What test(s) to run to ensure stability of OC?

Old November 8th 03, 12:50 AM
Mark Smith

Default What test(s) to run to ensure stability of OC?

The subject says it all:
What test(s) to run to ensure stability of OC?

Have my 2500 Barton on my ASUS A7N8X running at 10.5x with 200 multiplier,
using pc2700DDR memory, seems fine at 2100 with stock cooling and one case
fan (CPU at 39 degrees, MB at 18 ambient about 65 (I like it cool!)).

Want to make sure it truly is stable and error-free at this rate, then maybe
bump it up again????

Old November 8th 03, 02:54 AM
Mark Smith

Ed,

I checked your first link, and it said that the 2700 memory is only good up
to 166 FSB settings. I currently have mine at 200, and have passed the
Memtest86 ok.

Is this an issue?

Thanx,

Mark

"Ed" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 00:50:06 GMT, "Mark Smith" wrote:

The subject says it all:
What test(s) to run to ensure stability of OC?

Have my 2500 Barton on my ASUS A7N8X running at 10.5x with 200

multiplier,
using pc2700DDR memory, seems fine at 2100 with stock cooling and one

case
fan (CPU at 39 degrees, MB at 18 ambient about 65 (I like it cool!)).

Want to make sure it truly is stable and error-free at this rate, then

maybe
bump it up again????

Prime95 (stress test).

Cheers,
Ed
--
* AthlonXP Links: http://tinyurl.com/cu77
* A7N8X Advanced BIOS Settings FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/pxdf

Old November 8th 03, 03:35 AM
Barry Watzman

Memtest does not test the CPU. YOu need to get a program whose mix of
instructions will cause maximum internal CPU heating, and then run THAT
program at the overclocked speed. In MANY cases, memory is not the
limiting factor, and testing memory won't prove that the system will be
stable (although by all means you DO still have to test memory).

Old November 8th 03, 05:13 AM
Cap'n Jack

Prime95
http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm

Old November 8th 03, 07:32 AM
Mark Smith

Thanx for the good guidance, a coupla more questions...

I've done OK with Prime95 for about 4 hours. Max temp was 52C (the temp has
dropped down to 37C in the past 15 minutes, feeling good about my minimal
cooling approach (one case fan, stock cooler on CPU)).

My 5V numbers went down to 4.811V while the CPU was pegged. The alarms are
set at 10% flux, guessing it would ring at 4.5V, is 4.8V ok? Is my cheap
case/powersupply decision coming back to haunt me?

I can't get past windows startup with my multiplier at 11, only 10.5...

If I am getting past POST, should Windows start?

Do I need to up my voltage for running at 2.2 gigs? What to? For some
reason, changing the VCore is the scariest aspect of this overclocking biz,
maybe I just need to get past it...

My VCore is set to stock on the BIOS, 1.68 (as shown on Asus PC Probe, not
sure of the BIOS setting w/out checking).

Thanx again,

Mark

A7N8X Deluxe
Barton 2500
2x 256MB PC 2700 DDR
2x WD 80MB SE Hard Drives
Pioneer A05
Liteon 52x32x52 CD/RW
Chaintech AGP NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Old November 8th 03, 05:19 PM
Kyle Brant

"Mark Smith" wrote in message
| The subject says it all:
| What test(s) to run to ensure stability of OC?
|
| Have my 2500 Barton on my ASUS A7N8X running at 10.5x with 200
multiplier,
| using pc2700DDR memory, seems fine at 2100 with stock cooling and
one case
| fan (CPU at 39 degrees, MB at 18 ambient about 65 (I like it
cool!)).

| Want to make sure it truly is stable and error-free at this rate,
then maybe
| bump it up again????

I like to make certain that an OS boot will not result in a corrupted
HD, and to better those chances I run memtest86 and Docmem from floppy
boot disks first after establishing a new OC setup. Then, if those
tests pass a few times thru, boot windows (or your fav OS) and do some
stress testing with software such as Prime95, CPU Stability Test,
Burnintest, 3dmarkxx vid tests, etc.

--
Best regards,
Kyle