Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda need testing/connection/communicationservice to diagnose it ???)

Old October 15th 18, 01:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda needtesting/connection/communication service to diagnose it ???)

Why do these subnets even exists ?

Why can't the internet function with one gigant routing table ?

Tech don't exist for it ? No automatic join/leave/acquire ip address/etc.

Subnets are needed cause routers are stupid and can't figure out where traffic should go ?

Routing table must be constructed manually with manually created subnets ?

Weird bro.

Bye,
Skybuck
Old October 15th 18, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Ok I called ziggo a couple of times to try and get to the bottom of this.

At least the television section of ziggo was usefull, they will send a network engineer to try and diagnose the problem when it comes to noisy signal.

The internet section/service/support of ziggo was a bit less helpfull, but they try.

Questions asked by me:

1. Is a custom modem allowed, can I buy a custom mode:

Answer: no not allowed, it is "allowed" to have old cable modem

2. Is a screenshot from their settings on their end possible to be send to me ?

Answer: no not allowed.

3. Are they willing to perform some tests with me, with my own software, to test if the cable modem and internet is working properly, port-wise and such.

Answer: I'll ask, and eventually no not allowed, to much risk to their systems.

I did suggest installing a virtual machine, they girl on the phone thought that was neat.

Later I guess a superior/supervisor guy came on the phone claiming to be a programmer himself, futher questions asked to these people and girls and such:

4. Does ziggo have a testing facility where they test all of their combinations and such ?

Girl wasn't entirely sure, but yes such a division exists but nameless or she didn't know.

5. Later I asked the guy do they test combinations of new gear with old gear.
Old October 16th 18, 04:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 04:48:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

No, no hairpinning allowed. If you try to scan a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x
network without actually being on the proper network yourself, your scan
requests will go out to your default gateway where it will simply be
dropped.

When "net route add" is used is it forever or is the setting lost on next boot ?

I don't know because I use "route add -p arguments"

If you use the -p switch when you add a route, it becomes "persistent"
and survives reboots. Otherwise, reboot and it's gone.

***
C:\Windows\System32route /?

Manipulates network routing tables.
-p When used with the ADD command, makes a route persistent
across boots of the system. By default, routes are not
preserved when the system is restarted. Ignored for all
other commands, which always affect the appropriate
persistent routes. This option is not supported in Windows
95.
***

What I think might be happening concerning this scanning of 10.x.x.x

10.x.x.x is one big subnet.

The modem's ip is within 10.x.x.x range.

I mentioned this before, but the modem has two administrative IPs, one
for the WAN side (traffic arriving over the coax) and one for the LAN
side (traffic arriving over the Ethernet interface). The WAN side might
indeed have a 10.x.x.x address, or some other address in some other
subnet, but unless your ISP is a total joke you won't have access to the
WAN side of the modem so it doesn't matter what addressing scheme they
use. You *should* have access to the LAN side of the modem, though.

So it seems to make perfect sense to be able to query other modems and itself even on this subnet.

Only if your ISP allows it, which they'd have to be completely
incompetent to do.

Though maybe setting my PC to IP 10.x.x.x could be a nice track to communicate with this modem ?

Though perhaps 10.x.x.x is only allowed/recognized if it comes over coax... not sure about that.

Well, I did mention it the other day, and again above...

Old October 16th 18, 04:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 15:33:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Performed network scan of a certain range did find some ips but probably not my modem.

I am now pretty sure the cable modem is located on 192.168.1.1.

I can ping it, but when attempting
http://192.168.1.1

It says connection was reset.

Perhaps I configured the modem in such a way that only a certain source IP is accepted, but I already did a factor reset.

Maybe have to reset it a couple of times, but I don't think that is going to work.

Any ideas ?

Ever seen a modem say: "connection was reset" ???

MAC filtering? The 15-second factory reset should clear that setting,
though.

Old October 16th 18, 04:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 15:46:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I was able to see the status screen for a few seconds/on first load of website 192.168.1.1

How I did it was as follows:

1. Read this manual:

https://modemly.com/Ubee-EWV3200-router-setup

It says to reset for 15 seconds !

I did this... after 15 seconds the lights started blinking.

Then as soon as it starts downloading from ISP, I can no longer go into menu which is very strange.

Maybe this is why coax cable was loose during my other experiments in the passed.

I will now fully disconnect coax cable and repeat reset experiment to see if I can get into this menu.

It was a status screen though looks like this:

Docsis
Firmware
Status

Basic
Docsis
This page displays the docsis information.
Startup Procedure
Aquired Downstream Status In progress
Upstream Ranging Status
Docsis DHCP Status
Docsis TFTP Status
Docsis TOD Status
Security Status Disabled / BPI+

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Frequency Power SNR
1 Not Locked unknown 329000000 Hz -6.9 dBmV 22.9 dBmV
2 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
3 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
4 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
5 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
6 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
7 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
8 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV

Correctables Uncorrectables
0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
2 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
3 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
4 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Downstream Frequency Select (in KHz)

©2009 Ubee Broadband Corporation. All rights reserved.

Perhaps corruption has something to do with it.

Or some setting is getting downloaded which locks it out.

Also I will need prove that downloading settings is protected by crc32s and such otherwise corruption remains plausible.

Not sure why corruption is always at the top of the list since it's
extremely unlikely to be a factor in a modem that otherwise works.

Old October 16th 18, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 16:09:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I finally managed to get into this ubee cable modem, by disconnecting white/coax cable, this is what I managed to captu

(XXXXX = blacked out by me)

Basis information:

http://192.168.1.1/

Firmware
Hardware Version 2.54
Software Version 4.111.5004
Cable Modem Serial Number EVM320BXXXXXX
CM certificate Installed

Basic
Status
System Up Time 0 days 00h:03m:18s
Network Access Denied
Cable Modem MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
CPE MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Use this link to get to advanced section:

http://192.168.1.1/AdvDhcp.asp

Authentication required:

"http://192.168.1.1 is requesting your username and password. The site says: “AMBIT”"

username: admin
password: password

Valid links:

http://192.168.1.1/BasicCmState.asp
http://192.168.1.1/BasicFirmware.asp
http://192.168.1.1/BasicStatus.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvMta.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvLine.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvDhcp.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvQos.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvProvisioning.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvEventLog.asp

This is what I managed to capture after the modem was connected to COAX:

I am starting to believe my hyptohesis of COAX line corruption is correct:

The log shows a warning:

"DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC."

Seems like the response is corrupted ?!?!?

Event Log
This page displays the Event Log on the current system.
CM Event Log
Date/Time Event Level Event ID Description
Time Not Established Warning (5) D3.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC...
Time Not Established Critical (3) R2.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=0c:60:76:49...
Time Not Established Critical (3) T1.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...
Time Not Established Critical (3) T2.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...

MTA Event Log
Date/Time Event Level Event ID Description
Endpoint

Show me a cable modem that doesn't have plenty of similar errors and
warnings. By design, they retry any failed steps. In the log entries
above, I'd say the CMTS is slow to respond. If the modem eventually
syncs up, you can ignore the preliminary errors.

Old October 17th 18, 05:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Today I performed some more tests, from wi-fi hotspot to somewhere else/cable modem.

From these test I learned that windows security center and windows firewall must be running (with that the services I mean)

If windows firewall is off (with this I mean the windows firewall is stopped) then inbound connections udp and tcp apperently don't work.

Why this is I will have too look into, perhaps this is some windows security feature or architectural thing.

So far everything is working as normal, which is good news.

(At least when marvel adapter is used).

(Also better test programs where used (reminder for myself both 2.97) )

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 21st 18, 03:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Ziggo network engineer has replaced tv cable, noise is now gone.

Shaky image on one tv channel remains but this is a problem somewhere else.

Have not yet tested getting into cable modem or testing speed.

Speed is something like 90 Megabits down, 10 Megabits up or something.

But I take this with a grain of salt, might be a bit higher than previously though

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 21st 18, 03:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Oh it was 20 megabits up, and ping time 24 ms.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 21st 18, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Oh I forgot to mention... he didn't just replace tv cable...

He also replaced the wall socket... with something new.

The one in there was very old.

He also shortened the green cable a little bit and re-attached it.

He had a nice trick though:

Instead of connecting the coax to the splitter.

He connected to coax directly to the tv.

This also got rid of the noise ! which amazed me !

Exact problem remains unknown to some degree... we talked too much about other computer tech.

Didn't get to talking about him about cable modem menu issue...

Not sure if he could have helped probably not... but could have tried.

Maybe his excited chat about tech was a diversion tactic... not sure

It was a bit frustrating... but also kinda enjoyable... but this guy went off like a rocket... finally somebody to talk with about tech.

This guy knew almost everything there was about tech.

The only things he didn't know what how SMT/symetric multi threading worked on AMD ryzen... and L1 caches.

So I explained this too him and also showed him AIDA64 benchmark results and such...

Pretty cool chat =D

Bye,
Skybuck.