KVM switching between dual monitor systems?

Old October 30th 03, 08:04 PM
J.Clarke

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:02:53 -0600
Mark Bray wrote:

Greetings,

I'm in the process of purchasing a set of computers for a research
lab, and I have a question.

We are planning to accquire three computers from Dell, all with
dual-monitor capability. We would like a KVM switch that will allow us
to use a single dual-monitor setup between all three systems. I have
seen switches for single monitor systems, but I'm not sure I've seen
any for dual-monitor systems (thoughI'm sure they exist). What sort of
considerations would I need to take into account? VGA/DVI
compatabilty? Others? Recommendations?

But wait, there's more...

The head of the lab would also like the ability to switch to using a
single monitor for each machine as well (I'm not sure why but that's
what he wants. Redundancy, perhaps?). So what wants is the following,
for three monitors and three computers:
(1) Monitors 1+2 (dual system) to switch between CPUs 1, 2, and 3
(monitor 3 not in use)
(2) Monitor 1 to CPU 1, monitor 2 to CPU 2, monitor 3 to CPU 3.

What is the simpliest way that this setup could work?

Simplest way is to just use 2 KVM switches, put the first video output
from each machine, the keyboard, and the mouse on one, and just the
second video output on the other. Then if you want both monitors on the
same machine pick the same machine on both, if you want one monitor on
one machine and the other on another, then select them that way.

TIA,
-Mark

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old October 30th 03, 10:02 PM
Mark Bray

Default KVM switching between dual monitor systems?

[...]

Mushkin Level II Dual Pack Testing Troubles Rick General 5 October 19th 03 08:36 PM
Mushkin PC3200 1Gb Dual Packs from Fry's DW General 3 September 24th 03 10:37 AM
dual video, xp, and software paranoid General 1 August 26th 03 04:43 AM
Dual Boot, How? Paul \(Erie\) General 1 June 24th 03 04:36 PM
Opinions on 120GB HDD, DVD writer and dual p3 motherboard Alien Zord General 0 June 23rd 03 08:50 AM