Software compatability WIN 98 and WIN 98SE

Old October 14th 03, 07:41 PM

Default Software compatability WIN 98 and WIN 98SE

Was wondering what anyone's experience was regarding using windows 98
software drivers between WIN 98 and WIN 98SE. I have a Proxim Symphony
wireless laptop PC card that I want to install using the WIN 95/98 install
software on a laptop running WIN 98SE. The software for the PC card that
encompasses WIN98, WIN98SE, WIN2000, WINXP is not compatible with the older
software on the desktop PC which is the "Maestro" as they call it, of the
wireless network.

Bottom line question: Is a piece of software written for WIN 98 usually OK
with WIN 98SE?

THanks for any insight.

Old October 14th 03, 08:06 PM
Shep©

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:41:42 -0400, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "T" wrote :

Was wondering what anyone's experience was regarding using windows 98
software drivers between WIN 98 and WIN 98SE. I have a Proxim Symphony
wireless laptop PC card that I want to install using the WIN 95/98 install
software on a laptop running WIN 98SE. The software for the PC card that
encompasses WIN98, WIN98SE, WIN2000, WINXP is not compatible with the older
software on the desktop PC which is the "Maestro" as they call it, of the
wireless network.

Bottom line question: Is a piece of software written for WIN 98 usually OK
with WIN 98SE?

THanks for any insight.

I would say yes as I've got loads of older software and it even runs
in XP.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email

Old October 14th 03, 09:14 PM

Thanks guys...let me just clarify so I'm not missing anything.

If you had, say, a video card or Network card with install software and WIN
98 drivers, that software, with those drivers, would work in WIN98SE OK
without having to have specific WIN98SE drivers?

Old October 14th 03, 09:36 PM
MrToad

"T" Ran in the back door and shouted
:

Thanks guys...let me just clarify so I'm not missing anything.

If you had, say, a video card or Network card with install software
and WIN
98 drivers, that software, with those drivers, would work in WIN98SE
OK without having to have specific WIN98SE drivers?

A third "Yes"

Win9x drivers are more forgiving than say, WinNT4 is of WinXP.
You'll be fine.

--
MrToad
Old October 14th 03, 09:44 PM
Mikey

I can't guarantee 100% it will work, but in my experience it most likely
will.

--

Mikey
http://www.mike721.com

.. .

Old October 14th 03, 09:49 PM
Shep©

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:36:28 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs MrToad nospam@nospam wrote :

"T" Ran in the back door and shouted
m:

Thanks guys...let me just clarify so I'm not missing anything.

If you had, say, a video card or Network card with install software
and WIN
98 drivers, that software, with those drivers, would work in WIN98SE
OK without having to have specific WIN98SE drivers?

A third "Yes"

Win9x drivers are more forgiving than say, WinNT4 is of WinXP.
You'll be fine.

With the Caveat that some hardware does need Specific Win98SE drivers
but only the user can tell if Win98 drivers still works with
hardware.Hardware makers usually,"Cover-their-A**" by saying Win98SE
or later.
Unfortunately like it or not hardware makers will stop supporting
WinX/ME at some point :/
This is one of the advantages of,"Open Source" code like ,"Linux".
Knowing,"Bill's" nature I highly doubt Microsoft will survive
should he retire or die so we can then look forward to other
alternatives?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email