Finding battery for a SONY VAIO laptop model PCG-71312L or VPCEB11FD

Old September 25th 18, 06:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Finding battery for a SONY VAIO laptop model PCG-71312L or VPCEB11FD

The battery model is VGP-BPS22. The laptop was bought in March 2010 so I
did not find any batteries on Sony website. The laptop cannot run
without being connected to a power cord. The battery in it no longer works.

I tried the suggestions at
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/s...icles/00031889 but they
did not help. I see some offered on ebay.com which claim to work, but I
wanted to confirm which battery models would work with this laptop.

1. Where can I find a replacement battery which would work with this
laptop?

2. When buying a battery from unknown seller on Walmart, ebay etc. how
can I verify if that will work properly with this laptop?
Old September 25th 18, 08:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

s wrote:
The battery model is VGP-BPS22. The laptop was bought in March 2010 so I
did not find any batteries on Sony website. The laptop cannot run
without being connected to a power cord. The battery in it no longer works.

I tried the suggestions at
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/s...icles/00031889 but they
did not help. I see some offered on ebay.com which claim to work, but I
wanted to confirm which battery models would work with this laptop.

1. Where can I find a replacement battery which would work with this
laptop?

2. When buying a battery from unknown seller on Walmart, ebay etc. how
can I verify if that will work properly with this laptop?

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...arket-analysis

"Sony's decision to exit the PC business means
that after 17 years in the industry, the Vaio brand
will probably disappear from western retailers before
the end of 2014."

https://www.theverge.com/2015/8/19/9...america-return

"VAIO also wants to move beyond the PC business"

IDK, I guess that suggests you'll be playing battery roulette.

I've not bought any laptop batteries, so I couldn't tell
you who to trust. (It probably wouldn't be that battery
store at the mall :-) )

Paul
Old September 25th 18, 10:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 23:32:27 -0600, s wrote:

The battery model is VGP-BPS22. The laptop was bought in March 2010 so I
did not find any batteries on Sony website. The laptop cannot run
without being connected to a power cord. The battery in it no longer works.

I tried the suggestions at
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/s...icles/00031889 but they
did not help. I see some offered on ebay.com which claim to work, but I
wanted to confirm which battery models would work with this laptop.

1. Where can I find a replacement battery which would work with this
laptop?

2. When buying a battery from unknown seller on Walmart, ebay etc. how
can I verify if that will work properly with this laptop?

If not this exact battery - re search their site or contact them.

http://www.battdepot.com/ca/search/o...vgp-bps22.aspx

I've dealt with these guys once - on a recommendation from a local
re-seller - no problems.
John T.

Old September 25th 18, 04:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 9/25/2018 1:32 AM, s wrote:
The battery model is VGP-BPS22. The laptop was bought in March 2010 so I
did not find any batteries on Sony website. The laptop cannot run without
being connected to a power cord. The battery in it no longer works.

I tried the suggestions at
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/s...icles/00031889 but they did
not help. I see some offered on ebay.com which claim to work, but I wanted
to confirm which battery models would work with this laptop.

1. Where can I find a replacement battery which would work with this laptop?

2. When buying a battery from unknown seller on Walmart, ebay etc. how can
I verify if that will work properly with this laptop?

Just Google the part number and you'll find many suppliers. Pick one,
Amazon for example, that has a decent return policy and spend your money
there. At some point in the life cycle of a product that is considered
basically a throw-away after five years you are going to get to this point
and you have to live with it. I keep my ancient HP laptop (old enough that
it still has a DVD drive inside) going with generic replacement batteries
and drives and haven't suffered too much for it.
Old September 26th 18, 06:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 9/25/2018 1:18 AM, Paul wrote:
s wrote:
The battery model is VGP-BPS22. The laptop was bought in March 2010 so
I did not find any batteries on Sony website. The laptop cannot run
without being connected to a power cord. The battery in it no longer
works.

I tried the suggestions at
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/s...icles/00031889 but they
did not help. I see some offered on ebay.com which claim to work, but
I wanted to confirm which battery models would work with this laptop.

1. Where can I find a replacement battery which would work with this
laptop?

2. When buying a battery from unknown seller on Walmart, ebay etc. how
can I verify if that will work properly with this laptop?

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...arket-analysis

Â*Â* "Sony's decision to exit the PC business means
Â*Â*Â* that after 17 years in the industry, the Vaio brand
Â*Â*Â* will probably disappear from western retailers before
Â*Â*Â* the end of 2014."

https://www.theverge.com/2015/8/19/9...america-return

Â*Â* "VAIO also wants to move beyond the PC business"

IDK, I guess that suggests you'll be playing battery roulette.

I've not bought any laptop batteries, so I couldn't tell
you who to trust. (It probably wouldn't be that battery
store at the mall :-) )

Â*Â* Paul

Thanks Paul,

My neighbor was told by his IT friend in office was told that putting
wrong type of battery in a laptop can be a fire hazard.
Old September 26th 18, 06:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 9/25/2018 3:15 AM, wrote:
[...]

Thanks John,

I will contact them.

Old September 26th 18, 07:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

s wrote:
On 9/25/2018 1:18 AM, Paul wrote:
s wrote:
[...]

True. But the companies making these batteries go to
a fair amount of trouble to create the plastics for the
battery housing, and they'll be putting the same
cell chemistry in the battery area as was there before.

For more information on safety, see this article.
The BatteryUniversity site is a great source of information
on charging methods, as well as safety concerns. And
it covers more chemistries than just laptop batteries.
I used information from the site when charging my
car battery :-)

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...afety_concerns

Paul
Old September 30th 18, 05:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 9/26/2018 12:22 AM, Paul wrote:
s wrote:
On 9/25/2018 1:18 AM, Paul wrote:
s wrote:
The battery model is VGP-BPS22. The laptop was bought in March 2010
so I did not find any batteries on Sony website. The laptop cannot
run without being connected to a power cord. The battery in it no
longer works.

I tried the suggestions at
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/s...icles/00031889 but
they did not help. I see some offered on ebay.com which claim to
work, but I wanted to confirm which battery models would work with
this laptop.

1. Where can I find a replacement battery which would work with this
laptop?

2. When buying a battery from unknown seller on Walmart, ebay etc.
how can I verify if that will work properly with this laptop?

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...arket-analysis

Â*Â*Â* "Sony's decision to exit the PC business means
Â*Â*Â*Â* that after 17 years in the industry, the Vaio brand
Â*Â*Â*Â* will probably disappear from western retailers before
Â*Â*Â*Â* the end of 2014."

https://www.theverge.com/2015/8/19/9...america-return

Â*Â*Â* "VAIO also wants to move beyond the PC business"

IDK, I guess that suggests you'll be playing battery roulette.

I've not bought any laptop batteries, so I couldn't tell
you who to trust. (It probably wouldn't be that battery
store at the mall :-) )

Â*Â*Â* Paul

Thanks Paul,

My neighbor was told by his IT friend in office was told that putting
wrong type of battery in a laptop can be a fire hazard.

True. But the companies making these batteries go to
a fair amount of trouble to create the plastics for the
battery housing, and they'll be putting the same
cell chemistry in the battery area as was there before.

For more information on safety, see this article.
The BatteryUniversity site is a great source of information
on charging methods, as well as safety concerns. And
it covers more chemistries than just laptop batteries.
I used information from the site when charging my
car battery :-)

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...afety_concerns

Â*Â* Paul

Thanks Paul,

It is very helpful. As always your help in this newsgroup is highly
appreciated!