Problem in booting with ASUS K8N-E Delux

Old December 8th 04, 04:13 PM
Nate

Default Problem in booting with ASUS K8N-E Delux

I upgraded my PC with a K8N-E Delux MB with an Athlon 3400+, 1 Gb ram
and a new power supply. This board will not boot to my OS/2, located
on the first SCSI drive.

When I try to boot with "SCSI card" as the first boot drive, I get the
following error messages:

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected
boot device and press a key.

The manual does not mention these specific messages.

As a stopgap measure, I had another IDE drive added to the system with
WIN XP. This boots fine and in XP I can see that all my OS/2 HPFS
formatted partitions are there. Moreover I can read the data on the
one partition (first partition in the first SCSI drive) in my original
system that is formatted for FAT.

This all tells me that the MB is good and my hard drives are all OK.

Also, I cannot boot to OS/2 install floppies. It traps on one of the
drivers, but I'm not sure which one.

I have no way to read HPFS files under XP and could install Linux (
will do that anyway, in time) to do so, but I really want to restore my
OS/2 as I have to get at some critical files.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan Liskov

Old December 8th 04, 06:11 PM
Paul

In article .com, "Nate"
wrote:

[...]

I had a look in "Boot Settings", and I see an item labelled
"Interrupt 19 capture" and it is [Disabled]. 19 happens to
be decimal for hex 0x13, and 0x13 is synonymous with disk
I/O support. Basically, if you [Enable] "Interrupt 19 capture",
I think what this does is allows the ROM on any plugin PCI
cards to support read/write BIOS calls.

The "Add On ROM Display Mode" set to Force BIOS, should
allow you to see the SCSI card BIOS prompts and info. That is
the default mode, so you shouldn't need to change it.

This is just a guess.

Also, for your OS, maybe an OS/2 newsgroup would know more
about bring-up on the newer boards.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...b9534e90eb1455

HTH,
Paul
Old December 8th 04, 08:01 PM
Nate Liskov

Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions. I had already enabled "Interrupt 19
capture".

I have made some progress in that I can now boot OS/2 via floppies. I
did this by removing all unnecessary drives (including the one that
caused a trap). This enabled me to copy my most critical data files to
the one FAT partition in my original OS/2 system that is readable from
XP.

However, I still cannot boot directly to OS/2. The error message
indicates that the new MB is just not finding my OS/2 boot partition,
rather than reading it and finding trouble with any of its drivers.
Nate Liskov