A common part until you want one

Old October 23rd 07, 11:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
[email protected]

Default A common part until you want one

A common part until you want one

Yesterday, I decided to get a PC going that I'd been handed for free.
It's an old Gateway server with a dual Pentium 3 motherboard, meaning
it has little value, but would do for a second machine running Linux.
So I went around looking for a couple of suitable processors.

Calling Gateway was, to put it bluntly, a waste of time. Their tech
support has gone from pretty good to dog**** in the last two years,
maybe three. But after twenty minutes I finaly was able to get out of
the heavily accented immigrant tech what I needed: Socket 370, 667 or
800 MHz PIII processors with a 133 MHz front side bus.

Now, those parts should be dime a dozen. Thousands of those computers
should be now in landfills in fact, and the rest should have an ACV of
somewhere between plus twenty and minus twenty dollars. But of the ten
hole in the wall places I've called locally not one has any, let alone
two of them of the same speed.

Looking online has shown a few sources-but they want between $60 and
$80 apiece. Per processor.

The computer isn't worth that! That's why it was given to me in the
first place!

http://heresyhut.blogspot.com/2007/1...-want-one.html

Old October 24th 07, 04:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

I should be able to scare up a pair of 800MHz Socket 370 CPUs with matched
sSpec. You can have them for cheap, surely not $60 apiece. You would also need
either a heat sink or a heat sink cooling fan for the second processor. I'll
provide particulars on your blog... Ben Myers