USB stops responding

Old March 20th 06, 04:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default USB stops responding

USB ports stopped responding. I installed new version of "itunes"
(fist time after clean install of WindowsXP Sp2) and than plugged in an
Ipod. At the same moment my wireless USB mouse stopped working, the
same goes for a printer Epson R320 (USB). In my attempt to solve the
problem I reinstalled WindowsXP Sp2, but when I plug any USB device,
the system does not recognize it, as if the device is not plugged in.
Under Device Manager, all the USB entries are showing up correctly,
without any errors or exclamation marks. Next, I reset a battery on
motherboard and flushed a BIOS with new version (1011), formatted the
hard drive and created new partitions. After that, reinstalled
WindowsXP Sp1 (clean install). The result was the same; none of the USB
devices is recognized by the OS. BIOS also shows "no device is
connected", however power goes through the USB ports, my flash drive
Sandisk Microcruzer lights up when is connected to USB port.

Motherboard: ASUS P4P800 SE

Please help

Old March 20th 06, 06:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 20 Mar 2006 08:23:45 -0800, wrote:

[...]

It would seem your motherboard is physically damaged. You
might buy a PCI USB card, seek RMA through Asus if it's
under warranty, or just buy a new board. Personally, I'd
get the PCI USB card because it's the least trouble. That
is, if you can live with the lack of USB mouse or keyboard
until the OS loads a driver... or will a PCI USB card still
provide the legacy support? I don't think it will but I
haven't done any testing of it.
Old March 20th 06, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Kaboom. Another victim of ESD induced latchup. The USB ports
inside the Southbridge are burned (just the pad driver area).
This is the only public explanation of the problem.

http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/Motherbo...AQ/FAQ_456.htm

Either use the Asus warranty, and get it repaired (new Southbridge),
or since your damage didn't kill the motherboard completely,
a PCI USB2 card (one with a NEC chip on it would be good) is
one way to get some USB functionality back.

A PCI USB2 card will not allow a USB keyboard to program the
BIOS screens, so it is not a complete solution.

In the cases where the damage is more severe, there is a visible
burn mark on the Southbridge, and the motherboard will no longer
boot. You have the less severe form, where the power to the
USB pads burns out, before the rest of the chip is toasted.

Paul
Old March 20th 06, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Thank you for you help.

Old March 21st 06, 12:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Paul wrote:

Kaboom. Another victim of ESD induced latchup. The USB ports
inside the Southbridge are burned (just the pad driver area).
This is the only public explanation of the problem.

http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/Motherbo...AQ/FAQ_456.htm

It's not just ESD but also current surges.

I'm always careful about ESD and touch the metal shell of any connector
to the computer case before pluggiing it in, but my USB card was
damaged anyway. The manufacturer said that it was because the tiny
LM3526 chip blew, which, ironically, is designed to protect against
current surges. The spec sheet for the chip mentioned that each USB
port was supposed to have a 120uF or larger tantalum capacitor across
it to supply current during plug-in, but my USB card had only 100uF
regular alumium capacitors. The version of this card sold by Maxtor
had 220uF capacitors instead.

Old March 21st 06, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

In article .com, "larry
moe 'n curly" wrote:

Paul wrote:

Kaboom. Another victim of ESD induced latchup. The USB ports
inside the Southbridge are burned (just the pad driver area).
This is the only public explanation of the problem.

http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/Motherbo...AQ/FAQ_456.htm

It's not just ESD but also current surges.

I'm always careful about ESD and touch the metal shell of any connector
to the computer case before pluggiing it in, but my USB card was
damaged anyway. The manufacturer said that it was because the tiny
LM3526 chip blew, which, ironically, is designed to protect against
current surges. The spec sheet for the chip mentioned that each USB
port was supposed to have a 120uF or larger tantalum capacitor across
it to supply current during plug-in, but my USB card had only 100uF
regular alumium capacitors. The version of this card sold by Maxtor
had 220uF capacitors instead.

That is a dual port chip. I wonder if someone got greedy and
tried to run four ports off the one chip ? Otherwise, it
seems pretty heavily armored.

http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/LM/LM3526.pdf

I have my suspicion there is more to the Intel ICH5 issue than
has been publically reported. There was one failure reported
by a user, where the chip burned right after doing a restart
from Windows. That doesn't suggest the user was adding or
removing cables at the time, and makes me wonder if there isn't
a problem with the +5V used to bias the chip, and its sequencing.
It is like there is more than just sensitivity to static, and
other things can trigger the problem as well. But the vast
majority of descriptions read "I just plugged in my Cruzer,
when it died...". More failures from the 2x5 USB headers,
than from rear USB ports.

On some motherboards, the +5V appears to come from a Polyfuse,
followed by an electrolytic to prop up the rails. In that
case at least, it is a bit harder to blow out the power
path, as the Polyfuse (automatically recovering fuse) is
pretty good. I wouldn't think the LM3526 approach would
be that common.

Paul
Old March 21st 06, 11:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Paul wrote:
In article .com, "larry
moe 'n curly" wrote:

I'm always careful about ESD and touch the metal shell of any connector
to the computer case before pluggiing it in, but my USB card was
damaged anyway. The manufacturer said that it was because the tiny
LM3526 chip blew, which, ironically, is designed to protect against
current surges.

That is a dual port chip. I wonder if someone got greedy and
tried to run four ports off the one chip ? Otherwise, it
seems pretty heavily armored.

http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/LM/LM3526.pdf

On some motherboards, the +5V appears to come from a Polyfuse,
followed by an electrolytic to prop up the rails. In that
case at least, it is a bit harder to blow out the power
path, as the Polyfuse (automatically recovering fuse) is
pretty good. I wouldn't think the LM3526 approach would
be that common.

My Maxtor USB card has four ports but only a single LM3526 to protect
all of them. At least it has one Polyfuse per USB port, unlike some
cards where each Polyfuse protects a pair of ports.

I've seen mobos that were designed for Polyfuses but had jumper wires
installed instead. Among them were a couple of PC Chips models,
including the one that quit working just five hours after I got it, but
not mobos from Gigabyte, Abit, or Asus/Asrock. I don't remember about
MSI, but I think theirs have Polyfuses.

Old March 21st 06, 11:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 20 Mar 2006 16:13:51 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

Paul wrote:

Kaboom. Another victim of ESD induced latchup. The USB ports
inside the Southbridge are burned (just the pad driver area).
This is the only public explanation of the problem.

http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/Motherbo...AQ/FAQ_456.htm

It's not just ESD but also current surges.

I'm always careful about ESD and touch the metal shell of any connector
to the computer case before pluggiing it in, but my USB card was
damaged anyway. The manufacturer said that it was because the tiny
LM3526 chip blew, which, ironically, is designed to protect against
current surges. The spec sheet for the chip mentioned that each USB
port was supposed to have a 120uF or larger tantalum capacitor across
it to supply current during plug-in, but my USB card had only 100uF
regular alumium capacitors. The version of this card sold by Maxtor
had 220uF capacitors instead.

I'm beginning to wonder if these (*problematic*) USB devices
themselves have too much capacitance. There's a pretty low
limit on how much the device (peripheral, not internal USB
card or integrated subcircuit) is supposed to have, might be
100uF or even lower but I don't recall the exact figure.
Old March 21st 06, 01:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 21 Mar 2006 03:10:54 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

I've seen mobos that were designed for Polyfuses but had jumper wires
installed instead. Among them were a couple of PC Chips models,
including the one that quit working just five hours after I got it, but
not mobos from Gigabyte, Abit, or Asus/Asrock. I don't remember about
MSI, but I think theirs have Polyfuses.

MSI do, even PCChips-made Shuttle boards do.