Why are inkjet printers faster in black?

Old May 28th 18, 05:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default Why are inkjet printers faster in black?

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2018 08:14:23 +0100, rp wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2018 22:03:42 +0100, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Why are inkjet printers faster in black than in colour? Surely black
is just one of the inks, like cyan, magenta, and yellow. Since the
heads are independant, why would black only be faster? Is there a
****ty processor in the printers that's slower than the 4 heads
combined?

If you check the specs for your printer you will find;

Nozzle Configuration
90 Nozzles Black, 29 Nozzles per Color

now work it out for yourself.

Odd it's not 30 per colour, exactly a third of the black, so three passes.

That's going to vary from printer to printer.

I could find a photo printer, running 8 colors at 768 nozzles
per color and only 1 picoliter drop size. The nozzle count
in that case was the same for each color. They bump up the
number of colors, to compensate for the color range they
can accomplish with a given ink (which isn't all that impressive).
The last time I checked, I think I found one running 6 colors,
and I guess like razor blade designs, "you can never have
too many".

On some printers, the "height" of the active surface on the
black, is different than the color, which means the "swath"
per pass is different, and it takes more passes back and
forth to process a sheet.

I couldn't remember the word yesterday, but you can also
print in "Draft" mode to make it go faster. They have
other words for modes, such as "Eco" mode, which you might
use for a first-pass print of some new work.

Paul
Old May 28th 18, 05:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

On Mon, 28 May 2018 17:15:11 +0100, Paul wrote:

[...]

Not sure what you mean by that. But surely black shoots out the same amount of ink in the same size droplets as colour?

I just leave it on normal, unless I'm doing a photo print on glossy paper, more is not needed. As for draft, it looks like **** and is hardly legible.

--
Sprinter Tim Montgomery is banned 2 years for doping.
Track officials began to suspect he might be juicing.

looking for Black & White inkjet ? stu7 Printers 0 June 16th 10 09:18 PM
inkjet printers species8350 Printers 2 April 18th 07 04:56 PM
Are there color printers nowadays that only use black when printing black? [email protected] Printers 9 July 21st 05 12:39 PM
Colour laser printers compared to inkjet printers? Brian Printers 10 May 10th 05 01:25 PM
A3 inkjet printers jean-claude Bertier Printers 8 October 17th 04 11:20 PM