865 or 875 chipset for stability?

Old November 24th 03, 05:52 AM
Timotao

Default 865 or 875 chipset for stability?

Does one have the edge for stability? Which ASUS board is the current
board of choice? RAID is not important, but does no harm if the board
has it.
Old November 24th 03, 06:03 AM
Darkfalz

"Timotao" wrote in message
Does one have the edge for stability? Which ASUS board is the current
board of choice? RAID is not important, but does no harm if the board
has it.

I recommend P4P800 Deluxe, since I have one. Of course if you can afford the
P4C800 it's just as good, if not better.

Both boards will be rock solid.

Old November 24th 03, 06:13 AM
Timotao

I will need 2 com ports. does it have the connector for COM2 or just
the header on the board. Sounds trivial, but i'll need both!

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:03:31 +1100, "Darkfalz"
wrote:

.. .

Old November 24th 03, 06:24 AM
Darkfalz

"Timotao" wrote in message
I will need 2 com ports. does it have the connector for COM2 or just
the header on the board. Sounds trivial, but i'll need both!

It has one on the back panel and one standard COM2 connector on the
mainboard (so you will need a bracket).

Don't worry, I actually use both too - on my other computer.

Old November 24th 03, 07:33 PM
Jim Mc

For stability, get the 875 chipset and ECC memory. The 865 doesn't
support ECC. Also, most BIOSes implement Intel's PAT (Performance
Acceleration Technology) in the 865 chipset even though it isn't
officially supported by Intel for the 865. So they're essentially
overclocking the chipset. Not sure, but maybe this can be disabled
in the BIOS for 865 motherboards.

I think the better, though newer, Asus 875 motherboard is the P4C800-E
Deluxe. The P4C800 Deluxe is based on a board that was one of the
first 875 boards on the market and Asus took a few shortcuts, such as
using a 3COM GB ethernet chip and not taking advantage of the CSA bus
for the gigabit LAN.

Old November 24th 03, 11:32 PM
Cliff

Another vote for P4P800 Deluxe (i865). Been using it heavily for 6 months
with WinXP Home, and it hasn't missed a beat.

Old November 25th 03, 11:32 PM
Cliff

but proven... The question posed was regarding stability.

"John" wrote in message
u...

P4P800 is old technology

u...

Old November 26th 03, 06:03 PM
John

The old BX boards were stabile too, but times have changed

"Cliff" wrote in message
u...
but proven... The question posed was regarding stability.

"John" wrote in message
u...

P4P800 is old technology

u...