How do diagnose issue of computer resetting itself constantly, please help!

Old August 14th 06, 08:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default How do diagnose issue of computer resetting itself constantly, please help!

I'm having an issue with my computer resetting randomly, sometimes it
happens once a day, sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days at a
time and other times it happens many times per day.

It's a P4 with 2gig of ram & gigabyte mainboard, and I have replaced
every piece of hardware on it and it still happens!!!

I've replaced, ram, video card, cpu, power supply (I now have
500watt), main board but not my usb devices.

It basically just does a hard reset but doesn't go into the usual
blue screen, just reboots as if you hit the reset key.

I'm running barely anything on the os of the pc except for office,
antivirus (MacAfee) and virtual server 2005 r2. On the virtual servers
I run my dev environment etc...

At first I thought it was hardware related as it was just recycling the
power, however now I wonder whether is is software related as I have
noticed that when it boots up after a crash and goes into the "inform
Microsoft about this problem" screen, it mentions that a driver
caused the "stop error" but gives no more information than that.

I cant see any dump logs under the windows directory, where are they
usually kept and how do I examine them?

If anyone could help me out, on how to debug this, I would be eternally
grateful.

Thanks Ryan

Old August 14th 06, 02:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On 14 Aug 2006 00:59:58 -0700,
wrote:

I'm having an issue with my computer resetting randomly, sometimes it
happens once a day, sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days at a
time and other times it happens many times per day.

It's a P4 with 2gig of ram & gigabyte mainboard, and I have replaced
every piece of hardware on it and it still happens!!!

Then it's obviously hardware, or operating environment (case
or overly high ambient temp).

If merely windows encountering an error and rebooting,
disable that feature of windows and if you get a bluescreen,
write down the stop code and any other unusual message
details.

I've replaced, ram, video card, cpu, power supply (I now have
500watt), main board but not my usb devices.

Decent 500W or generic?

It basically just does a hard reset but doesn't go into the usual
blue screen, just reboots as if you hit the reset key.

I'm running barely anything on the os of the pc except for office,
antivirus (MacAfee) and virtual server 2005 r2. On the virtual servers
I run my dev environment etc...

So you mean windows. Do a clean install (can be on another
drive, wherever) and do not install this software yet.
Don't install the drivers either, seek newer /other driver
versions if you must but ideally you want to minimize the
variables as much as possible to isolate this. Do any of
this only after disabling windows reboot feature and
investigating stop codes (if any) and check the Event
Viewer.

At first I thought it was hardware related as it was just recycling the
power, however now I wonder whether is is software related as I have
noticed that when it boots up after a crash and goes into the "inform
Microsoft about this problem" screen, it mentions that a driver
caused the "stop error" but gives no more information than that.

I cant see any dump logs under the windows directory, where are they
usually kept and how do I examine them?

If anyone could help me out, on how to debug this, I would be eternally
grateful.

This is a hardware group but you failed to give a detailed
account of the hardware. Since it seems you have replaced
all hardware and mention no other environmental issues, your
problem is likely best posted in a software oriented forum
such as one dedicated to your version of windows, at least
until you can nail down which driver it was.
Old August 14th 06, 03:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Htnakirs

Since you have changed almost everything, try using a different
cabinet. Probably the wires/plugs coming from the cabinet's reset/power
buttons are shorting.

If it is driver related, it would occur immediately after some event,
and not randomly. Try to identify this event. It could be anything from
running an app to plugging a device.

Old August 14th 06, 06:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Htnakirs wrote:

Since you have changed almost everything, try using
a different cabinet. Probably the wires/plugs coming
from the cabinet's reset/power buttons are shorting.

Unlikely, and the event log will prove that.

If it is driver related, it would occur immediately after some
event, and not randomly. Try to identify this event. It could
be anything from running an app to plugging a device.

And the event log should make it obvious that its not random.

Old August 15th 06, 01:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

It does seem incredibly random, in fact Im sure at one point the power
just kept recycling during the bios loading.

however saying that, Ive changed it to not recycle but to freeze on
blue screen and it appears that the error message is
page_fault_in_non_paged_area

Do you guys think that this could have somethign to do with a power
short?

Old August 16th 06, 09:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

These are what Gets written into system events whenever it crashes,
very informative:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 15/08/2006
Time: 12:52:34
User: N/A
Computer: TWENTY
Error code 10000050, parameter1 e1551060, parameter2 00000001,
parameter3 80550669, parameter4 00000001.

Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 35 1000005
0020: 30 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 0 Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 65 31 eters e1
0030: 35 35 31 30 36 30 2c 20 551060,
0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 31 00000001
0040: 2c 20 38 30 35 35 30 36 , 805506
0048: 36 39 2c 20 30 30 30 30 69, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 31 0001

----------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 15/08/2006
Time: 12:52:28
User: N/A
Computer: TWENTY
Error code 10000050, parameter1 e25a0660, parameter2 00000001,
parameter3 80550669, parameter4 00000001.

Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 35 1000005
0020: 30 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 0 Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 65 32 eters e2
0030: 35 61 30 36 36 30 2c 20 5a0660,

Date: 14/08/2006
Time: 20:26:19
User: N/A
Computer: TWENTY
Error code 10000050, parameter1 e21f3410, parameter2 00000000,
parameter3 8055059a, parameter4 00000001.

Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 35 1000005
0020: 30 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 0 Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 65 32 eters e2
0030: 31 66 33 34 31 30 2c 20 1f3410,
0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 00000000
0040: 2c 20 38 30 35 35 30 35 , 805505
0048: 39 61 2c 20 30 30 30 30 9a, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 31 0001

----------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 14/08/2006
Time: 19:51:52
User: N/A
Computer: TWENTY
Error code 00000024, parameter1 001902fe, parameter2 b3d4a550,
parameter3 b3d4a24c, parameter4 80550669.

Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 32 0000002
0020: 34 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 4 Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 30 30 eters 00
0030: 31 39 30 32 66 65 2c 20 1902fe,
0038: 62 33 64 34 61 35 35 30 b3d4a550
0040: 2c 20 62 33 64 34 61 32 , b3d4a2
0048: 34 63 2c 20 38 30 35 35 4c, 8055
0050: 30 36 36 39 0669

----------------------------------

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 14/08/2006
Time: 19:25:39
User: N/A
Computer: TWENTY
Error code 10000050, parameter1 e460ea34, parameter2 00000001,
parameter3 805505a1, parameter4 00000001.

Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 35 1000005
0020: 30 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 0 Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 65 34 eters e4
0030: 36 30 65 61 33 34 2c 20 60ea34,
0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 31 00000001
0040: 2c 20 38 30 35 35 30 35 , 805505
0048: 61 31 2c 20 30 30 30 30 a1, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 31 0001

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote:

Ive got some mini dumps as well, do you
guys know how I would analyse them?

Better to check the event log first.

Thats what its there for, to provide more detail on events like that.