Asus A7N8X-X and AMD Athlon XP 3200+

Old October 27th 04, 08:07 PM
Information Scavenger

Default Asus A7N8X-X and AMD Athlon XP 3200+

I have had this Asus A7n8x-x MB for several months now running an AMD
Athlon XP 2200+ (1.8 ghz CPU) not overclocked in any way. I just
received an AMD XP 3200+ CPU and I was trying to find some resource on
the web to tell me the exact MB settings I should change for this CPU.
If I just put it in the machine, it detects as an AMD Athlon XP 1100+
with the multiplier set in BIOS to 100. If I change it to 133, it
displays 1900+ and 166 displays it as a 2500+ cpu...if I set it to 200
the system will not boot (until I power it completely off, then the
ASUS safe mode tells me that the CPU is set incorrectly and to go in
and change it.

I had hoped for some paper to come with my xp 3200+ to allow me to set
this BIOS correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Oh and I am running the latest version of the BIOS available from the
ASUS UPDATE utility.

Old October 27th 04, 08:40 PM
Information Scavenger

I also noticed (after reading some other posts here) that I should set
the CPU speed to 200 and leave the memory speed for SPD instead of
AUTO. When I do this, the machine will post as an AMD Athlon XP 3200+
CPU...but the system only gets as far as to the bar across the bottom
for Windows XP initial startup...then it seems to hang, my HD light
comes on for about 20 seconds, and my machine power off. If I turn it
back on once, it powers off again, but a 3rd time and it comes up and
tells me that system is not set correctly and loads bios fail safe
settings. If I leave it underclocked to a 1.1 (11 x 100) it
works...but only enough for me to get here and post

Should I also consider replacing my RAM too? The RAM I have now
(unknown brand) but is 2 sticks of 512mb (identical to each other)
which report the SPD speed at 166. Anything else I should look for or
consider running or upgrading would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old October 27th 04, 10:03 PM
dino

what RAM do you have?..PC2100,PC2700 or PC3200?..have you run memtest to
check if the ram is any good?

Old October 28th 04, 02:37 AM
Information Scavenger

The RAM I have is PC2100. Like I said in the initial post, I have 2
identical chips (512mb each) but I don't recall the brand name. I
have had them for quite some time, and they worked in this same system
with an XP 2200+ (1.8 cpu). The only thing different now is my CPU is
now a 3200+. I would like to have PC3200 and was thinking of getting
that next anyway...the problems I am having could be resolved if I
just upgrade the RAM. No I have not run any MEMTEST or anything...if
you would tell me where I could get such a utility, I'd gladly run it
but like I said I've had the ram for almost a year and have not had
any problems. I'd look and see exactly what brand they are, but they
have ram heat syncs on them and I am not sure how to remove it.

Old October 28th 04, 02:40 AM
dino

well to run an XP3200..you have the wrong ram..PC2100 is 133 .so you are
overclocking your memory by 67 mhz trying to run the CPU..not good. You need
PC3200 for that ..other than that the max you can run is 133 x 11= 1463
MHZ.So you need that mem upgrade soon.

Old October 28th 04, 07:49 AM
Information Scavenger

Ok thanks...I had a pretty good suspicion that had something to do
with it...I am currently running at 1100 which I will continue to run
at until my new ram gets here Thanks!

Old October 28th 04, 08:37 AM
Paul

Information Scavenger wrote:

Ok thanks...I had a pretty good suspicion that had something to do
with it...I am currently running at 1100 which I will continue to run
at until my new ram gets here Thanks!

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:40:57 -0400, "dino" wrote:

well to run an XP3200..you have the wrong ram..PC2100 is 133 .so you are
overclocking your memory by 67 mhz trying to run the CPU..not good. You need
PC3200 for that ..other than that the max you can run is 133 x 11= 1463
MHZ.So you need that mem upgrade soon.

Why not try setting the CPU clock to 200MHz, then set the
Memory Frequency to 66% ? That will run the PC2100 memory
at DDR266, while the FSB is at FSB400 (the rated speed of
your processor front side bus).

The Nforce2 can be picky about the RAM you use with it,
so it is still possible it won't run properly when set up
that way. If that is the case, I guess you'll find out
what is going on when your new RAM gets here. I couldn't
get above about 185MHz until I got some new RAM, and now
I can do 200MHz no problem. So, your new RAM might make
the difference.

Something to be aware of with 3200+ processors, is there
has been a bit of fraud with them. Some people on Ebay
sell processors that are remarked 2500+ processors. There
are even cases of internet retailers selling the same kind
of crap. It can take some careful examination of the bridges
on the top of the chip, or look for conductive paint applied
to the bottom of the chip (with some color matching paint put
over it, to hide the modification). One remarked processor
was "adjusted" to demand more than the normal amount of
Vcore, which kind of "gives away" the forgery. You don't have
to assume every 3200+ is a forgery, but if you find it still
won't run at 200MHz with your new RAM, I'd pull the chip out
of the socket, clean off the thermal compound, and have a
careful look at what you bought.

The only part of the processor that cannot be faked by modding
the bridges, is the family code inside the processor. CPUZ
will tell you it is a model 10 (a Barton), and that is the
only parameter you can trust, because it is a parameter which
is stored inside the silicon die. The rest of the processor
info is configurable, and a good remarker will start with a
2500+, because all that you need to change is the FSB code
to read 200MHz. Some remarkers don't even bother with that,
and they just replace the label on the top of the chip with
a fake 3200+ label (the font used sometimes looks screwy).
In a case like that, the processor comes up at 133MHz or 166MHz,
and the user simply assumes that the speed has to be set
manually. But if the processor isn't happy at 200MHz, or it
needs the Vcore bumped up a bit, that could mean things are
not what they seem.

If you look at the info here, you can see how easy it is to
use a 2500+ to fake a 3200+. Changing the clock speed from
166 to 200MHz is all that is needed, and if the processor
comes up asking for 166MHz by default, I'd be asking a few
questions...

XP Model 10 2200 (3200+) OPGA 200 512 11x 1.65V 85oC 60.4W
Barton 2100 (3000+) OPGA 200 512 10.5x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W

XP Model 10 2167 (3000+) OPGA 166 512 13x 1.65V 85oC 58.4W
Barton 2083 (2800+) OPGA 166 512 12.5x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W
1917 (2600+) OPGA 166 512 11.5x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W
1833 (2500+) OPGA 166 512 11x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W

HTH,
Paul
Old November 1st 04, 10:09 PM
Information Scavenger

I got my RAM in today...unfortunately it did not seem to fix the
problem. The RAM I got in was Atlas Precision PC3200 200mhz
memory...but before windows loads, it powers my PC off and will not
boot up for the next 3 or so power ons...then it powers on
(underclocked and set safely at 100 making it an 1100 mhz machine).

The RAM I got I ordered from 1stchoicememory.com and they allow you to
go thru a big selection of brands of motherboards etc and I got the
best RAM they recommended for my machine. Any other ideas or
suggestions? I am running BIOS revision 1010.

Old November 2nd 04, 02:11 AM
Information Scavenger

If my chip has been re-marked from a 2500, wouldn't my BIOS be wanting
to run it with a multiplier of 12.5 (12.5 x 200 would be 2500)? My
BIOS AUTO setting for the multiplier keeps going to 11 making me think
something else could be wrong.

When you mentioned VCORE below, is that some kind of jumper setting
that would make a difference one way or another or is it something
embedded into the CPU?

Right now as far as I know, my RAM is 100% compatable - Atlas
Precision PC3200 at64x64s-pc3200 and the CPU is supposed to be an
Athlon XP 3200+. The RAM says it wants to run at 200 fsb on both Auto
and SPD so I think the ram is probably OK.

If I go into BIOS and make sure the (is it the FSB?) is set to 200 the
system reports AMD Athlon XP 3200+ but before windows gets completely
loaded (I do see the LOADING WINDOWS logo) the system reboots itself.
I see the normal post screen for the BIOS info, and then before it
would get to the point where I could press DEL to go into setup, my
system completely powers itself off al the way. Then if I turn it
back on, I hear it all power up but before I get video it shuts off
again. If I turn it back on again, it resets the BIOS settings to the
safest and slowest settings, leaving it with a 100 fsb and it detects
as an Athlon XP 1100+.

I have run my system for about a week and a half at this underclocked
setting and it has worked rock-solid (of course its just not at the
speed it should be) so I am guessing something overheats or just can't
handle the load properly. I suppose its possible my CPU has been
marked incorrectly and sold somewhere as something its not supposed to
be, but I hate to keep taking CPU's in and out of my system...

I have another identical motherboard but its only just arrived and is
not in a system. I need to get another PS and see if I can get it to
work properly on that MB to make SURE its not mine...but I've never
had problems with my MB before...and it is (as far as I know) running
the most recent BIOS version of 1010.

Old November 2nd 04, 02:29 AM
DonC

A 2500+ does NOT run at 2.5Ghz. 11x166.6 = 1.833GHz which is what a 2500+
is supposed to run.

At a "safe" 100MHz that many MBs default to, you'd get 11 X 100 = 1.100GHz.

Try setting your FSB to 166 as this CPU expects and you should see it as a
2500+ running 1.833GHz.

wrote:

[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!