Backup to a second hard drive - what software?

Old October 19th 03, 07:18 PM
Saml

Default Backup to a second hard drive - what software?

I'm considering getting a second 80 gb hard drive just for backup. (Circuit
City has a WD today for $69.99.)

Currently all I have is Win XP, but I may create a Linux partition one of
these days.

PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 and Symantec's Ghost are two names I'm familar
with, though not the details of their products. I used PowerQuest's
Partition Magic a couple of years ago on Win 98 and was happy with what it
did.

Anyone got a recommendation for software to use?

Old October 19th 03, 09:59 PM
Edward J. Neth

If you mean an image backup, either Drive Image or Ghost will work fine. If
you don't need speed, WD Data Lifeguard can mirror the drive and is free.

Symantec just bought PowerQuest, so it's likely that future versions of
Ghost will include Drive Image's features - it's unlikely they'll continue
both products.

Old October 20th 03, 12:45 AM
Saml

Speed isn't an issue -- it can run all night if necessary--so I'll check
out Data Lifeguard. Hadn't noticed the Symnatec Powerquest purchase.

Thanks.

m...

Old October 20th 03, 02:40 AM
j walker

"Saml" wrote in message
I'm considering getting a second 80 gb hard drive just for backup.

(Circuit
City has a WD today for $69.99.)

Currently all I have is Win XP, but I may create a Linux partition one of
these days.

PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 and Symantec's Ghost are two names I'm familar
with, though not the details of their products. I used PowerQuest's
Partition Magic a couple of years ago on Win 98 and was happy with what it
did.

Anyone got a recommendation for software to use?

The technical staff at Western Digital told me that they will not
guarantee that Data Lifeguard will image a slave drive under XP so
that it can be swapped for the master and the computer boot.
Apparently it is hit or miss as to whether it will work. Their
recommendation was Ghost and another one that I don't remember.
Old October 20th 03, 09:33 AM
mike

Saml wrote:
I'm considering getting a second 80 gb hard drive just for backup. (Circuit
City has a WD today for $69.99.)

Currently all I have is Win XP, but I may create a Linux partition one of
these days.

PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 and Symantec's Ghost are two names I'm familar
with, though not the details of their products. I used PowerQuest's
Partition Magic a couple of years ago on Win 98 and was happy with what it
did.

Anyone got a recommendation for software to use?

There are several things to consider.

Does it work with the operating system you have or want?

Does it image the WHOLE drive or just the USED part of the drive.
If you have a big drive with low percentage use, this can make a BIG
difference.

Does it compress? Not an issue if you're backing up mp3s. Can make
a BIG difference if you have a lot of small uncompressed files,
like in windows.

Can you restore only PART of the backup. Restoring the whole image
will mess up everything you've changed since the last backup.
Stated another way, there's a difference between "backup" and "disaster
recovery". Make sure you're doing what you think you're doing.

I use Ghost 5.1d on win98 because it does all of the above. But it's
not compatible with XP and one of the major reasons I won't upgrade to
XP...well... except for all the other crap XP puts you thru.

mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
Honda CB-125S
400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $550
Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Old October 21st 03, 01:46 AM
Saml

I want a mirror image of my C: drive, so that I could take out the existing
C: drive and replace it with the backup and the machine will boot. I'd
probably duplicate the drive once a week and it can run while I'm asleep.
I've just installed XP and software on a new drive, then spent ages
downloading patches and upgrades and customizing the software. I want to
avoid that in the future.

Now there is still the issue that if my C: drive is going bad it may croak
right in the middle of the copy, and then the backup drive may also be
unusable. That's a risk I have to take and I plan to back up my critical
data to a CD on a fairly regular basis.

Data Lifeguard may do what I want. I have a copy but need to check more.
Powerquest claim that Disk Image can do the backup in the background while
you are using XP--sounds spiffy, but maybe more than I want. And apparently
Symantec has bought them.

Sam

Old October 21st 03, 10:19 AM
Albert Alcoceba

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:46:47 -0400, "Saml" wrote:

I want a mirror image of my C: drive, so that I could take out the existing
C: drive and replace it with the backup and the machine will boot. I'd
probably duplicate the drive once a week and it can run while I'm asleep.
I've just installed XP and software on a new drive, then spent ages
downloading patches and upgrades and customizing the software. I want to
avoid that in the future.

Probably running two identical drives in a RAID 1 configuration would
be what would best suit you. With RAID 1 all data is duplicated on
two identical drives. You don't need to do weekly backups or anything
- it just happens - you save something to your hard drive - it's saved
on both.

WinXP can handle RAID 1 - all you really need is is a RAID expansion
card (if your motherboard IDE controllers don't support RAID).

Albert Alcoceba

http://www.racysrailway.com/
Remove REMOVE
Old October 22nd 03, 01:43 AM
Edward J. Neth

You don't even need a RAID card - you can mirror drives under Windows
NT/2000/XP without any hardware controller.

Old October 22nd 03, 03:27 AM
Saml

This is intriguing. Where would I look to get info on this? I'm running XP
Pro.

Of course, I now seem to have mismatched HDs. The primary is an 80gb
Hitachi which PCPitstop show as having about 2.3mb uncached throughput and I
just added an 80gb WD which is showing 6.1 gb uncached throughput.
Strange...

Sam

Old October 24th 03, 04:44 AM
RDBrimmer

I've been using Drive Image and other PowerQuest products for years, I
really like it until 7 which I have had some trouble with. I am sorry to
see Symantec take over PowerQuest, I have always had good service from
PowerQuest. Symantec from what I understand from friend isn't worth the
email or phone call.
So there goes the competition again.

Ron