GeForce 7800 GS

Old March 28th 06, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default GeForce 7800 GS

I have an ASUS P4G8X motherboard with an Intel P4 3.06 GHz processor,
1 GB of Mushkin PC2100 memory and a GeForce 4 5600 256 MB video card.
I want to squeeze a little more life from this system before returning
to the bleeding edge. My immediate problem is that the video card
will not handle The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and I am contemplating the
installation of an XFX GeForce 7800 GS card to resolve the problem.

Will this system handle the new video card and, if so, are there
issues that I might need to address?

TIA.
Old March 28th 06, 10:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"Paladin" wrote in message
I have an ASUS P4G8X motherboard with an Intel P4 3.06 GHz processor,
1 GB of Mushkin PC2100 memory and a GeForce 4 5600 256 MB video card.
I want to squeeze a little more life from this system before returning
to the bleeding edge. My immediate problem is that the video card
will not handle The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and I am contemplating the
installation of an XFX GeForce 7800 GS card to resolve the problem.

Will this system handle the new video card and, if so, are there
issues that I might need to address?

TIA.

Here are the minimum requirements found on one web site. Depending on where
you look, it may vary.
a.. Pentium 4/Celeron, AMD k6/Athlon
b.. 256MB of system memory at least
c.. Installation software requires CD-ROM driver
d.. DVD playback requires DVD Drive
e.. Windows XP/2000
f.. A minimum 400 Watt system power supply (with 12v current rating of
26A)
g.. An AGP supplementary power connector

Old March 29th 06, 03:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Paul:

Thanks for the quick reply. The system sits in an Antec Sonata black
case which has, natively, an Antec Tru-Power 380 W PS. I THINK, based
on your analysis, that the 7800GS should fare well. If need be, I
could swap this PS with an Antec Tru-Power 550 W PS that I have in a
system in the office, but I hate to compromise the phenomenally quite
performance of the Sonata to do so unless absolutely necessary.

I will report back on my success, or lack thereof, in this
undertaking. This video card may add new life to otherwise
long-in-the-tooth systems!

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:45:35 GMT, (Paul) wrote:

In article i5iWf.8689$9h5.84@dukeread09, "Guardian"
wrote:

"Paladin" wrote in message
[...]

The 3.06G processor is 82W. Vcore conversion efficiency of 90% makes
an estimate of the current on the 12V 2x2 feed to the processor
of (82/12)*(1/0.90) = 7.6A

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scr...sp?sSpec=SL6PG

The video card is probably similar to a 7800GT for power
consumption, so that would be about 60W. 60W/12V = 5A or so.

So far we are at 12.6A, and throw in another 2.5A for sundries
brings the total to 15.1A on the +12V supply. With an ATX 2.0+
supply (with 12V1/12V2 outputs), that would be 7.6A on one output
and 7.5A on the other, so a pretty small supply could meet that.
If the power supply was a pre ATX 2.0+ with single 12V output,
then I'd maybe want a bit more current than the 15.1A for
margin, like if maybe you have a few more disks. I might round
up to the 18A to 20A range on +12V.

In this case, I don't see the estimate on the +12V getting to
26A. Still a bit far from that. Depending on the brand of
supply, a 350W to 400W might handle it. Finding a supply with
a 26A output would put you quite a bit further up the power
curve. Supplies can vary greatly in terms of power and output,
and a few years back there was a 500W Powmax with only 12V@10A,
which wouldn't have powered any P4 systems :-) What counts
is putting the amps where they are needed.

This web page has some pictures of the 7800GS, and it looks
to be a fairly long card. It has a Molex on the end, and the
power cable shouldn't have other loads on it. That way,
the card gets a nice clean 5A through a disk drive cable.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1...s/index.x?pg=1

Paul

Old March 31st 06, 07:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Paladin schrieb:
I have an ASUS P4G8X motherboard with an Intel P4 3.06 GHz processor,
1 GB of Mushkin PC2100 memory and a GeForce 4 5600 256 MB video card.
I want to squeeze a little more life from this system before returning
to the bleeding edge. My immediate problem is that the video card
will not handle The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and I am contemplating the
installation of an XFX GeForce 7800 GS card to resolve the problem.

Will this system handle the new video card and, if so, are there
issues that I might need to address?

TIA.

I´m using a p4c800 dlx with a 3.05 HT Intel cpu, the xfx 7800 GS and
have had big problems with my pci TV card. The problems where related to
the 3.3 V comming from my former 300 W PSU. After changing the PSU to a
450 W all the problems are come. Maybe because the power consumption of
this system was to high for the 300 W PSU or the PSU was broken.

Nevertheless the new systems works well even when overclocking the vid
card a lot.

I just want to say that often BSOD or misfunction of systems are related
to faulty or wrong PSU´s.