Probably off topic: How do I find out which Microsoft Office 2016 license is in use on which machine?

Old January 29th 17, 02:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark F[_2_]

Default Probably off topic: How do I find out which Microsoft Office 2016 license is in use on which machine?

Probably off topic, but I can't find an active USENET group for
Microsoft licensing:

How do I find out which Microsoft Office 2016 license is in use on
which machine? I know all my Product Key/machines and I see the
licenses, but not which license is used for which Product Key.

For an unknown reason, Microsoft Office 2016 decided that it needed
to be reactivated. The activation procedure asks you to login to
what turns out is an office.com/myacount account.

It found 3 licenses, but didn't tell me how to figure out which
was the one I used for the machine in the past. I went to the
site in a browser and saw the 3 licenses, but all the page says is
you have a license for this many computers and then tells you how to
install the software.

The web site does not say which of the licenses have how many
machines are using the license (In my case each license is for one
machine and all 3 licenses should already have been in use.)

Microsoft gives directions for finding the Product Key when the
software is activated (in case you lost the label and find in the
future that you need to activate the software again)

However the (re)activation path failed because the license that
I arbitrarily chose had already been used. (Well yes, I'm trying
to re-activate)

Microsoft phone support says I should be able to reinstall and
activate using any one of the 3 licenses, but a) that didn't work,
even though the one I tried was actually the correct one and b)
a Microsoft web page says if you make a DVD you have to use the
correct license since the DVDs will actually be different.

I eventually got the software activated using 1-866-412-7141,
which I had to find by following a path that explained the
"telephone activation is no longer supported" error,
but I still don't see a way to deactivate a license or
determine from the web site that I have license with an available
activation.

Microsoft phone support said the web page was supposed to
have the Product Keys and some information to identify the
machines that were using each Product Key, but they couldn't
help me since I couldn't see the information. (I think that
it is possible that THEY see the information and are supposed to
be able to use the information to set things right, but that the
2 people I spoke to didn't understand what I wanted or didn't
want to help me.)

Old January 29th 17, 05:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

On 1/28/2017 7:32 PM, Mark F wrote:
[...]

You might want to run the free copy of Belarc Advisor on your machines.
If you print out the results say to a PDF file you will have a record of
what licenses the machines are using as well as more stuff about the
PC's than most users care to know about.

Old January 30th 17, 02:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark F[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 22:23:26 -0600, GlowingBlueMist
wrote in part:
You might want to run the free copy of Belarc Advisor on your machines.
If you print out the results say to a PDF file you will have a record of
what licenses the machines are using as well as more stuff about the
PC's than most users care to know about.

Belarc Advisor is a nice program and I have it, but it doesn't address
my issue.

I know what the Product Key is for the computer. The Microsoft Office
site knows that I have 3 licenses under the username and actually
knows which licenses are activated. The problem is that the Microsoft
Office Site page:

https://stores.office.com/myaccount/...uth=0&fromAR=3
only tells me that there are various licenses attached to the account
and when they were attached to the account, but it let me see if the
license is being used for an activated copy at current time. It shows
a date for each license, but I don't know if that is when the license
was connected to the account or if that date is changed to a different
date by an activation.

From Microsoft support I found out that THEY see the activation count,
date of activation, and something to describe which machine has the
activation. I was told that since I couldn't see the information when
I use the interface they couldn't help me.

On the other application side, when Microsoft Office 2016 asks to be
activated it asks which license you want to use for the activation,
but no hint as to which is the right one to use: at best you are given
some date associated with the license, but if you had two activations
done on the same day you don't know which one to use.

When you select a license to use it says something indicating that
it is a valid license so you think you are done with activation, but
it turns out you are not. As soon as try to do anything it says it
has to activate it. In my case, by luck, I actually picked the
license that was used for the initial activation of Office 2016 on the
machine, but which the machine somehow forgot about, and I got
an error message saying the license was already in use, rather then
OK you are now reactivated.

Although in this case since I actually picked the correct license
it wouldn't have helped me to try the other possible licenses, but
it turns out you can't try activating with another license without
uninstalling the software and re-installing it. If you have install
from your own DVD you still need to get activated, but probably can't.

If you install from the Microsoft Office web site you are supposed to
automatically get activated, but you had to make sure that you use
the license that you used the first time (and have no sure way of
knowing which is correct if you have two licenses with the same day)

If you make a DVD from the Microsoft Office web site you still have
to make it from the proper license.

Two different Microsoft phone support people said I could use
any license for the account for the re-activation in the first
place, but A) that doesn't make sense and B) it didn't work when
I accidentally used the correct license.

Searching on the web found Microsoft pages that said you have to
use the correct license, told you how to figure the Product Key
if you needed to, but didn't give a procedure for finding out
which license had which product key, but I didn't need this
information since I already had the Product Key, wasn't asked for
it during activation, had no way to see which Product Key
was in use by which license, and re-activation didn't
work even though I accidentally use license that had been used
for an activation on the machine in the past.

Old January 30th 17, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

wrote in part:
[...]

From Microsoft support I found out that THEY see the activation count,
[...]

Sorry suggestion did not help.
Since I retired I switched over to LibreOffice and no longer have
Microsoft's Office to play around with.

Hopefully someone else on the newsgroup will have a better suggestion.