A7N8X-E memory question

Old July 27th 04, 05:14 AM
Steve D

Default A7N8X-E memory question

Ok here is the situation.
I have the above mentioned MoBo. I have been running a matched pair of
patriot ddr 3200 CL2 400mhz for a total of 512 (slot 1 and 3). I run this
at a 1:1 ratio with my AMD xp 3000 (333mhz). Everything looks fine.....now
in this day and age 512 isn't enough so i got another 512 stick. Now here
is the wierd thing. althought the ram is ddr 2700 cl 2.5, my mobo sees it
as cl3 and i can not change it. I am running the latest bios ver 1010.....
What gives....i have tied a different brand of memory also 2700 cl 2.5 and
no change. How can i get the best bang for my buck with this config.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old July 27th 04, 07:54 AM

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:14:16 -0700, "Steve D"
wrote:

Ok here is the situation.
I have the above mentioned MoBo. I have been running a matched pair of
patriot ddr 3200 CL2 400mhz for a total of 512 (slot 1 and 3). I run this
at a 1:1 ratio with my AMD xp 3000 (333mhz). Everything looks fine.....now
in this day and age 512 isn't enough so i got another 512 stick. Now here
is the wierd thing. althought the ram is ddr 2700 cl 2.5, my mobo sees it
as cl3 and i can not change it. I am running the latest bios ver 1010.....
What gives....i have tied a different brand of memory also 2700 cl 2.5 and
no change. How can i get the best bang for my buck with this config.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Ask for Ben Pope : http://www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html

BoroLad
Old July 27th 04, 08:58 AM
Ben Pope

Steve D wrote:
Ok here is the situation.
I have the above mentioned MoBo. I have been running a matched pair of
patriot ddr 3200 CL2 400mhz for a total of 512 (slot 1 and 3). I run this
at a 1:1 ratio with my AMD xp 3000 (333mhz). Everything looks
fine.....now in this day and age 512 isn't enough so i got another 512
stick. Now here is the wierd thing. althought the ram is ddr 2700 cl
2.5, my mobo sees it as cl3 and i can not change it. I am running the
latest bios ver 1010..... What gives....i have tied a different brand of
memory also 2700 cl 2.5 and no change. How can i get the best bang for
my buck with this config. Thanks in advance,
Steve

Why can't you change it?

If the timings are greyed you need to change "Memory Timing" under "Chipset
Configuration" to "User Defined" and tweak to your hearts content.

Might as well set "Memory Frequency" to "100%" too. Just so that you know
whats going on (Assuming FSB is 166MHz)

Ben

Old July 27th 04, 09:27 AM
Ken Maltby

news
wrote:

[...]

Let me see you have an XP 3000 (333) and CL2 DDR 3200 and
you are not overclocking? What a waste.

Why didn't you get a 512M DDR 3200 instead of the DDR 2700?

Didn't the non-deluxe get a 1011 BIOS ?

Try setting your "Memory Timings" to "User Defined", you may have
to select it with the "+" or "-" keys on your numeric keypad. Then set
the memory timing items to a compromise between your two types of
memory sticks. That's how I got 2ea 256M in the two "A Slots" and
a 512M in the "B" slot to work as 1G running in dual channel mode.
(That was only after flashing to the 1011 BIOS on my A7N8X-E Dlx.)

Luck;
Ken

Old July 27th 04, 07:53 PM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Steve D wrote:
[...]

Right Ben.

Something else to say here, 100% is the best setting, if you go over
or under things get funny.

Hm, there was no real need to cross post.
But yeah well, I'm not really one to cut anyone down
unless it's "A lot of people know who"

Ben

I hope all our kind words on this helps you.

Denny. :-)

Old July 28th 04, 01:13 AM
Steve D

Thanks for the sugestions but..... even with the settings all set to user
defined, i can not adjust timings. I think this is a bios 1010
thing....should i downgrade?
Steve

Old July 28th 04, 02:47 AM
Ken Maltby

"Steve D" wrote in message
Ok here is the situation.
I have the above mentioned MoBo. I have been running a matched pair of
patriot ddr 3200 CL2 400mhz for a total of 512 (slot 1 and 3). I run

this
at a 1:1 ratio with my AMD xp 3000 (333mhz). Everything looks

fine.....now
in this day and age 512 isn't enough so i got another 512 stick. Now

here
is the wierd thing. althought the ram is ddr 2700 cl 2.5, my mobo sees

it
as cl3 and i can not change it. I am running the latest bios ver

1010.....
What gives....i have tied a different brand of memory also 2700 cl 2.5

and
no change. How can i get the best bang for my buck with this config.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

The latest BIOS is 1011 and in fact it allowed me to run
memory that would not work before I switched to it. It
lets me set all the memory settings.
/Ken

Old July 29th 04, 05:57 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
m...

"Steve D" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know "Steve" I can set mine, and I just have the "A7N8X" no e or
anything else.
I would have to say, there's something your forgetting to set.
I really cant think of anything else.
Denny. :-)

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 11:49 PM
Question about SDR memory vs DDR memory Andy in NJ General 13 July 9th 04 09:29 AM
Memory Question Dan Rather General 6 December 7th 03 06:46 AM
Memory Question - outcome of exceeding the memory limits of a machine. John B. General 4 November 4th 03 01:25 PM
question about virtual memory takashi General 2 August 18th 03 12:37 PM