doom 3 arcade machine =D

Old May 11th 04, 10:06 AM
Skybuck Flying

Default doom 3 arcade machine =D

The more I think about it the more I wonder what's itall about

I just wanna play doom 3 lol.

Just skip all the bull**** and build a doom 3 arcade machine !

And be done with it =D

Skybuck.

Old May 11th 04, 08:26 PM
Bora Ugurlu

Skybuck Flying wrote:
The more I think about it the more I wonder what's itall about

I just wanna play doom 3 lol.

Just skip all the bull**** and build a doom 3 arcade machine !

And be done with it =D

Skybuck.

Sounds interesting.. Just wondering how you would fit a keyboard and a
mouse on the arcade console

Or will you tell me a joystick is good enough?
Old May 12th 04, 03:37 AM
Skybuck Flying

"Bora Ugurlu" wrote in message
Skybuck Flying wrote:
The more I think about it the more I wonder what's itall about

I just wanna play doom 3 lol.

Just skip all the bull**** and build a doom 3 arcade machine !

And be done with it =D

Skybuck.

Sounds interesting.. Just wondering how you would fit a keyboard and a
mouse on the arcade console

Or will you tell me a joystick is good enough?

Well having played shooters a lot I know exactly what is needed

Hold position

Strafe left,
Strafe right
Move forward
Move backward

Crouch / Swim down / Ladder down
Jump / Swim up / Ladder up

Turn left
Turn right
Turn up
Turn down.

Shoot wapen
Switch to next wapen
Switch to previous wapen

A player would hold two devices, one in his left hand and one in his right
or vice versa depending on he's/her liking.

The first device would control:

strafe left,
strafe right,
move foward,
move backward
strafe up / jump / ladder up / swim down ( in case of 3d device )
strafe down / crouch / ladder down / swim up ( in case of 3d device )
switch to next wapen ( in case with finger tap support )
switch to previous wapen ( in case with finger tap support )

The second device would control:

turn left,
turn right,
look up,
look down,
shoot.

These could be 2D or even 3D devices.

So one controls the game with both hands which ofcourse needs getting used
too

One starts by holding both devices at a position that is comfortable.

Then some calibration can be done as well.

As long as both devices are hold still within a certain threshold nothing
happens.

The first device: (left for me )

When the device is moved left from the center position, it strafes left,
when it is moved back to the center position strafing stops.

When the device is moved right from the center position, it strafes right,
when it is moved back to the center position strafing stops.

When the device is moved forward from the center position, the player goes
forward and continues to do so, until the device is back in the center.

When the device is moved backward from the center position, the player goes
backward and continues to do so, until the device is back in the center.

When the device is moved up from the center position, the player jumps or
goes swiming up, or goes up a ladder and continues to do so until it is
moved
back to the center again.

When the device is moved down from the center position, the player crouches
or goes swimming down, or goes down a ladder and continues to do so until it
is moved back to the center again.

The second device:

When the device goes left from the center, the player turns left depending
on how much the device is from the center.

When the device goes right from the center, the player turns right depending
on how much the device is from the center.

Notice that this is different from device1. Device 1 works like on/off.
Device 2 measures the distance... This allows the player to quickly turn
around.

Just like a mouse

When the device goes up from the center, the player looks up depending on
how much the device is from the center.

When the device goes down from the center, the player looks down depending
on how much the device is from the center.

Some players might like it like this:

When the device goes forward from the center, the player looks up depending
on how much the device is from the center.

When the device goes backward from the center, the player looks down
depending on how much the device is from the center.

Just like an airplane throttle or something... forward looks up like a plane
taking off... backwards looks down like a plane landing.

Actually we have no all moves covered... we still have 2 moves left which
could be used for something special.. or even both used for the same thing.

The best thing would be if it are gloves which you put on your hands... or
little rings which you put around your fingers.

So you don't have to hold these devices in your hands... you can just wrap
them around your fingers or hands.

Another good thing is that you now have 10 fingers available to do stuff...
You can tap your finger slighty to fire a gun.

This requires little energy...

The most important thing is that it's comfortable and requires little mussle
activity otherwise the mussles in the hands like fingers and thumb will get
tired very quickly...

At the end of the fingers in case of the glove there could even be sensors
so that fingers can be touched together to do special commands or so.

Or if tapping is to sissy like... one can contract the right hand so that it
shoots... but this would probably lead to tired mussles really fast and I
would not recommend it.

Another idea is to tap with your finger on your thumb to shoot.

Changing guns can be done as follows.

When the right most finger on the left hand is tapped it switches to next
gun

When the middle finger on the left hand is tapped it switches to previous
gun.

Well I think I have covered all the basics.

I would like to try out such a system.

This would be a better system than say a head device... because I dont want
to hurt my neck by constantly having to move my head

I just want to stair at some screen and interact with it without to much
energy

My arms could even be straped into some kind of robotic arms which support
my arms... so that my arms dont get tired...

When I move my arms the robotic arms automatically move with me to provide
support =D

That would be ultra cool !

Skybuck.

Old May 12th 04, 03:44 AM
Skybuck Flying

Actually now that I think about it some more the right/second device could
just be a gun... which has 3d positioning sensors and a trigger

It doesn't have to have a visor/aiming thing... it just primarily ment for
looking around and pulling the trigger.

The screen itself has a cursor to indicate where the gun is pointing at

Though the draw back is ofcourse that now it has to be held in the hand or
maybe not... maybe the player could just let his hand act as the gun

And just imagine he is holding a gun

That way the glove can be just to play other games as well.. wicked !

Skybuck.

Old May 12th 04, 01:12 PM
Paul

Skybuck Flying wrote:

The more I think about it the more I wonder what's itall about

I just wanna play doom 3 lol.

Just skip all the bull**** and build a doom 3 arcade machine !

And be done with it =D

Skybuck.

Trackballs sometimes work quite well for this sort of thing. Takes a bit of
getting used to though. It could be made 'clickable' to without any
problem.

Paul
Old May 12th 04, 04:08 PM
Matt

This was tried years ago with Quake 1. IT SUCKED!

Sega had a hell of a time marketing the product and it never took off.

Yeah, thats right. I said SEGA!

Matt

M and M Electronics
6661 Stanford Ranch Road
Suite F, PMB 105
Rocklin Ca 95677
916-275-5871

Old May 15th 04, 08:37 PM
First of One

You are gonna need a keyboard and mouse, no "ifs" and "buts"about it, if you
hope to stay alive in the game. So, as for "bull****", I guess you mean
Windows. Install GameOS, which replaces Explorer with a simple application
launcher, and you are good to go. :-)