Western Digital

Old July 5th 04, 04:17 AM
didnt_say

Default Western Digital

Anyone know the difference between these two ?

WD2500JB-32FUAO
WD2500JB-00FUAO

Old July 5th 04, 03:19 PM
CWatters

didnt_say wrote in message

Anyone know the difference between these two ?

WD2500JB-32FUAO
WD2500JB-00FUAO

This won't help but might be of interest...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04...al_to_end_hdd/

Old July 6th 04, 11:40 AM
didnt_say

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 14:19:53 GMT, "CWatters"
wrote:

didnt_say wrote in message
.. .

Anyone know the difference between these two ?

WD2500JB-32FUAO
WD2500JB-00FUAO

This won't help but might be of interest...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04...al_to_end_hdd/

Sounds about right. It's not a good sign when they don't have any
control over their inventory.

I looked around WD's website and couldn't find anything about part
numbers except the more general stuff.

I've got three WD 250 Gig drives. All 8M buffers. Two are quiet, but
ball bearing, and have silver tops. The latest has a BLACK TOP to
match the side/bottom of the drive.

I suspect it's a "quiet drive" because it's not

I've read complaints from people who bought the quiet drives and found
them louder than the ball bearing drives.

This one isn't too bad. It's quiet most of the time. It has a very
noisy, whiny, start up noise signature that goes away after it spins
up. However, you KNOW, it's not the same build as the other two
WD250's. The other annoying thing is it makes a funny access noise at
times. Kind of a muted clickity clack nose when SpeedFan accesses the
drive to monitor the thermal diode. It was bugging me until I
switched off the SpeedFan temperature charting I was doing on the new
drive.

I was buying WD because I had good luck in the past with the quality,
but now I think you'd be better off with Hitachi or Samsung.