Trying to get Google to see my Webpage

Old January 31st 04, 09:30 PM
Kwaj

Default Trying to get Google to see my Webpage

I have a webpage on my university server, which holds information about me
and my conference papers etc (I am a doctorate student). I have tried to get
the webpage to turn up on Google but with little success yet. I have tried
the following,

1) manually submit the url to Google
2) Set up an alternate webpage on Geocities and have my name with multiple
links to the website, with the hope that if google picked that up...it would
also pick up the links to my website.

Neither have worked, any suggestions?

- Kingsley

Old February 1st 04, 03:44 PM
Cerridwen

Kwaj wrote:
I have a webpage on my university server, which holds information
about me and my conference papers etc (I am a doctorate student). I
have tried to get the webpage to turn up on Google but with little
success yet. I have tried the following,

1) manually submit the url to Google
2) Set up an alternate webpage on Geocities and have my name with
multiple links to the website, with the hope that if google picked
that up...it would also pick up the links to my website.

Neither have worked, any suggestions?

- Kingsley

I don't mean to be rude, but this is a hardware group - I fail to see what
this has to do with any aspect of computer hardware. Please repost in a more
appropriate place.

Thank you

Old February 1st 04, 06:27 PM
Stacey

Kwaj wrote:

I have a webpage on my university server, which holds information about me
and my conference papers etc (I am a doctorate student). I have tried to
get the webpage to turn up on Google but with little success yet. I have
tried the following,

1) manually submit the url to Google
2) Set up an alternate webpage on Geocities and have my name with multiple
links to the website, with the hope that if google picked that up...it
would also pick up the links to my website.

Neither have worked, any suggestions?

Patience? It sometimes takes quite a while for them to pick up new pages and
if there is a lot of pages on the subject, your's will be the last on the
list when they do add it.. I'd submit it to other search engines as well,
seems to help.
--

Stacey
Old February 3rd 04, 04:48 AM
DaveinOlyWa

i submitted to google and it took 3 weeks before i showed up so just
hang in there.

doesnt your site track visitors? if it does you should have an entry
for them after only a few days after your submission. but after the
visit. plan on at least a couple of weeks.

Old February 6th 04, 05:22 AM
Cyde Weys

Kwaj wrote:

I have a webpage on my university server, which holds information about me
and my conference papers etc (I am a doctorate student). I have tried to get
the webpage to turn up on Google but with little success yet. I have tried
the following,

1) manually submit the url to Google
2) Set up an alternate webpage on Geocities and have my name with multiple
links to the website, with the hope that if google picked that up...it would
also pick up the links to my website.

Neither have worked, any suggestions?

You need to upgrade the NIC in your computer from Personal Network
Edition to Corporate Access Edition. You see, when you upload files to
your webpage, they have to pass through your NIC, which tags the files
depending on the quality of the NIC. The NIC manufacturers have a
cartel going, so that if you want websites to be visited a lot, you have
to pay a surcharge to get a Priority flag set on your outgoing packets.

Alternatively, you may want to try connecting the jumpers on your hard
drive to the contacts in an empty slot for RAM. This will speed up the
pathway from hard drive to memory, making your website quicker to load,
and the quicker it is to load, the higher Google biases it in the
ratings, because Google satisfies customers by giving them good & quick
links, not chunky slow ones where the data has to travel through a
pathetic IDE cable to the motherboard.

If all else fails, and you still don't have a good Google ranking,
you'll need to get another PC. Some PCs just aren't good at web
publishing; nobody knows why. With luck, your next PC should be able to
get you a lot more hits.

Old February 6th 04, 06:59 AM
Noozer

"Cyde Weys" wrote in message
Kwaj wrote:

[...]

snip

Definately all sounds like good advice, considering that this IS a hardware
group!