Which the fastest processor can I choose to motherboard with KT133 chipset

Old April 10th 04, 03:09 PM
Faraon

Default Which the fastest processor can I choose to motherboard with KT133 chipset

Hello!

I'd like to know, what kind of amd proccesor can I put into my
motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-7ZX series) with KT133 chipset (but not KT 133A).
The system bus speed is selectable at 100 to 133 MHz. My clock generator is
ICS 9249-141 and I can choose FSB as a: 95, 100, 105, 110, 113, 115, 117,
and 133).

What's the fastest processor I can put into my computer?

With regards,

Piotr Walendowski

P.S. Happy Easter!

Old April 10th 04, 07:10 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:09:38 +0200, Faraon wrote:

Hello!

I'd like to know, what kind of amd proccesor can I put into my
motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-7ZX series) with KT133 chipset (but not KT 133A).
The system bus speed is selectable at 100 to 133 MHz. My clock generator is
ICS 9249-141 and I can choose FSB as a: 95, 100, 105, 110, 113, 115, 117,
and 133).

What's the fastest processor I can put into my computer?

Well, the 133 setting won't work in the KT133 chipset due to an
engineering bug in the chipset (the reason for the KT133A). So about the
most you will get out of would be around 115, and that's overclocking the
PCI/AGP buses and maybe ram bus too, depending on board. So for
conservative figures, 24x100 (2400MHz) is the max, assuming you get an
unlocked cpu. If you have good ram, tolerant PCI/AGP components, then
24x115 (2760MHz), but you probably won't find any K7 cpu that will run
that fast with extreme cooling. See link below for more info. The cpu in
the sig line is an unmodified, unlocked, 2100+ Tbred B core, AIUHB 0302.

Old April 13th 04, 07:29 AM
Erez Volach

AFAIK this board (7ZX) will not take even an XP1500+, fasest is Athlon
1400MHz/100. I have the same board, revision 1, but with a different clock
generator (there were 2 possible) with FSB's 100, 102, 104, 106, 108, 110,
112, 133. All but the 133 worked fine with my PC133 and Duron 750,
overclocking the FSB and memory (up to 149MHz), but PCI/AGP are locked IIRC.
There was no bios update for Athlon XP when they were released. officially
it is not supported, even at speeds within the boards limits, so not sure if
they will work at 100MHz.
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...t_Socket+A.htm

newsan.2004.04.10.18.17.35.365540@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old April 13th 04, 09:07 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:29:52 +0200, Erez Volach wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message

[...]

I just told you the 133 setting won't work on the KT133 chipset. Did you
read anything I wrote? And you are flat wrong about the fastest cpu that
will run in it too.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...t_Socket+A.htm

This means nothing. It's virtually worthless BS from Gigabyte. The same BS
Abit shows for the board below.:-)
Here's Abits BS.
http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/generic/checkcpu.htm
And it's as worthless as Gigabytes.
Here's the cpu running at 2400MHz.
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Unknown CPU Type
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 2400.188
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 4784.12

The only problem I could see would be if the some idiot wrote the bios to
set the FSB at 133Mhz when a cpu with a 133MHz default FSB was installed.
In that case, it won't boot until you mod the cpu for a 100Mhz default
FSB since the chipset won't support a 133MHz FSb (Thanks VIA).

If you want to know about the default FSB look here.
http://fab51.fc2web.com/pc/barton/athlon-e21.html

Old April 13th 04, 09:27 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:07:21 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

If you want to know about the default FSB look here.
http://fab51.fc2web.com/pc/barton/athlon-e21.html

I also forgot to mention that a fast search found people running XP's in
this board (7ZX) already.