Raid 10 - controller card recommendations? and where to buy?

Old January 30th 04, 12:22 PM
Alien Zord

Default Raid 10 - controller card recommendations? and where to buy?

"Brian" wrote in message
I'm planning on a raid card to my system. I use my computer for work
so I'm looking for fault tolerance and (like most everyone) I'd enjoy
better performance too.

To this end, I've settled on level 10 raid (better fault tolerance
than 0+1 and better performance than raid 5 -- as I understand).

My current motherboard has only pci slots (none of the newer pci-x) so
that may limit me. I don't want the expense of SCSI but am willing to
do 4 ata/sata hard drives.

Ideas for the card to use? I've read old reviews about the 3ware
escalade 7850 being a good one for ata raid (and offering level10) but
where to get it. Are there better ata raid cards without moving into
sata? If I get sata can I/should I do it without the pci-x slot?

I'm lacking any experts in the local computer stores.

3Ware have the PATA/SATA RAID5 / 10 market pretty much to themselves.
Correspondingly prices are high. In UK the 4 port card would be around
220UKP, 8 port 350UKP etc. Ideal Hardware is the distributor so most
computer retailers should be able to order from them.

Old January 31st 04, 12:55 AM
DaveW

As far as I know RAID 10 is only offered in SCSI configurations currently.

--
DaveW

"Brian" wrote in message
I'm planning on a raid card to my system. I use my computer for work
so I'm looking for fault tolerance and (like most everyone) I'd enjoy
better performance too.

To this end, I've settled on level 10 raid (better fault tolerance
than 0+1 and better performance than raid 5 -- as I understand).

My current motherboard has only pci slots (none of the newer pci-x) so
that may limit me. I don't want the expense of SCSI but am willing to
do 4 ata/sata hard drives.

Ideas for the card to use? I've read old reviews about the 3ware
escalade 7850 being a good one for ata raid (and offering level10) but
where to get it. Are there better ata raid cards without moving into
sata? If I get sata can I/should I do it without the pci-x slot?

I'm lacking any experts in the local computer stores.

Many thanks
-
Brian

PCI RAID controller? @drian General 4 November 10th 03 12:30 AM
Incompatible RAID controller? @drian General 1 November 9th 03 08:38 PM
Adding ATA 133 Controller Card Michael L. Coleman General 4 September 21st 03 07:20 AM
help. ga-7vrxp raid trouble, compatability and warning todd elliott General 0 July 17th 03 06:50 PM
Install Problems with an Adaptec 2400a RAID Controller! Starz_Kid General 1 June 24th 03 03:44 AM