Difference between Dual channel and Non-Dual channel?

Old January 5th 04, 04:36 AM
Chris Stolworthy

Default Difference between Dual channel and Non-Dual channel?

Ok I was wondering what the difference is between RAM that is labeled DUal
channel DDR, versous "normal" DDR? I am wondering because I ahve dual and
am running it that way, but it works as single units as well. So is this
"dual" Ram a hype or what?

Old January 5th 04, 10:10 PM

Intel site has info on that. My mobo ( Intel D865PERL) has dual
channel DDR memory banks. My understanding is that will "run" twice as
fast, increasing a FSB of 400 Mhz to 800 MHz.

Old January 6th 04, 12:03 AM
DaveW

Dual channel rated RAM sticks are IDENTICAL sticks that have precisely the
same electrical properties and timings. That's why they cost more.

--
DaveW

Old January 6th 04, 12:28 AM
kony

wrote:

Ok I was wondering what the difference is between RAM that is labeled DUal
channel DDR, versous "normal" DDR? I am wondering because I ahve dual and
am running it that way, but it works as single units as well. So is this
"dual" Ram a hype or what?

"Supposedly" that means the memory is tested to work in dual channel
mode, with ??????? motherboard. It "should" mean you get a pair of
identical modules, but that isn't necessary for proper operation, so
to a certain extent it's a marketing gimmick.

It is not necessary to buy memory labeled as dual-channel, and it
shouldn't cost more than equivalent memory without that label, as
there isn't any real difference so far as operation of the memory.
Best to buy memory validated by the motherboard manufacturer or visit
some website forums and see what fellow users of your board are having
good results with.
Old January 6th 04, 09:41 AM
jamotto

"Chris Stolworthy" wrote in message ...
Ok I was wondering what the difference is between RAM that is labeled DUal
channel DDR, versous "normal" DDR? I am wondering because I ahve dual and
am running it that way, but it works as single units as well. So is this
"dual" Ram a hype or what?

The dual channel feature requires two identical RAM modules that
allows the motherboard to access two banks of RAM at the same time via
two memory "data paths" instead of just the usual single "data Path"
from the memory controller to the memory.

hope this helps