gary. I replied to you

over
there and said I was Mary, then I had second thoughts and cancelled the
message. I thought someone there might know why I had a problem with

Open
GL.
BTW, are you male? Just wondered.

Mary Mary Mary! You really had me going! And yes I'm a 42 years old male.
JLC

Hi JLC -

Well, I felt forced to "come clean" last night when you posted that message
on the action NG so you wouldn't be confused any more, but you "blew my
cover" -hehe. But thats ok. someone over there wrote to me today with
another couple of suggestions. Maybe they were confused too so I didn't put
any signature. Oh well, as long as someone tries to help, it doesn't matter
who the helpee is - I just thought it was kind of funny. And the message
never did get cancelled, so in the other NG they probably think I'm some
troll.

I am still struggling tonight with the same problems. I still get those two
errors from DirectX and I was thinking that I can either install DX 9.0a
again which is what I have installed at the moment.The one error is Direct
3d has a problem and so does Direct play.
Or I can download DX 9.0b and see if that will help. I might try the DX 9.0
uninstaller from majorgeek site you referred me to (for the glsetup file
that I can't get to work).

Maybe Open GL won't work in Alice till I get DirectX to work properly and
right now it isn't. I tried Sandra and wondering if it works ok. It seemed
to say that all the features of my card are not working. Something is
wrong, but what.
And I don't have a 3dfx card. I told a computer friend about that and she
plays a lot of games - mostly adventure games, and she was saying that the
message in Alice referring to 3dfx is probably the game putting in there and
assuming that is what I am using because maybe the game has issues with 3dfx
cards.

By the way, I downloaded that glsetup.com that you gave me in the
tinyurl.com and when I click on it, it says its a beta version use at your
own risk kind of thing and says to go to their web site for the latest
drivers, and when I clicked on the part that said "go to website" or
whatever it says, a blue blank screen comes out - sheesh! what is it with
those corrupted commands and files that don't work.
Patrick on this NG mentioned to me today to get a registry cleaner called
jv16v1.2 which used to be free, but now is not, so I did a search on google
and downloaded a zip file and in the zip file, there is only one .exe file
and I clicked on that, and it said "no languages available" - another dead
end file. So I am not getting anywhere fast.

Do you think there is a chance that there is a problem with the card itself?
or do you think my problems are all software related?

Mary

Old February 29th 04, 04:27 AM
Mary

I just replied to your last message, so I might have covered some things you
mention here.

"JLC" wrote in message
Just go and get the ver of DX that's on MS's site. DX9b has been around

for
a long time. That disc you have must be old.

I didn't get DX 9.0a from the disc. I got it from the latest Catalyst
drivers (4.2) from ATI site which were the ones which you told me are the
best to use and you said to throw the CD in the trash. Well, I didn't throw
it in the trash as I might need it sometime. Before I installed those
Catalyst drivers, I had DX 8.1 installed, but when I installed the Catalyst
drivers, DX 9.0a was on them so I just installed it at the same time.
Version 9.0a which is part of the Catalyst drivers is not that old. The CD
probably had the same version..

When it comes to DX, if it gets
messed you have to install what ever MS has at the time. This should fix
your problems.

Not sure what you mean by "you have to install whatever MS has at the time."

I'm positive that this not a problem with your card.

Well, I hope you're right.

Since
you had to mess around so much to get the card installed it makes since

that
you need to get things put back together.

Yes, when things get in a mess like that and files overwriting files and it
gets so mixed up, you have to start fresh.

As for TinyURL it's just a free
web service. All you have to do is place a shortcut to TinyURL's web site

in
your IE's favorites, then when your at a site you want to share all you do
it click the TinyURL link. There web site will automatically make the

short
URL so all you have to do is paste it wherever you want to put it. I don't
know why that URL didn't work for you, I even clicked the one that was in

I did get the file that you were telling me to get there - the glsetup.exe
file and its the one I can't get going. I just finished clicking on
glsetup.com and it says to go to the website to check for any new drivers,
and it timed out. maybe its just too busy tonight.

I really don't think your problem with Alice is the game. I'm sure that
once you get DX installed right and when you see that everything is

working
when you look at DX diagnose, then "Alice" with run fine.
Anyway let me know if you get this all figured out with your game. JLC

I'm going to download DX 9.0b right now and see if that helps. I will let
you know.

Mary