Abit KT7A and Athon 2600 XP ?

Old February 23rd 04, 10:30 PM
ExtantOne

Default Abit KT7A and Athon 2600 XP ?

I would like to do a processor upgrade on my friend's pc. He was looking at
the Athlon 2600 XP 200- 266 FSB. Motherboard is an Abit KT7A. Will this
processor work?

---

Old February 23rd 04, 11:28 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:30:16 -0500, ExtantOne wrote:

I would like to do a processor upgrade on my friend's pc. He was looking at
the Athlon 2600 XP 200- 266 FSB. Motherboard is an Abit KT7A. Will this
processor work?

Yes

Old March 3rd 04, 12:59 AM
Simon

THIS MOBO IS DEFINITELY NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE ATHLON XP 2600+

Sorry for shouting but you really must not buy a KT7A board. It has the
KT133A Chipset althougth it does support 266 Mhz (133MHz*2) FSB, it only
supports upto a Althon 1400 which if my memory serves is a pre AthlonXP
processor.

See Bios Update info:-

http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/uk/down...YPE=Socket +A

Just as a sub note. The Althon 2600+ XP or ADXA2600BOX you but in the shops
is a 333MHz FSB (166*2) version. It is true that there was a 266 version of
the AXDA2600Box but was discontinued by AMD when the started producing 333
processors such as the Athlon2600+ and the Althon2800+. The only place you
may find one is Ebay or other such places.

If your heart is set on a 266 MHz FSB then the best you will be able to get
is a AthlonXP2400+ (ATHLON2400BOX). Again make sure the processor you get
has a 266FSB as there is a ADXA2400BOX with a 400(200*2) FSB.

The Abit mobo you are after is the KR7A. They both fairly aged mobo's now so
there should be little different in cost.

Hope this Helps :-)

Old March 3rd 04, 08:14 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 00:59:29 +0000, Simon wrote:

THIS MOBO IS DEFINITELY NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE ATHLON XP 2600+

Sorry for shouting but you really must not buy a KT7A board. It has the
KT133A Chipset althougth it does support 266 Mhz (133MHz*2) FSB, it only
supports upto a Althon 1400 which if my memory serves is a pre AthlonXP
processor.

All wrong.

See Bios Update info:-

Why. it's worthless.

Just as a sub note. The Althon 2600+ XP or ADXA2600BOX you but in the
shops is a 333MHz FSB (166*2) version. It is true that there was a 266
version of the AXDA2600Box but was discontinued by AMD when the started
producing 333 processors such as the Athlon2600+ and the Althon2800+.
The only place you may find one is Ebay or other such places.

Wrong again. You can buy brand new 2600+/266 cpu's.

If your heart is set on a 266 MHz FSB then the best you will be able to
get is a AthlonXP2400+ (ATHLON2400BOX). Again make sure the processor
you get has a 266FSB as there is a ADXA2400BOX with a 400(200*2) FSB.

AMD has never made a 266Mhz FSB cpu. They do make a 266FSB that has a
default FSB of 133Mhz.

The Abit mobo you are after is the KR7A. They both fairly aged mobo's
now so there should be little different in cost.

Why in the world would he want to buy an old KR7A? If a new board is
needed get a new model. They are backwards compatable.

Hope this Helps :-)

Sorry, it didn't.

Please read the site below before spreading any more misinformation. And
look at the sig.

Old March 3rd 04, 11:37 AM
rstlne

"Simon" wrote in message

THIS MOBO IS DEFINITELY NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE ATHLON XP 2600+

Sorry for shouting but you really must not buy a KT7A board. It has the
KT133A Chipset althougth it does support 266 Mhz (133MHz*2) FSB, it only
supports upto a Althon 1400 which if my memory serves is a pre AthlonXP
processor.

Wow.. You must only post in this forum and not read..
Granted YES the new 2600+'s would be useless as they are locked.. But they
are the same basic design.. That is, same pinouts, same instructions, same
voltage range (yea voltages differe but go across the whole range of
athonlons your board can take and you'll see that newer barton processors
use the same voltage)..

Basically it's down to a lack of research on your part, Sorry that it didnt
work for you - but you wouldnt have had trouble had you done your research
before buying the stuff