No video problem

Old July 18th 03, 09:49 PM
Pat Blank

Default No video problem

Hello All,

I'm troubleshooting a PC that doesn't provide any video. When I move the
memory around in the slots and reset the CMOS I get a long beep, one
after another. If I restart the computer the beeps stop, but the
computer fails to show any video. I can't tell if the system goes
through POST or not, it seems it doesn't but if I turn the system off I
have to hold the power switch for a few seconds indicating to me that
the POST has completed and the OS is loading. The monitor seems to get
some kind of signal from the video card since it doesn't power down at
all. I have done the following in order to correct the problem:

- Removed PCI and ISA cards form their slots
- Removed the memory and swapped them around to check for a bad stick
- Removed all but one stick of memory
- Check video using original AGP card
- Check video using known-good PCI video card in different PCI slots
- Reseated CPU
- Pulled motherboard out of case and tried to boot with CPU, memory and
video card only - In all cases I reset CMOS before trying to boot

Nothing has worked leading me to believe that it is possibly the CPU or
motherboard which is at fault. One thing that makes me think it is the
CPU is that I remember that the person who owns the PC said that he was
having a overheating problem. When I check the CPU the heatsink was on
VERY loosely. The CPU barely made an impression in the thermal pad, and
had no grease on it at all. I'm thinking that it has been running hot
all along and finally failed. Unfortunately I don't have a CPU to
replace it right now. It's a Celeron 466 in a slocket.

System specs:
Abit VA6 motherboard
Celeron 466 in slocket
256mb sdram (all different makes) 2x64MB and 1x128MB

Hope someone can tell me what I'm missing. I would appreciate it.

--
Pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)hotmail(dot)com

Old July 19th 03, 12:21 AM
Terry

I have a CUV-NT MB and 600 mhz Pentium on Ebay now....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=42 006&rd=1
"D" wrote in message
Sounds like you covered all the bases. Given what you indicate regarding

the
heatsink/fan being loose, I would have to agree; the cpu is most likely
shot.

"Pat Blank" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

---

Video card problem Bruce General 3 July 5th 04 08:30 AM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Help! NF7-M problem: onboard video crashes OS Andy Overclocking AMD Processors 1 September 22nd 03 07:34 AM
Strange video problem: Random standby mode switching ttvp Homebuilt PC's 0 June 23rd 03 11:37 PM