ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

Old August 15th 05, 05:33 PM
quisoc

First, I'm sorry for my english.
I'm trying the beta firmware.
I've benn trying other firmwares, and the only that permited working
fine was the 04-0317.
My HD comes with NETHD05-0607, and I have the problem of the
"desconection" from the net.
First I tried 04-0317 and it's work ok. Then, I'd tried SNAS05-0607
and I had the error again. I wanted to install other firmware, and
when I tried it I received a error message. I had to return to
factory configuration BUT the NAS firmware still here, only changed
the IP and the Administrator login and pass.
Finally I installed the beta fw and for now it's all ok.

Old August 15th 05, 05:33 PM
quisoc

OH!! Beta fw worked fine UNTIL now. I received again the same message
error. I flashed the 04-... fw, and ofr now it's all ok.
I'm from Catalonia, in Europe. There is a possibility that the devices
aren't equal in USA than in Europe?

Old August 16th 05, 12:32 AM
winux

I just looked at a review on Tom's Networking on the Iomega NAS 200d,
and it charted some comparisons on write speed amongst several other
NAS units. I noticed the Tritton unit (same as Argosy) comes in
third--and the Iomega and the second place charter (Synopsis, or
something like that--Canadian and Euro only, it seems), barely beat
out the Tritton/Argosy. I would like to say I thought a previous
review from Tom's shot down the performance on the unit, but it looks
like they re-tested. I am now very happy I got the cheapest and
fastest unit.

I can't wait until they make it faster, if possible!

Oh, I looked at their read chart, and they are pretty low still, but I
think write perfomance is more important--I am BACKING up files and
STORING files, and reading them is not a big thing for me all the
time.

Old August 17th 05, 03:31 AM
jliss

:evil:

The product is immature. I've been debugging it for months and
unfortunately I purchased it from an technically challenged and
obnoxious ebay supplier. I flashed the beta firmware and noted that I
needed to format the disk for it to be used. But of course formatting
is not really formatting, perhaps just an initialization of the FAT ?
The firmware corrupts outlook pst files and times out after copying
many small files and before it times out the copies get real slow.
But more good news, the end user documentation leaves a lot to be
desired. I'd like to know what the telnet commands do and where they
were programmed (somewhere in China ? using what standards). I have a
linksys 54G network, about 5 active PC's and the drive is connected
directly to the router. Stay away from this product.

Old August 17th 05, 08:32 PM
ukcobra

Using the latest firmware my device appears to behave itself, with a
250GB Maxtor 16M drive.

Using Beyond Compare does improve things, although I'd still like to
see what other softare people use successfully.

I have no timeouts copying files, or noticed any corruption.

Old August 17th 05, 10:32 PM
quisoc

And what's firmware you use?

Old August 19th 05, 05:32 AM
mrmagoo

Hi,

I`ve been following the comments here and was wondering how users are
finding the quality of the BETA firmware? Any issues worth noting?

I`m in the market for a low cost NAS box so that I can use it to
automatically backup my Win2K box which itself is being used to
backup my other PC`s on my home network. Because what I`m backing up
is so important, I would like to build in redundant backups with this
HD363N being one of two backup services.

Old August 20th 05, 06:32 AM
stefflow

I was almost ready to throw in the towel on my HD363N+300GB Seagate
since connecting clients via 802.11g wireless is my only option.
Stock firmware, 04-0317 and 05-0607 versions all caused mid copy
stalls.

fixuser's beta firmware has stabilized
things so I'm writing a 3 GB video file now without a problem. Write
performance could be better. How are others measuring throughput?

Thanks for the firmware, [b:3e6d34fff6]fixuser [/b:3e6d34fff6].

Connected via Linksys WRT54G running Sveasoft Talisman 1.05.

Old August 20th 05, 04:33 PM
ukcobra

I am using NetHDD005-0607 firmware.

Old August 24th 05, 07:32 PM
winux

I just tried the beta firmware and all my wireless woes went away!